British Speedway Forum
barneys barnstormers

Closed Tracks (where)

Aren't one or two of the roads where Southampton's Bannister Court was named after former riders?

Don't know about that! but there is a Charles Knott Gardens and I think I remember seeing some flats called Bannister Court. Bannister Road of course is still there.

Swindon's first track - from 1928 to 1930 - was at The Autodrome, behind the Duke of Edingburgh pub in Gorse Hill. I assume that would be the piece of grassland in this picture. Click

According to the late Bob Jones the Autodrome was the piece of land where Tiverton road is now.

His friends' father owned the Duke of Edingburgh pub and had the keys to the stadium. The story told to me was. Bob used the track to practice on.

According to the late Bob Jones the Autodrome was the piece of land where Tiverton road is now.

His friends' father owned the Duke of Edingburgh pub and had the keys to the stadium. The story told to me was. Bob used the track to practice on.

Interesting. Certainly a bit of a "speedway" shape to it. Thanks for that. Funny how that area was used for houses but the rest remains grassland isn't it.

I would say the strangest piece of housing development is at the old Sandbahn track in Hamburg.They seem to have used the outline of the track for the street and housing!!!!It is almost like you could still hold a meeting inbetween the houses.

Just have to put in "Max-Herz-Ring,22159 Hamburg" into googlemaps to see what i mean :blink:

Edited by iris123

Just have to put in "Max-Herz-Ring,22159 Hamburg" into googlemaps to see what i mean :blink:

Almost laughable! :unsure:

I struggle to like this idea... Half of me thinks, what a good way of remembering what was there formally. The other half of me thinks, the council has the gall to accept the planning application and in some cases possibly reject the speedway going anywhere else in the borough then call roads after the speedway. For example one of the roads on the Cradley site is called stadium drive. It almost feels like they are laughing at us. Just my opinion of course.

There was a lot of discussion about this on the Cradley web site a few years ago. some were in favour of some sort of recognition, but the vast majority felt that we wanted nothing to do with anything that Barratts "built" on the site.

Sadly, I don't believe that Tiptree Close, Peldon Close, Galleywood Drive and Danbury Drive reflect any of the history of Leicester Speedway

Not aware of any "Hunters" streetnames

Ah right, sorry I must have mis-remembered reading that this was the case..

Lived in Leicester (and followed the Lions) from 1978 to 1981 but have not been to the part of town where that fantastic stadium was since it was pulled down... :cry:

Here's to a return to Speedway in the city by 2010... :approve:

Ah right, sorry I must have mis-remembered reading that this was the case..

Lived in Leicester (and followed the Lions) from 1978 to 1981 but have not been to the part of town where that fantastic stadium was since it was pulled down... :cry:

Here's to a return to Speedway in the city by 2010... :approve:

Right opposite where the arena was,is a Stadium Place(I seem to remember that being there during the racing days?) Just beyond that is none other than Belle Vue Avenue!

Sadly, I don't believe that Tiptree Close, Peldon Close, Galleywood Drive and Danbury Drive reflect any of the history of Leicester Speedway

Not aware of any "Hunters" streetnames

Right! This is bugging me now and I think it's time I went for a drive around the estate tomorrow.

I have always meant to go back and take a few photos of where the stadium once stood to add to my Leicester Speedway album on Webshots. After nearly 26 years I might just manage it without crying. :sad:

Scunthorpe - Quibell Park is still a running track but not one that you could lay shale on top of on a weekly basis http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&...&iwloc=addr

Scunthorpe - Ashby Ville has a trading estate on it. The main occupant being Morrisons but I would say the track was positioned across the road, probably in the car park of Burger King, Argos etc.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&...&iwloc=addr

I thought Leicester was in the Parker Drive / Blackbird Road area

Well, there you are. Parker Drive. Is that Jack or Norman? :wink:

Well, there you are. Parker Drive. Is that Jack or Norman? :wink:

Yes, and Carl Blackbird, no doubt

The old stadium site is bounded by Wiltshire Road (Todd?) and Somerset Avenue (always popular visitors!)

Off Abbey Lane close to the site , by the way, is Byford Road !

And just along Parker Drive is Norwich Road

etc etc etc!!!

Fleetwood still exists as a football stadium so I believe.