British Speedway Forum
Bagpuss

Great Britain V Australia U25 Test Match

It was good to see all the "younger" lads riding last night, but very disappointing meeting. I had been looking forward to going to this meeting for a while as do enjoy watching the Aussies ride. But there is just no passing at Ipswich. What ever the gating positions tends to be the finishing positions. Very disappointing and just no atmosphere in the grounds at all. Couldnt go to Mildenhall on Sunday due to work commitments, but think that would have been the better meeting to have attended.

Was so looking forward to this meeting. What a disappointment, no atmoshphere in the ground desite the large crowd and only one race with passing. The only form of entertainment was the Ipswich "supporter" standing beside me, who for some reason laughed loudly when Chris Holder came off in the first heat and then announced in an even louder voice that "Chris Holder cannot control a Speedway Bike and will be absolute rubbish and a danger in the Grand Prix Series next year"! He then continued to spout his speedway wisdom to all around him, including me and my friends, for the rest of the meeting. As far as we could all make out, Australians cannot ride speedway, only British Riders! So at least there was a few laughs throughout the night. Would just like to say, Good Luck to Chris Holder in the Grand Prix Season 2010.

Sadly you will always get planks at every track, seems like you had the misfortune to find ours :unsure: . The majority of Ipswich fans really rate Chris Holder, and to balance the argument would probably not support Lewis Bridger (for obvious reasons!!) so must have been a one off. Apologies from Foxhall Heath.

Sadly Kevin decided last season that it would be his last due to work commitments and the fact that he had done the presenting for 11 years, but in truth he is a hard act to follow, and as he is most definitely a one off, things have had to change.

Can only echo whats been said really...pretty dull meeting on a track which badly needs a re-shape. Hopefully the talked about changes will happen this winter :)

Add Bridger, King and a fully functioning Barker machine into the equation and I don'y think the Brits are too far away from the Aussies at this level on last night's evidence.

He does most peoples heads in. Bring back Kevin Long, he had a great banter with the riders and a wicked sense of humour. We had him back for one meeting this year and the atmosphere was decidely better.

AMEN to that, but failing persuading Kevin back Chris and John Louis should definitely be putting an ad in the local rag for a new, enthusiastic, knowledgable speedway presenter for next season!!

I agree totally about the programme, was shocked when I saw the front cover, for god's sake, no thought put into it at all ............... oh well eh :(

I've been going to Foxhall most weeks since about 1982 and in my view any lack of passing is not solely due to the track shape. I have witnessed processional meetings at every track I've been to, even at GP level they have been dull this year by and large. As the bikes continue to output more power and the changes in style required it's easier than ever for a rider to stay in front, especially on the almost universal slick tracks. Let me tell you there are riders who can pass regularly at Foxhall, Nicholls & Harris being two, but I don't think there is as much skill required with the throttle these days as in the past.

At many tracks you can simply hold it on full most of the time. What's needed is a reduction in power/revs for the bikes and heavier tracks where you simply can't keep full throttle all the way around. When faced with tracks which are like this many of todays riders struggle badly. 15 years ago you would rarely see riders go right round the fence line because the risk of a crash/lift/losing ground due to a mistake was high. That isn't the case any more so there is no fear and what used to separate those who could use that bit of the outside line and engineer a pass has now disappeared.

The track changes are definitely happening, the markings on the green were there for all to see last night and its due to take place soon after the 16 lapper next week which is really exciting news.

Personally, i think the lack of passing at Foxhall is more to do with the track prep. I thought last night again there wasn't a lot of material down and it was very very slick which we all know is not likely to produce good racing. I've been a regular for donkey's years and i've seen some awesome racing on this very same track. But it has to be said the last couple of seasons the racing hasn't been as good as previous years. The air fence hasn't helped either as its made the track even narrower. But the racers still manage passes though. Swiderski was passing riders for fun last year with absolute ease every single week. Just as Loram and Louis did before him and just as Nicholls and Harris (if he rides) will do next week in the 16 lapper. More dirt would be nice though!!

I agree passing IS possible at Foxhall as Loram, Louis & Swidders have proved in recent years, but unfortunately theres too few riders capable of doing it & I think sorting the track out is the only way we're likely to see entertaining racing.

The programme is a rip-off, no effort made whatsoever, bearing in mind this was a big meeting by Ipswich standards.

The atmosphere at Foxhall can be good, but it helps to have something to get excited about, which doesn't happen enough these days!

OK first thoughts, disappointment, the sooner they change the track the better imo. Too many processional races full stop. Announcer was terrible, all he was concerned about was reminding everyone about the 16 lapper and a motocross meeting being held locally ............ hardly the thing for an International meeting! Good crowd but no bloody atmosphere whatsoever!!

I know I'm totally bias but had that meeting been at King's Lynn I don't think I'd have the same thoughts as tonight.

It was good practice to get the young teams together but perhaps wrong end of the season, do summat similar at the start of the season and NOT at Foxhall :)

Sadly I can only agree, a very dissapointing evening which says so much about the Ipswich set -up and their approach.

The track we all know about and hopefully Chris Louis will get the track changed this wimter to give the supporters a decent racing track.

The presentation as you say was terrible, the announcer seemed more interested in the 16 lapper next week, no mention of Chris Harris :rolleyes: , and kept saying Witches!! He and the other guy created no atmosphere at the track and often finishes were greeted with muted and polite applause.

They couldn't even be bothered to change the programme cover for this International meeting, still the same picture on the front, thats right the one with Hampel, Lanham, Smith, Swiderski on the front :rolleyes: Cheapskates!!

The racing was processional and hardly exciting stuff, pity this meeting hadn't gone to Peterborough!

It should have been a briliant night, sadly it wasn't. Ipswich must do better if they ever get this type of meeting again :unsure:

Edited by PhilK

Probably the reason the meeting was held at Foxhall, was because Chris Louis arranged it all :rolleyes: , he's hardly likely to have gone to all that much trouble to let another track have it is he?? I'm afraid I don't have a programme so can't comment on it, however I can understand your annoyance, the announcer... Radio Suffolk's finest :P

I'm very sorry but I am one of the OLD brigade where TEST matches are over 18 heats and no such thing as R/R ,matches like these do nothing for me

In the old days, riders didn't "breakdown" on the way to riding for their country :rolleyes: .

When it was found out that Danny was not fit to ride, Schrammy dropped everything at 11am to answer the call from Rob Lyon, and he rode with the passion (ok not a like for like replacement for Danny) that we want to see of riders representing their country B)

I agree with others the "presenter" is absolutely attrocious. The promotion gave him a go, but its failed miserably and they must try someone else or preferable try and twist Kevin Long's arm in to returning. Even if he only does some of them. The most enjoyable meeting at Foxhall this season for me was the one where Kevin stepped in to present after "Fozz" was on holiday (pity he didn't stay there). We even lost that meeting but i still enjoyed it more than any other because of Mr Long's presenting. Cracking jokes left right and centre, winding opposition fans up (in a friendly way), geeing up the crowd etc etc. It could be the most boring and dull meeting in the world and Kevin would still make you think it was the best!!

The dreary tones of "Fozz" just sends me to sleep i'm afraid. He's awful.

Ive been saying all year about Fozz and his monotone voice. As soon as he introduces the riders on the parade lap in pairs, my excitement for that evening dissapears almost immediatly. Why dont they have an evening at the local pub or something and ask peoplre to come along and apply for the post, someone that has a good voice and knows how to inject enthusiasm, like the chap at Eastbourne and Lakeside do.

Was so looking forward to this meeting. What a disappointment, no atmoshphere in the ground desite the large crowd and only one race with passing. The only form of entertainment was the Ipswich "supporter" standing beside me, who for some reason laughed loudly when Chris Holder came off in the first heat and then announced in an even louder voice that "Chris Holder cannot control a Speedway Bike and will be absolute rubbish and a danger in the Grand Prix Series next year"! He then continued to spout his speedway wisdom to all around him, including me and my friends, for the rest of the meeting. As far as we could all make out, Australians cannot ride speedway, only British Riders! So at least there was a few laughs throughout the night. Would just like to say, Good Luck to Chris Holder in the Grand Prix Season 2010.

The guy dosen't have a clue!