British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
greyhoundp

Cradley Heathens <post 1980 All Time Team >

They certainly sound familiar...especially Leo McAuliffe, who, of course, rode for New Cross.

By the way, do you mean Tim Bungay?

Oh yeah!! So I do! Tim Bungay.

I only ever went to Cradley once and it was one of the happiest nights of my speedway life as it was the night West Ham completed the treble in 1965 - the first year of the British League. :D:D:D

I can't remember any of the Cradley riders I'm sorry to say, but I can remember the West Ham team. (I'll look up the programme tonight and see who was riding for Cradley - unless anyone can tell me in the meantime.)

47-31 to the Hammers

Cradley

John Hart 7

Goog Allan 6

Leo Mcauliffe 5

Eric Hockaday 5

Ivor Hughes 4

Chris Julian 4

George Major 0.

West Ham

Sverre Harrfeldt 12

Ken Mckinlay 9

Malc Simmons 9

Norman Hunter 8

Brian Leonard 5

Tony Clarke 2

Reg Trott 2

I only ever went to Cradley once and it was one of the happiest nights of my speedway life as it was the night West Ham completed the treble in 1965 - the first year of the British League.  :D  :D  :D

I can't remember any of the Cradley riders I'm sorry to say, but I can remember the West Ham team. (I'll look up the programme tonight and see who was riding for Cradley - unless anyone can tell me in the meantime.)

47-31 to the Hammers

Cradley

John Hart 7

Goog Allan 6

Leo Mcauliffe 5

Eric Hockaday 5

Ivor Hughes 4

Chris Julian 4

George Major 0.

West Ham

Sverre Harrfeldt 12

Ken Mckinlay 9

Malc Simmons 9

Norman Hunter 8

Brian Leonard 5

Tony Clarke 2

Reg Trott 2

That's what my programme says! :)

Ken McKinlay won the second half from Sverre Harrfeldt with Norman Hunter third.

Brian Leonard won the reserves second half event.

A good night for the Hammers :D

Mind you, he wasn't as good as Ken! Ken got 9 points from three rides. He had engine failure before his first race. And then, as I have said above, Ken beat Sverre in the second half final.

Sorry Heathens fans for completely hi-jacking this thread! :D

By the end of the 1965 season according to Peter Foster's history of the Heathens the side were in disarray, with top man Ivor Brown out injured.

Re the match you talk about Norbold..."In a match at Dudley Wood against West Ham, Hart(Johnny) again walked out, claiming that conditions were too bad to take part, and the Heathens took another trouncing"

Don't think it could have been the same match, salty. John Hart took his four programmed rides and took one as a tactical substitute as well in the last heat. He also took part in the second half, although he suffered engine failure.

Edited by norbold

Cheers Norbold,

I will have to check, can't see that we would have ridden you more than once that season though. As it happens the 2nd match I ever saw was a double header at the end of the 68 season Heathens v Hackney followed by the Hammers. Hurri-Ken got 3 wins.....but 40-38 to the Heathens.

There was a challenge match on 21 August at Cradley, which West Ham won 46 or 47-31.

The report in the 7 September West Ham programme says, "At full strength we have been to Cradley, where, under terrible conditions, we agreed to race a challenge fixture...our boys stormed home 46-31 (the back of the programme results list gives the score as 47-31), Sverre and Malcolm riding unbeaten throughout.

"With our league championship hopes far from doused, we certainly needed those two League points at Cradley; but we are men of our word. We agreed to race a challenge and we will honour that agreement.

"In any case, our lads are confident that they can return to Cradley and win again."

Sounds like that was the match.

Norbold.

Thanks for that info, I stand corrected.

Can anbody tell did a rider called Howard Cole ever ride for the Heathens. ;)

Howard Cole?,yep he did,i also believe he used to be known in his earlier days as Kid Bodie,yep just checked it out on the web site,he did not want his parents or teachers to know he was riding,Any Cradley facts can be checked out on the web site;www.cradleyspeedway.co.uk

Edited by greyhoundp