British Speedway Forum

THE Danes get much better funding and government support than Brits do, especially for speedway.

Would love to see Robert Lambert go to Denmark for a week with Erik Gundersen. This is a critical time in his development and would benefit hugely from having Gundo teach him the ropes.

Erik is great no doubt about that,but at the moment i think his role is being overstated in the development of Michael Jepsen Jensen,Mikkel Bech and Michelsen for instance.All of them were well on the way to the top before Erik took over.I think Liglad might have been at that time 80cc European Champion.I think it will be the riders that come after these guys and so far with the likes of Kenni Nissen they haven't made much of a mark.......

I THINK you will find that the Danish trio you quote above all pay huge homage to the role Gundo played. Overstated? No, understated? Probably.

Erik has been a massive influence and deserves credit for what he has achieved.

• Like 1

Like i said i think the real success must be judged by those that follow these three.Actually in the interview this week with Liglad he does give Erik credit,but of course huge credit is given to his father and some credit to ErikI did actually see the kids as they were then riding and can say that they were obvious stars of the future before Erik took control and Liglad even at that stage had a little international following.

Edited by iris123
  • Like 1

THE Danes get much better funding and government support than Brits do, especially for speedway.

Would love to see Robert Lambert go to Denmark for a week with Erik Gundersen. This is a critical time in his development and would benefit hugely from having Gundo teach him the ropes.

I know I keep Posting this - but - Erik Gundersen has already offered to help British Speedway with the youngsters. The 'Powers that be' just won't take him up on it. Very short sighted and sad in my opinion.

• Like 1

I know I keep Posting this - but - Erik Gundersen has already offered to help British Speedway with the youngsters. The 'Powers that be' just won't take him up on it. Very short sighted and sad in my opinion.

In similar vein to the Darren & Sharon Boocock Scholarship, which is mainly funded by a few companies and far-sighted individuals for the betterment of British Speedway, and receives no official help..

Don't forget as with the other smaller/tiny speedway nations we would have a British rider at the British Grand Prix courtesy of the Wild Card. So those who only go to cheer on a Brit more than going to see the world's elite ride would be ok even without a regular representative in the series.

Incidentally to be honest i'm one of those who simply do not see Tai as a Brit at all. However, that's been debated to the death many a time so fair enough, i think we're all deeply entrenched in our opinions on that. Also, in the modern age of sportspeople flying a 'Flag Of Convinience' speedway is no different. I still can't get over how many of the England cricket team have spoken with deep South African accents over the years. The USA seemed to snap up any eastern european Tennis player or gymnast amongst many other sports too.

Edited by manchesterpaul

Don't forget as with the other smaller/tiny speedway nations we would have a British rider at the British Grand Prix courtesy of the Wild Card. So those who only go to cheer on a Brit more than going to see the world's elite ride would be ok even without a regular representative in the series.

Incidentally to be honest i'm one of those who simply do not see Tai as a Brit at all. However, that's been debated to the death many a time so fair enough, i think we're all deeply entrenched in our opinions on that. Also, in the modern age of sportspeople flying a 'Flag Of Convinience' speedway is no different. I still can't get over how many of the England cricket team have spoken with deep South African accents over the years. The USA seemed to snap up any eastern european Tennis player or gymnast amongst many other sports too.

Does Tomas Gollob wear British Underpants? :wink:

If so, does this qualify him to ride for England. :wink:

Yes - the System really is about that daft. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

SO you only went to see Chris Harris?

I have been to Cardiff almost every year since it started but only to see the British riders. If there weren't any in it (or I had no affinity with them) then I would save my money and not go.

Sportowefakty are suggesting that there is going to be a change in the way the scoring is done for the 2013 series-possibly for the final.It seems this has been agreed with the FIM and confirmation to be announced shortly.

So now you can win a GP and still have less points than someone who finishes last in a semi-final. Doesn't seem right to me but as I'm not that bothered, I'm not that bothered!

THE winner of each GP is the rider who wins the final. The points scored on the night eventually determine who wins the World Championship. Simples

THE winner of each GP is the rider who wins the final. The points scored on the night eventually determine who wins the World Championship. Simples

Which actually proves what a stupid System applies in the GP. You can have a World Champion who has NEVER won a GP that year. Mark Loram is an example.

A silly System.