British Speedway Forum
dantodan

British Speedway Promoters Meeting

The death of the Elite League has just been announced! RIP

Well I say good. British Speedway cannot afford and Elite League and cannot afford to carry on as it was.

OK we can argue whether the approach is right or wrong but SOMETHING had to happen and at least the current crop of promoters have done something about it.

If Rick Frost and his millions cannot keep Peterborough going then which club would be next

I for once say well done to the promoters for at least recognise change is needed and having a go at making change

As for the continual whining its not Elite any more, who cares what its called, change the name, at least some cost cutting means we will have level of high end class racing in the UK in the future

• Like 4

With the confidence in having a new TV deal imminent, I guess that the BSPA announcement so far is equivalent to a Plan A?! As soon as the TV deal is confirmed, then expect Plan B to appear!

All sounds very good and I think the reserves will still get 4 rides just 2 of them as reserve races which is good news I also think it ll bring back some good racing just think if one of these lads pops out the start and then 4 laps of will he or won t he stay in front. Only thing is what if the draft riders say no to el or the club there drafted to ???

• Like 1

Think we already know the first rule change at the 2014 annual conference

Well I say good. British Speedway cannot afford and Elite League and cannot afford to carry on as it was.

OK we can argue whether the approach is right or wrong but SOMETHING had to happen and at least the current crop of promoters have done something about it.

If Rick Frost and his millions cannot keep Peterborough going then which club would be next

I for once say well done to the promoters for at least recognise change is needed and having a go at making change

As for the continual whining its not Elite any more, who cares what its called, change the name, at least some cost cutting means we will have level of high end class racing in the UK in the future

But they haven't done anything other than introduce NL riders into the league (a questionable move at best) and dropped the points limit.

The (supposed) expensive riders (in other words the GP stars) who want to be here will still be. Ward and Holder will still line up for Poole. Iversen for Kings Lynn etc.

So where's the cost cutting?

Edited by G the Bee

utter rubbish as per usual, do these idiots spend the whole weekend getting pissed.

• Like 1

utter rubbish as per usual, do these idiots spend the whole weekend getting pissed.

Only during the negotiations.

Would it not have made more sense to encourage more riders from the Premier league to move up , making more room for National League riders to move up to reserves in the Premier League ?

• Like 8

I suppose I should be celebrating Leicester's elevation into the Elite League, but I can't. What a total shambles we are joining! Introducing NL riders into the EL, even in the half-assed way they have announced, is a terrible idea, poorly conceived and obviously not thought through properly. I cannot justify paying inflated admission and programme prices to watch what will be on offer in 2014.

• Like 2

Just been announced on SpeedwayGB site:- To give the sports more media coverage, the NL rider alocation for the coming week will be drawn out by Ronne Russell on the BBCs The National Lottery Live show.

• Like 4

Hasn't anybody realised why its NL riders?

NL riders are British only.

The BSPA believe that restricting reserve positions in a fully professional league is illegal. They've also tried to convince the Swedish authorities if the illegality. IT ISN'T ILLEGAL under EU rules. But the BSPA still don't understand this.

MY understanding is that the heats involving NL riders will be "protected" which presumably means they will only race against each other...

Yes but it seems they won't be riding against EL riders, just against each other. So it's just a mini NL match.

And if your 4th or 5th averaged rider is injured your f.....! much like the EL next year!

• Like 1

SImple question here but have the BSPA looked at this properly? Currently riders with a PL average over 4.00 can't ride in the NL also so Kerr, Ellis, Nielsen, Morris, Blackbird to name a few are forced to enter the EL as riders in the main body, without giving them the security of heat 2. I mean that with no disrepect at all, as looking at my signature will show you that I'm a staunch advocate of the NL but I don't see how it is helpful by throwing these riders in at the deep end, whilst riders of lesser ability still will be up against the likes of Woffinden in the EL when they're not yet ready for the PL!