British Speedway Forum
dantodan

British Speedway Promoters Meeting

True, but a lot of what you say is your assumption. All I said was give the BPSA time to detail their plans when a lot of the negatives should be answered. I personally don't think they went far enough.

I won't argue with you there we all assume when we are poorly informed. I agree with you let's give them time but like many here I am not convinced they will deliver and their track record is not good sadly. It will be a couple of interesting few months let's hope for once this crew can actually deliver something :)

They have two races against riders of the same level, they still get to ride in NL and PL and what they are to be paid hasn't been disclosed. I have already of one rider who is likely to be in the 20 who will jump at the chance if asked. There is no compulsion, they can opt out if offered the chance.

I'm sure there will be many who will jump at the chance, and many who will consequently be demoralised when they are banished back to the NL half way through the season when their scores don't live up to the team's expectation.

I'm sure many riders would jump at a chance to be fast tracked into the GP's, too - that doesn't make it the right thing to do.

Their scores will still count towrds the team whether their heats are protected or not - let's see how long it is before some of the lads are dropped or "rotated" out of the "chosen 20".

Edited by Shale Shaker
  • Like 1

I'm sure there will be many who will jump at the chance, and many who will consequently be demoralised when they are banished back to the NL half way through the season when their scores don't live up to the team's expectation.

I'm sure many riders would jump at a chance to be fast tracked into the GP's, too - that doesn't make it the right thing to do.

Their scores will still count towrds the team whether their heats are protected or not - let's see how long it is before some of the lads are dropped or "rotated" out of the "chosen 20".

Why would they be banished back to the NL?

I wouldnt be surprised to see all 20 allocated to be in PL sides anyway and the A grade riders wont bein the NL at all.

I think the biggest problem will be when an A grade is injured- do you allow the other A graders to guest or do you promote from further down the list?

The first option defeats the development ethos and the second severely weakens the affected team.

Why do so many people assume they know more than the BSPA about Speedway? You may not like the way they do things but it's fact that they are running tracks while the vast majority of us are looking in as outsiders with varying degrees of knowledge. There are very, very few on here who know even the basics of running a Speedway track and maybe one or two who have the in depth knowledge of the promoters.

You/we may not like their decisions but given the fact that they have all the required information to arrive at a decision and non of us do it seems a bit daft to just assume they are stupid. In general they have somehow made enough money to run a Speedway track whether as a business or an expensive hobby, the vast majority of us have been unable to make enough money to consider it even if we wanted to.

It's all a bit like the postman telling the bricklayer how to lay bricks because he saw somebody else do it once, or the brickie telling the postie the best way to deliver letters because it's obvious - even though he's never actually done it. Assuming somebody is stupid because they don't do things the way an amateur thinks best seems a bit, well, stupid!

Exactly!

Why do so many people assume they know more than the BSPA about Speedway? You may not like the way they do things but it's fact that they are running tracks while the vast majority of us are looking in as outsiders with varying degrees of knowledge. There are very, very few on here who know even the basics of running a Speedway track and maybe one or two who have the in depth knowledge of the promoters.

You/we may not like their decisions but given the fact that they have all the required information to arrive at a decision and non of us do it seems a bit daft to just assume they are stupid. In general they have somehow made enough money to run a Speedway track whether as a business or an expensive hobby, the vast majority of us have been unable to make enough money to consider it even if we wanted to.

It's all a bit like the postman telling the bricklayer how to lay bricks because he saw somebody else do it once, or the brickie telling the postie the best way to deliver letters because it's obvious - even though he's never actually done it. Assuming somebody is stupid because they don't do things the way an amateur thinks best seems a bit, well, stupid!

History I would imagine...

So we are not allowed opinions? Just because the promoters put their money in and run the clubs does not, in all cases, mean they know what they're doing.

• Like 1

Why do people assume that when people debate these issue they are assuming they know more than the BSPA?

It's a discussion forum and people are discussing things.

People discuss football without running Man Utd or managing the England team so why can't they do it in speedway? :)

I once discussed the Moon landings but am not an astronaut.

• Like 1

http://www.speedwaygb.co/news.php?extend.23260

I think this makes it clear; it is an Elite League idea and a particularly stupid one at that. It has the potential to be a farce; can you imagine be allocated two young riders who can't afford top equipment; seeing them get beaten every week and your team beaten because of their poor scores? It is an ill judged, ill thought out decision by an Elite league who are bereft of ideas. It would be interesting to know what the NL & PL teams think about it?

• Like 4

I think this makes it clear; it is an Elite League idea and a particularly stupid one at that. It has the potential to be a farce; can you imagine be allocated two young riders who can't afford top equipment; seeing them get beaten every week and your team beaten because of their poor scores? It is an ill judged, ill thought out decision by an Elite league who are bereft of ideas. It would be interesting to know what the NL & PL teams think about it?

Why will they get beaten every week, they have two reserves races against the other reserves and they still get to ride in other leagues (all three if they get the chances and accept them).
  • Like 1

I don't think it makes it clear at all. It's an announcement of a proven idea, which as he says "details to follow" and then people can judge it with more knowledge.

• Like 1

I wish people would take the trouble to read the latest posts from those 'in the know' eg Tsunami, amongst others.

Also the statement on www.speedwaygp.com by Jon Cook gives more detail and fills in some of the gaps in the original (rushed!) headline statement issued Sunday.

• Like 1

On the face of it the idea ticks a number of boxes.

It helps cut costs.

It makes it easier for clubs to keep the top boys in the UK.

Which makes the league more attractive to the TV companies.

The 20 young Brits should develop and help the sport nationally.

Gets rid of the low average foreigners!

The devil will be in the detail (as Tsunami mentions)

What riders will qualify for these positions? (and how will it affect their positions with other clubs in other leagues)

Who goes where?

What changes will take place to the match format?

How will Matt Ford come out of it at an advantage?

Can we trust the powers that be to implement this fairly and appropriately????

Edited by salty
  • Like 3

I don't think it makes it clear at all. It's an announcement of a proven idea, which as he says "details to follow" and then people can judge it with more knowledge.

With respect, I think it does; he doesn't say the BSPA have introduced this. It is an Elite League initiative. He states, "I am looking forward to going into more details of the season ahead at our fans’ forum". That is details of the season ahead not details on this initiative.

I don't know what they do in Sweden or Poland but are we saying that they take (what are fundamentally) junior riders and throw them in to compete with the big boys? I hold the view that this is an ill thought out but money saving scheme. I hate to think what the TV executives will make of it!

• Like 1

I wish people would take the trouble to read the latest posts from those 'in the know' eg Tsunami, amongst others.

Also the statement on www.speedwaygp.com by Jon Cook gives more detail and fills in some of the gaps in the original (rushed!) headline statement issued Sunday.

I actually find this a bit condescending.

Perhaps we should all just shut up and accept that we know nothing, and others will decide what's good for us.

• Like 3