British Speedway Forum
Shaleshifter

Belle Vue Aces Vs Poole Pirates 28/04/2014

Absolutely. As he was in the top 20 first draft list there is no reason why he would be ranked lower than Smart.

No doubt `it will be in the best interest of Speedway if he is ranked lower and Poole can therefore sign him`.

Well to keep things relevant to this thread, whatever happens longer term - it won't be Bates for Smart on Monday, as he's not available or on the FT list til 1st May according to article in SS.

Bates is lower on the list than Smart.

It was said at the meeting to chose draft riders that Matt Ford took a long time in choosing Lee Smart. When Matt Ford chose Smart he chose "smartly". Matt Ford said at the time he knew very little about Smart but from a tactical viewpoint if it didn't work out it would leave more scope to manoeuvre. Josh Bates is a lower in the draft so if Poole wanted him he would probably be available.

No rules broken, just a swap from the draft pick, once Bates is available.

Now before anyone jumps on this, I am speculating that Poole want Bates. And remember, if Smart is dropped, he returns to his position in the draft list of available riders.

• Like 1

If Poole can replace Smart with Bates, it would make perfect sense. Team changes are a fact of life in all sports, and there is no doubting Pirates are masters of that..

Just a thought Ben Reade is having a hard time and on the original list Bates was lower than him and with Bates living in or near Sheffield i would think that If Belle vue and i say if wish to release Ben i think Belle vue would have a better chance of signing him than Poole but what do i know time will tell.

Amazing that all these posts are about a rider who has barely scored a point in the Premier Lge this season.

Just goes to show how much the draft riders dictate meetings this season.

Bates is lower on the list than Smart.

It was said at the meeting to chose draft riders that Matt Ford took a long time in choosing Lee Smart. When Matt Ford chose Smart he chose "smartly". Matt Ford said at the time he knew very little about Smart but from a tactical viewpoint if it didn't work out it would leave more scope to manoeuvre. Josh Bates is a lower in the draft so if Poole wanted him he would probably be available.

No rules broken, just a swap from the draft pick, once Bates is available.

Now before anyone jumps on this, I am speculating that Poole want Bates. And remember, if Smart is dropped, he returns to his position in the draft list of available riders.

A very clever move by Matt when you compare what Swindon did when Josh left & they got Darryl in who was so much lower in the list & then when he got injured we were so limited.

Bates hasn't done an awful lot in the PL yet this year but his U21 win shows the potential he has. If Poole do sign him OIhave no doubt he will develop over the season and make quite a difference over Smart. I still stand by original comments that one he unpicked himself from Swindon he should sit out this year and return to the draft in 2015.

• Like 2

would be an injustice if that happened , swindon picked bates first , if he chose pl instead then he shouldnt be allowed to crash the draft list now ,

seems the strong can get stronger and the weak get weaker not the way to run a successful league ,

Bates hasn't done an awful lot in the PL yet this year but his U21 win shows the potential he has. If Poole do sign him OIhave no doubt he will develop over the season and make quite a difference over Smart. I still stand by original comments that one he unpicked himself from Swindon he should sit out this year and return to the draft in 2015.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion but why keep repeating it when it ain't gonna happen!!! :wink::D

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 1

Just to round off my point really and put it on record on this particular thread where the discussion had developed if it's OK with you bossy boots :D

Replacing a no hoper who has a modest NL average with the British U21 champ will probably go down as one of Lord Ford's best ever fiddles. No wonder Smart was graded so high ;)

I wonder how man y pages a thread would run if Poole signed Bates, compared to say if he went to Belle Vue or Eastbourne instead.

Have a feeling this bates to Poole rumour is no more than that. It has no substance at all.

I wonder how man y pages a thread would run if Poole signed Bates, compared to say if he went to Belle Vue or Eastbourne instead.

The difference is that Belle Vue and Eastbourne haven't declared "guest TBC" in place of one of their reserves for no reason. And Belle Vue and Eastbourne haven't got a history of making highly dodgy rule bending changes to their teams.

• Like 3

As Skidder said though, Bates won't be joining Poole. So a waste of time posting about it.

As Skidder said though, Bates won't be joining Poole. So a waste of time posting about it.

Master Bates would have been ideal for Poole....

• Like 1

Master Bates would have been ideal for Poole....

Now that would be a good new name for the multi poster from Peterborough and elsewhere.

Bates won't travel to poole for his home meetings so forget poole signing bates

Edited by Phil The Ace