British Speedway Forum
Boobs

Berwick Vs Redcar (saturday 21st)

I know , just when you're having fun , the sensible police arrives

apparently spirits were good before the match aswell.
  • Like 4

Could be that the person in question was taken ill himself and showed symptoms of drunkeness.

Nowhere near as funny as being pi$$ed though

Edited by Shadders
  • Like 1

Could be that the person in question was taken ill himself and showed symptoms of drunkeness.

Yeah strokes etc and some epilepsy can make you appear that way...

ive shown symptoms of drunkeness usually falling over and dropping my bottle of booze on the floor

Just read the doctor was pissed on twitter... You couldn't make it up.

Cant say I've seen that variant on the shelves, is it in bottles or cans? ;)

• Like 1

Look, now that the humour tide has waned, can I raise the more serious point of medical cover. Whether or not the 'possibly' spurious suggestions of the docs blood/alchohol level are accurate, should some form of back up not be mandatory. One para. one ambulance is surely a cost cutting measure which the penny-pinching Bspa are woefully at fault for. Never mind the disadvantaged spectators, what about rider safety?

• Like 1

It would be great if a backup Paramedic or Doctor where available but the cost is prohibitive for most tracks & you can’t expect the Paramedic or Doctor to reduce their charges as their overheads are also very high, to have a Doctor at a speedway meeting that Doctor must be B.A.S.I.C.S (British Association for Immediate Care) trained which is over and above their training as a Doctor to add to this they must have malpractice cover and all the equipment required to perform their duties

Essential equipment costs around £2,000, but experienced immediate care doctors will usually have between £10,000 and £20,000 worth of emergency medical gear and if the truth be known a Paramedics kit could well cost about the same and on top of this they both have to purchase the drugs necessary for resuscitation and analgesia and some of these have a very short shelf life.

I agree with you that the minimum cover for each meeting which consists of 1 Doctor or Paramedic - 1 Ambulance + trained crew & 4 first aiders is not enough and needs to be reviewed as soon as possible because, as we have seen lately, if an incident occurs and due to injuries sustained a intravenous drip is set up or the patient has been given an analgesic injection then the Doctor/Paramedic must accompany the patient to the nearest trauma unit which could take a few hours and the meeting is lost

Edited by starshooter
  • Like 2

All joking aside, speedway clubs just don't have the finances to provide the kind of medical cover necessary for incidents like this. Like it or not speedway in this country is still run on a shoestring budget. The compulsory air fences rule has all but crippled clubs, most having to go cap in hand to their supporters to pay for them. Any additional financial burden will kill it

Edited by Shadders
  • Like 2

I know Berwick have had a curfew for years but it didn't seem to be there for the World Championship qualifier as I was there and it went on until about 10:00pm ..... I wonder if the timekeeper was p#ssed that night

First off I hope Kus and the paramedic recovery from their illness asap, and that Wethers is back from what is reported to be a hip injury soon. When a rider is injured I`m sure we all want the very best of treatment for him, and a rider then a paramedic falling ill during a meeting is of course out of the control of Berwick Speedway. However last nights events have to be addressed, as has already been pointed out Berwick have a duty to provide adequate medical cover, from now on that has to include an extra doctor and first aid cover, and if the promotion have to cough up for that then so be it. If they don't they run the risk of losing fans, many fans had left long before the 9-30 curfew last night.

Also it might be an idea not to let our centre green presenter give out statements that are clearly not true.

It was announced that the replacement doctor was coming from Kelso, where apparently he left his evening meal and was 15mins away, I challenge anyone to drive from Kelso to Berwick in 15mins, and no amount of alcohol will shorten that particular journey.

Now I don't know if the doctor was drunk as Richard Lawson alleges, though if true it makes last night even more farcical, I`m sure the BSPA will be eager to find out.

Finally, as one poster on various Berwick threads is keen point out, Berwick Speedway are quick to point out any praise that comes their way, one hopes they are equally as quick to address the shortage of medical cover on a Saturday night. Last night was not the first time we have sat with no speedway as we waited for a paramedic to return from the pits, it cant all be down to cost.

though the track was poor tonight,no doubt the weather will get the blame.

After virtually two weeks of no racing, you`d have thought the track would've been in mint condition. Though as you say there will be an excuse. :nono:

• Like 1

I know Berwick have had a curfew for years but it didn't seem to be there for the World Championship qualifier as I was there and it went on until about 10:00pm ..... I wonder if the timekeeper was p#ssed that night

Curfew for weeknight meetings is 10 pm

though the track was poor tonight,no doubt the weather will get the blame.

The track seem very patchy , with a few riders picking up unexpected grip and struggling to cope with conditions

• Like 1

It would be great if a backup Paramedic or Doctor where available but the cost is prohibitive for most tracks & you can’t expect the Paramedic or Doctor to reduce their charges as their overheads are also very high, to have a Doctor at a speedway meeting that Doctor must be B.A.S.I.C.S (British Association for Immediate Care) trained which is over and above their training as a Doctor to add to this they must have malpractice cover and all the equipment required to perform their duties

Essential equipment costs around £2,000, but experienced immediate care doctors will usually have between £10,000 and £20,000 worth of emergency medical gear and if the truth be known a Paramedics kit could well cost about the same and on top of this they both have to purchase the drugs necessary for resuscitation and analgesia and some of these have a very short shelf life.

I agree with you that the minimum cover for each meeting which consists of 1 Doctor or Paramedic - 1 Ambulance + trained crew & 4 first aiders is not enough and needs to be reviewed as soon as possible because, as we have seen lately, if an incident occurs and due to injuries sustained a intravenous drip is set up or the patient has been given an analgesic injection then the Doctor/Paramedic must accompany the patient to the nearest trauma unit which could take a few hours and the meeting is lost

I would imagine lots of clubs have difficulty even getting basic cover, not necessarily cost but availability sometimes.

• Like 1

Curfew for weeknight meetings is 10 pm

The track seem very patchy , with a few riders picking up unexpected grip and struggling to cope with conditions

The curfew is and always has been 9.30pm this was set when the speedway returned to shielfield, for the GP meeting I belive there was a temp extension granted.

Please do not quote times if you don't know the facts it could do a lot of harm like a complaint from Redcar because after all I think if last nights meeting had run its course we would having been looking at a defeat

Please tell me where you found all these fact and figures