British Speedway Forum
Stats

Australian Gp Is Back

It's just more of the same as far as I am concerned, another stadium, another GP .... wonder who is stumping up the money this time, for 5 years!! Melbourne people or the Aussie authorities?

it's sad that the fans who support the event all over Europe will not be able to attend the Finale unless they fork out a lot of cash.Shows that BSI don't give a sh*t about them as long as they get some money in.

God some people whinge

A new country, venue yet people are complaining.

What about the aussies who come over to europe every year to follow the series as believe it or not there are quite a few

And the potential for an aussie to lift a world title in front of their home fans?

Melbournes a terrific city, the ethiad is an incredible venue. I think its a very positive decision and no not just because its in australia.

How many people who have slated this decision actually attend the final gp of the series when its held in EU anyway???

Stop whining and appreciate the fact bsi are trying something new. Absolutely pathetic

I agree, why shouldn't Australia have a gp? For me it gives the gps more credibility just need another one or two outside Europe. One before the European season and one after and it will be spot on. That could provide a longer gap between gps during the European season and that should help rider availability in the EL!

• Like 1

I have no particular problem with Australia holding a GP or even the final GP. My problem is the date. The 24th is a week before the end of the British season. This affects BRITISH fans who for the most part have supported the riders through the early part of their careers and those riders will no be unavailable to British speedway for approx. 2 weeks at the end of the season. It may well affect Poland and Sweden as well. Probably Czecho too. Therefore it's European fans of speedway, not necessarily GP fans that will suffer.

It's all very well folk saying bring the play offs forward. Why the hell should we have to simply to suit a private company that wants to make a profit. Speedway has run from March to October for as long as I've been attending in the mid 60s and probably before that to. I see no reason for it to change. I doubt non GP riders will appreciate their season being curtailed either as it reduces their chances to earn money.

Edited by Star Lady
  • Like 2

it's sad that the fans who support the event all over Europe will not be able to attend the Finale unless they fork out a lot of cash.Shows that BSI don't give a sh*t about them as long as they get some money in.

Seems only fair to stage a round in Australia considering the likes of Chris, Darcy, Troy and now Jason Doyle have been featured in the series.

Fixtures and dates will always make it hard to allocate a time of year for a visit. The Etihad will be preparing for the AFL season around March/April, so a finale date may have been the only option.

Plus it's closer to get home for the Aussie riders for the summer whilst the rest of you are cold, wet and miserable!!!

Edited by Undercover Elephant

MONEY, MONEY, MONEY.

That's ALL they are bothered about - sod the Sport and it's Supporters. :mad: :mad: :mad:

It's a good thing for the sport and its supporters.

The 24th is a week before the end of the British season.

This year th EL final should have finished on 15th Oct. Sweden and Poland have finished theirs already.

Niamh

Don't see why the Aussies shouldn't have the final GP.My way of thinking if any country deserves it then they do after all the great riders they have provided over the decades.Remember back a few years ago the Longtrack GP final round was held in NZ and some riders were complaining about it(think Riss or Barth was the main one)going on about being robbed of the chance of being crowned WC in front of his own fans.Ivan Mauger stated that he(and you could include Mirac + Briggo as well) never ever had that luxury.

It's a good thing for the sport and its supporters.

That is only your opinion - to which you are entitled.

I don't agree with you that's all.

Its not very often you agree with anyone though!

Get out of your time warp for god sake

Its not very often you agree with anyone though!

Get out of your time warp for god sake

Why so aggressive?

Surely I am entitled to an opinion - or - is only yours valid? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes::blink:

Edited by The White Knight

Every thread I read you usually pop up disagreeing with the majority.

How taking the gp series to a new continent - a continent where some of the top riders in the world come from - is a bad move is beyond me.

I dont think its anything to do with money - its a huge gamble which could see them lose a lot.

Its a positive move and how people cant see that is totally baffling

• Like 2

Every thread I read you usually pop up disagreeing with the majority.

How taking the gp series to a new continent - a continent where some of the top riders in the world come from - is a bad move is beyond me.

I dont think its anything to do with money - its a huge gamble which could see them lose a lot.

Its a positive move and how people cant see that is totally baffling

One things for sure, no where near as many Aussie's at Cardiff next year! there are a load that come over for their 'home' gp over here! Can see a lot staying home and can't exactly blame them for it!

Going to be a great event though!

Edited by DJC

That is only your opinion - to which you are entitled.

I don't agree with you that's all.

What are the reasons for your opinion?

How is taking the sport into a magnificent facility bad for it?

How is giving supporters in Australia the opportunity to attend a GP a bad thing?