British Speedway Forum
SCB

Gerhard Engine

The marriage is on the rocks, so Louis had 6, what does that prove, could mean that 6 people wished they'd saved their money.

Certainly seems like Freddie has dumped them for good as his results have improved greatly

Maybe they are a lot more reliable.....But,while go a lot longer between services(rebuilds) they go off and loose the edge.So although they don't go bang,they loose power/compression through piston/rings/valve seats.?

Edited by Bald Bloke

Maybe they are a lot more reliable.....But,while go a lot longer between services(rebuilds) they go off and loose the edge.So although they don't go bang,they loose power/compression through piston/rings/valve seats.?

I do think there is a place for GTR engines in league racing where the demands on them are perhaps not as great as the GP's ,it may well be the case that they are not as fast or adaptable as the GM's .However if all the riders were on them and with knowledge gained in setting them up this may address some of the issues that riders currently experience .

My own thoughts are that it is crucial that the costs to riders /promoters are reduced for the well being of the sport but I do believe that the use of tuners ( I have nothing against any tuner on a personal level ) is an unnecessary evil within the sport . IMO their service/skills should perhaps be left for the GP level riders where the bulk of the sports wealth lies anyway

• Like 2

IF British Speedway was to go completely down the GTR road it will be a total change of psychology for the riders, although I guess the top guys now would still come out on top for various reasons. Would the promoters stop paying riders by the point or what? Is it likely to happen?

IF British Speedway was to go completely down the GTR road it will be a total change of psychology for the riders, although I guess the top guys now would still come out on top for various reasons. Would the promoters stop paying riders by the point or what? Is it likely to happen?

Imo cream always floats to the top and that is a fact of life but I want the best rider to win because of his skill not the amount of money he has to spend on engines etc.It saddens me that riders just change tuners to improve their ability to win races ,there has never been and won't ever be total equality but the cost of success is just spiraling out of control .

• Like 2

Imo cream always floats to the top and that is a fact of life but I want the best rider to win because of his skill not the amount of money he has to spend on engines etc.It saddens me that riders just change tuners to improve their ability to win races ,there has never been and won't ever be total equality but the cost of success is just spiraling out of control .

Totally correct.

To be honest I find it difficult to understand how some of the lower ability Riders can afford it at all.

Seems to me that:

1. The modern, highly tuned engines cannot cope with a grippy track, and tracks have become increasingly slick for that reason.

2. Grippy tracks generally lead to faster heat times than slick tracks.

If we accept these observations, it seems to me that, if tracks were consistently prepared with more grip, the need for a highly tuned engine would be negated, without sacrificing speed.

I think for too long track conditions have been prepared to suit the machine, whereas it should be the other way round.

• Like 6

Seems to me that:

1. The modern, highly tuned engines cannot cope with a grippy track, and tracks have become increasingly slick for that reason.

2. Grippy tracks generally lead to faster heat times than slick tracks.

If we accept these observations, it seems to me that, if tracks were consistently prepared with more grip, the need for a highly tuned engine would be negated, without sacrificing speed.

I think for too long track conditions have been prepared to suit the machine, whereas it should be the other way round.

Exactly right!!!

Good Post.

• Like 1

GTR now also more involved in Polish speedway and the NICE cup. They have a seperate meeting (4 heats I think) today in Torun with 4 riders on GTR engines.

• Like 1

Sadly it will never happen until and unless speedway in it's present form does collapse completely and a single engined format is brought in to re-build the sport of speedway racing in the UK. They would still ( and why not ) be paid on a results basis. Yes, the most skilled riders would come out on top, as technique and the ability to master it is what really counts. I don't think that it will be the GTR only route that speedway eventually follows.

So, what's happened to the GTR, it used to be Championed by the good and mighty on here, mysteriously it seems to have disappeared off the planet.

• Like 1

So, what's happened to the GTR, it used to be Championed by the good and mighty on here, mysteriously it seems to have disappeared off the planet.

there were 2 used at Birmingham on Wednesday along with 2 jawas , seem to go ok, still say if it were SOHC it would be a different story now and if it was enforced as everyone had to use them so no one was at an advantage or disadvantage speedway as a whole would be on the way to a more sound financial step but as we stand riders rule and as such costs just keep going up and up and riders keep wanting more and more and well you get the picture , it needs leadership and strict rules and the GTR could of been part of it , instead we have no leadership, half arsed rules and tuners are still the winners
  • Like 5