British Speedway Forum

No, Reading were League Champions when Tilehurst closed and was redeveloped in 1973/74. That might in part explain the rush to get them operating again in 1975.

tilehurst was a pretty basic stadium with poor viewing facilities, unless you were lucky enough to get in the grandstand. The crowds there were excellent, but I always preferred the racing at smallmead, when prepared right!.

Wasn't the new Stadium to be built in ready made kit form and just assembled on site? I believe there was an article a while ago in the Speedway Star about someone(can't remember who) visiting the manufacturers to see the progress. Surely by now, this would have been finished so is it all in storage ready to go. If the new Stadium doesn't go ahead, who pays for what has already been made, or was the storey just Bull to pacify supporters.

Justin Tomlinson told me this is an iron clad clause. Should you trust a politician when hes campaigning for a general election?! Months on and nothing has happened so im starting to fear the worst

And yet, no one can point to the clause in any of the planning documents. I think it is just a rumour which everyone wants to believe is true.

• Like 1

Wasn't the new Stadium to be built in ready made kit form and just assembled on site? I believe there was an article a while ago in the Speedway Star about someone(can't remember who) visiting the manufacturers to see the progress. Surely by now, this would have been finished so is it all in storage ready to go. If the new Stadium doesn't go ahead, who pays for what has already been made, or was the storey just Bull to pacify supporters.

Yea it is ..what has happened is that every now then a press release comes out giving the fans hope that the stadium is not far from happening . it's quite clever and keeps the great unwashed in check

It's high time for someone important to say this is a load of bull and take Clarke and Co to task . The fans deserve some answers and truth .

• Like 1

Yea it is ..what has happened is that every now then a press release comes out giving the fans hope that the stadium is not far from happening . it's quite clever and keeps the great unwashed in check

It's high time for someone important to say this is a load of bull and take Clarke and Co to task . The fans deserve some answers and truth .

Did I not read on here that the lego bits for the new stadium were made and in a Welsh factory unit ready to assemble.

• Like 1

Did I not read on here that the lego bits for the new stadium were made and in a Welsh factory unit ready to assemble.

You did indeed . there ready to taken down to Swindon in a moments notice by all accounts :rolleyes:

• Like 1

....problem is with Clark Osbourne involved I wouldn't raise one's hopes too much.

• Like 1

Under the tarpaulins they use to protect the Cardiff shale in a climate controlled environment
  • Like 2

Under the tarpaulins they use to protect the Cardiff shale in a climate controlled environment

Are they stacked in a pyramid shape, or maybe being used for a womens' basketball tournament...?

Edited by Humphrey Appleby

There are some cynical fans on this forum!!!

Bristol Stadium (Knowle)

Bristol Stadium (Eastville)

Oxford (briefly in the late 1970s)

Reading (Smallmead)

Milton Keynes

Swindon?

Torquay United?

Poole?

It's healthy scepticism, not cynicism. Sometimes the alarm bells have to be sounded since these people seemingly rely on complacency and gullibility.

Edited by Rob McCaffery
  • Like 6

Not being nasty here but it would not be the first time where the league champions are not running the next season. (I do believe you will beat Wolves now)

Bradford won the 1997 EL and didn't compete in 1998 (or any time since)

Ellesmere Port won the 1985 National League and closed immediately after

• Like 1

Bristol Stadium (Knowle)

Bristol Stadium (Eastville)

Oxford (briefly in the late 1970s)

Reading (Smallmead)

Milton Keynes

Swindon?

Torquay United?

Poole?

It's healthy scepticism, not cynicism. Sometimes the alarm bells have to be sounded since these people seemingly rely on complacency and gullibility.

I was being sarcastic Rob. If you read through the whole thread, you will see my views on the chances of the rosco arena ever being built.