British Speedway Forum
Pinny

Notoriously Dirty Riders

Would never have classed him as dangerous , but I remember Tom Owen being kicked out of a meeting at Paisley in the mid seventies . Went to a Stoke v Glasgow meeting about 7 or 8 years ago . Claus Vissing's first year in British speedway and he got excluded about three times that night , twice putting David McAllan in the fence .

I remember Jesper Olsen's first season as a Glasgow Tiger at Shawfield , he stopped the first aiders getting bored

• Like 1

I remember Jesper Olsen's first season as a Glasgow Tiger at Shawfield , he stopped the first aiders getting bored

Safest place for them was sitting on top of the goalposts.

I think there is a big difference between a rider being excluded for a dangerous move that looked bad and your serial offender..

Some of the incidents referred to have been dangerous but not constantly repeated by the rider...show me any rider that hasn't been excluded for a dangerous move at some time...they all have......now the serial offender is different and there's nothing worse than a constantly intentional dirty rider ...hard riding and dirty riding are two completely separate things...top riders tend to be hard riders , average riders trying to be better than their ability tend to be dirty riders....

• Like 2

Anyone remember the late great Jack Millen?

A very hard rider, but also a showman who got the crowd talking (or shouting!). His battles with Frank Auffret were legendary.

• Like 2

Is the term " shutting the door on " now classed as a dangerous move ?

A very hard rider, but also a showman who got the crowd talking (or shouting!). His battles with Frank Auffret were legendary.

A true character! Features in the thread 'Are There Any Characters In The Sport Anymore?'

Would never have classed him as dangerous , but I remember Tom Owen being kicked out of a meeting at Paisley in the mid seventies . Went to a Stoke v Glasgow meeting about 7 or 8 years ago . Claus Vissing's first year in British speedway and he got excluded about three times that night , twice putting David McAllan in the fence .

Did the Paul Cooper at Sheffield, to this day I still don't know how the referee decided that Cooper should have been excluded.

In the re run Vissing won the race and promptly went on a lap of honour, and there was a mass brawl at his return to the pit gate, and Vissing copped a hefty fine for failing to control his mechanic.

Is the term " shutting the door on " now classed as a dangerous move ?

Only if someone has his head in the doorway at the time.

• Like 1

Not sure who he came to blows with but I recall in the earlish 80's Martin Goodwin coming to blows with someone at Poole...............funny thing is I was having this conversation with a friend last night.................I won't tell you what his thoughts on Goodwin are.............

RP

Josh Auty's reckless move on Kenny Ingalls at Derwent Park in 2012 was one of the worst i've seen, Ingalls hasn't rode since.

There was also the incident when Auty was riding in the second half as a junior 15/16 year old and rode across the centre green into one of the start gate staff and broke his leg, i remember thinking he was uncontrollable then.

• Like 2

Jens Rasmussen was a dirty bugger. The way he took Richard Knight out in the 1985 KOC final at Foxhall was shocking.

Knight had to be physically held back in the pits to stop him going after Rasmussen!

Also, I'd feel feel sorry for any rider who had Preben Eriksen and Tim Hunt against them in the same race!

Edited by Wooly70

Jens Rasmussen was a dirty bugger. The way he took Richard Knight out in the 1985 KOC final at Foxhall was shocking.

Knight had to be physically held back in the pits to stop him going after Rasmussen!

Also, I'd feel feel sorry for any rider who had Preben Eriksen and Tim Hunt against them in the same race!

LOL razzer was never a dirty rider hard yes but not dirty and if I remember right if knight would have got to razzer it would have been a big mistake by Knight , good cup final thou I remember one night at Oxford 3 times Neil Evitts rode razzer into the first bend fence on the fourth attempt all Hell broke loose , the following season razzer rode for Ipswich and Evitts was on the opposing side Jens tapped Evitts on the shoulder and said no funny business tonight and Evitts didn't ride well all night and scored hardly anything lol

• Like 1

LOL razzer was never a dirty rider hard yes but not dirty and if I remember right if knight would have got to razzer it would have been a big mistake by Knight , good cup final thou I remember one night at Oxford 3 times Neil Evitts rode razzer into the first bend fence on the fourth attempt all Hell broke loose , the following season razzer rode for Ipswich and Evitts was on the opposing side Jens tapped Evitts on the shoulder and said no funny business tonight and Evitts didn't ride well all night and scored hardly anything lolI

I was a huge Jens Rasmussen fan and was more than disappointed when he was 'forced' to leave the 'Cheetahs' just prior to the 1986 season. He ended up at Ipswich, ironically, where prior to that season he and Jeremy Doncaster didn't get on. However they ended up as friends and Jeremy named one of his children Jens! I was at Ipswich for the 1985 Cup Final and remember the incident well. If I recall 'Raz' entered the third (?) bend at a very acute angle and took Richard off and was rightly excluded (although I disagreed at the time!). Jens was a rider who could be hard but could take it as well. A great rider to have in the last heat as often he would produce the goods and secure the match (as he did at Ipswich earlier that year in the League Cup Semi-Final) He was one of those riders that if he rode for your team was looked upon as a hero but as an opponent...?

Of course when he joined Rye House (1988) that was the start of the incoming of foreigners at National League level (although in his case it was legitimate as he was married to an English girl) and, as they say, the rest is history!

Josh Auty's reckless move on Kenny Ingalls at Derwent Park in 2012 was one of the worst i've seen, Ingalls hasn't rode since.

There was also the incident when Auty was riding in the second half as a junior 15/16 year old and rode across the centre green into one of the start gate staff and broke his leg, i remember thinking he was uncontrollable then.

Auty's move taking Rob Mear off in the British Final wasn't much better. I don't know if Auty is an intentionally dirty rider though, he just rides like a nutter and is as much danger to himself as anybody else.

• Like 6