British Speedway Forum
Pinny

Notoriously Dirty Riders

Dakota North deliberatly putting Ben Barker through the fence at Foxhall and Mick Poole doing the same to Mark Loram at Peterborough are 2 dispicable acts I've seen on a speedway track. I also remember Jeremy Doncaster in 1987 being hard on a young 16 year old Loram and Jeremy's wife refusing to talk to him after the meeting as she said it was awful what he did to a young rider

bit of a theme going there North and Poole both have something in common with their modern counterparts Holder and Doyle . however the worst incident I have ever seen can be attributed to Carl Blackbird , causing a career ending and life threatening injury to Simon Green at Sheffield

• Like 1

Ludvig Lindgren making no attempt to turn into corner three and taking Kim Jansson straight through the safety fence in Sweden giving Kim Jansson a broken thigh

That reminds me of one of the very few times Hans Nielsen got injured. He turned VERY late into the first bend with Billy Hamill outside him, with predictable result. Of course, we all blamed Billy. After all, it was a Cov-Cradley needle match, and Billy should have known Hans would do that if he made the gate......!!

I never witnessed it, but Chris Morton has admitted to deliberately knocking off Alan Grahame in an accident in which Grahame broke his leg.

I'm sure he can't be the only rider to do it.

It was definitely deliberate, I was there and saw it. However, it was well known tha Grahame was dirty on a weekly basis and would take riders to the fence on bend 1 of the race from the tapes. A friend and I used to discuss this and we thought that if he tried this on Alan Wilkinson he would come out the worst. So we we went to the Birmingham v Belle Vue match. Lo and behold Wilkinson wasn't involved because Grahame did it to Morton first who chased after him and took full retribution. I have to admit bias in my views, as a Wolves fan, Grahame was enemy number 1.

• Like 1

I saw Ivor Brown on numerous occasions way back when and can't say I remember him being dirty. Determined and forceful yes and worth the admission price to see him.

It all depends where the border line id between being very hard as opposed to being deliberately dirty. Ivor Brown certainly had a reputation as a hard man but I have never heard or read anything about him diliberately being dirty. I believe Browns own career was effectively ended when a hard move firm Ove Fundin put him through the fence, causing serious back injuries. Did forum member see that or can comment ?

Saw the incident with Ivor Brown and Mauger in about 1963 and it was dirty from both riders. Brown was brutal on Mauger on the Saturday ar Cradley putting him deliberately in the fence. On the following Monday at Brought got his revenge. Mauger was inside Brown and Bill Andrew was on the outside of Brown. Mauger had told Andrew what was going to happen, and advised him to keep out of the way. Tapes up and Andrew made a good gate. Mauger took Brown to the fence and into it, but unfortunately Bill Andrew got it as well. The only real time I saw Mauger really fired up and dirty.

According Malcom Simmons DVD , Bill Andrew was one of the very few riders Siimo regarded as being deliberately dirty and who would put riders into the fence for the fun it if he got the chance. A nasty piece of work according to Simmo

It all depends where the border line id between being very hard as opposed to being deliberately dirty. Ivor Brown certainly had a reputation as a hard man but I have never heard or read anything about him diliberately being dirty. I believe Browns own career was effectively ended when a hard move firm Ove Fundin put him through the fence, causing serious back injuries. Did forum member see that or can comment ?

According Malcom Simmons DVD , Bill Andrew was one of the very few riders Siimo regarded as being deliberately dirty and who would put riders into the fence for the fun it if he got the chance. A nasty piece of work according to Simmo

Yes I saw that crash at Wimbledon in an Internationale Meeting. Brown tried to go found the outside of Fundin on the first bend but Ove didn't turn his bike at all and Ivor was left sprawled over the safety fence . (If my memory serves me well) :D

I seem to remember that a Doctor was watching the meeting/crash on TV ? and went to the hospital as he had spotted something that he knew would be helpful to identify his injuries.

In the later part of his career Paul Pickering got a bit of a reputation for dirty moves. He came to Brough in about 2002 after being a junior with us, before he had gone to Bradford. He was a trapper and held off KB for three laps, with KB trying the inside line. On the last lap, KB tried to do a full swoop around the outside of the 4th bend, and Pickering just drove to the fence and forced him into it. KB came off with a very damaged bike, and a helmet full of blood. We got his helmet off, and he had bit through his tongue, which was bleeding badly. Eventually got some orange drink for him to wash his mouth out and off to hospital. Pickering excluded.

So how would you describe these dirty riders? Spiteful, ruthless ba****ds, dumb, untalented .... or a mixture?

I seem to remember that a Doctor was watching the meeting/crash on TV ? and went to the hospital as he had spotted something that he knew would be helpful to identify his injuries.

In the later part of his career Paul Pickering got a bit of a reputation for dirty moves. He came to Brough in about 2002 after being a junior with us, before he had gone to Bradford. He was a trapper and held off KB for three laps, with KB trying the inside line. On the last lap, KB tried to do a full swoop around the outside of the 4th bend, and Pickering just drove to the fence and forced him into it. KB came off with a very damaged bike, and a helmet full of blood. We got his helmet off, and he had bit through his tongue, which was bleeding badly. Eventually got some orange drink for him to wash his mouth out and off to hospital. Pickering excluded.

Pickering was a good rider when he wanted to be, but also seen him pull off some shocking moves and he was well known to be a dirty rider back in his day.

Was superb around exeter though and a top guest for Newport there before, as was Scott Swain (what happened to him?)

• Like 1

Simon Cross could be questionable on occasions! Remember the occasion at Dudley Wood, back in 1985, when he didn't turn left entering the first bend and just drifted wide taking Simon Wigg with him. 'Wiggy' had to pull up otherwise he would have hit the fence. 'Wiggy' was not a happy bunny when interviewed (the match was televised by ATV) after the race! Cross did the same thing to Andy Grahame in the same meeting!

First saw Simon Cross in 1982 when he made his debut riding for Oxford. He was obviously talented but could be erratic on occasions. Didn't last long at Cowley after an altercation with Ashley Pullen.

Edited by steve roberts

Don't like to bring Kelvin into this, I wouldn't have ever classed him as dirty. However, I'm reminded of a "straight-on-at-the-first-turn" incident when he nearly took out Mark Loram at Brandon. And Loram was his team-mate! KT was at the back end of his career at that time, riding at reserve for Arena Essex if memory serves me right. Loram managed to stay on and finish last, and KT apologised in the pits afterwards. I didn't quite catch Mark's reply, but it seemed to be mostly words of one syllable.

Edited by Robert Lee

Matousek and Rob Grant from opposing riders. From a Falcons perspective , you really didnt want to be on the outside of Alan Rivett or Frank Andersen.

wood , wire, metal fences, and Jim Squibb....don't try the outside

Different attitude in those days I guess, used to work for Jim and he made no secret of the fact that there were riders who he had no problems riding really hard and even the odd one he would put down. Don't think he would have deliberately injured anybody but there were those I don't think he would have worried about if it ended that way. Tough old boy even in his 60's and racing just as hard at Rallycross.

I'm sure Sam knocked David Howe off at Peterborough which resulted in a broken leg for David.

Howe tried to lean in on Sam and came off more like.

Nothing more than a racing incident.. and Howe didn't break his leg.

Worst move I have ever seen, as I have mentioned on other threads was Matej Zagar on Buzz Burrows. Totally pre-meditated and highly dangerous. Never seen anything close to it before or after in hundreds of meetings attended.

• Like 2