British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Periscope. A Promoters Nightmare App.

You'll find that the inclusion of online rights within a broadcast deal is becoming much more frequent. The value of these deals is within the exclusivity, and with viewing as easy as it is online nowadays, these rights are often combined......

As you have said, a deal was needed to prop up the EL, and as a sport it hardly has the negotiating power of Premier League football in being able to lay out demands or restrict rights.

I appreciate that and suspect that you might have been close to the deal itself or have contacts who were. It is nonetheless frustrating that a deal necessary to preserve the EL has worked to prevent its own development along with the other leagues.

Was the subject of a deal without online exclusivity broached or was it 'take or leave it' by Sky? Was this aspect considered?

What is frustrating is that having bought online exclusivity Sky seem unwilling to use it.

Either way the sport has ended up in a stranglehold that I would suggest is extremely damaging and a repeat in the next set of negotiations would ideally be avoided. When Sky were putting serious sponsorship money in one could understand their restrictions but the most recent example didn't come with that financial cushion did it?

I wonder what BT's approach would be?

Edited by rmc

The club itself cannot do anything but operating drones over crowded areas without permission is not allowed (see quote below) it also have to abide to aviation laws regarding drones.

So if you decide to operate a drone to film a meeting at Eastbourne, the club/promoter cannot stop you from doing that but it would quite possible be

a police matter since you, by breaching the CAA regulations, might be considered to be putting others at risk. You might also be considered to obstruct

aviation which might lead to heavy fines if you are found to be guilty.

Same with model rocketry, I used to build and launch rockets with solid fuel motors, 1.5 metre in height, capable of reaching almost a mile high, had to inform the CAA and only launch in designated areas/times and nowhere near flightpaths!!

Sorry, I digressed!!

RMC It's not that Sky don't want to use footage online its just got a limited appeal for most Sky subscribers in general.

One of the problems is like most large broadcasters some of the contracting is one size fits all whether its Test match cricket or Weber cup ten pin bowling. The broadcaster will always like to have more covered in the contract than not enough. If Sky did hand the online rights back to BSPA would they then allow Sky to continue to show live and highlights on Sky Go as well as clips on Sky sports websites and phone apps ?

I personally think it would be quite difficult for Brtish speedway clubs to stream meetings online and to make it pay to make it worthwhile as you have to factor in the production costs e.g filming the meeting,getting the pictures onto a server to broadcast it then you have all the subscription side of things. I know the bet365 coverage cost over £800 a meeting to do.

They could of course do a basic free service using a You tube channel but they have limits on amounts of viewers, both of the above options will take away from the stadium crowds.

I would like to see a Speedway highlights show on Sky talks have happened previously but never came to anything but maybe possibly this year if a few things were correct but again would all the video companies provide all their footage for free ?

I personally think it would be quite difficult for Brtish speedway clubs to stream meetings online and to make it pay to make it worthwhile as you have to factor in the production costs e.g filming the meeting,getting the pictures onto a server to broadcast it then you have all the subscription side of things. I know the bet365 coverage cost over £800 a meeting to do.

Clean Cut Sport who film at Brandon and other tracks are involved in streaming Coventry Blaze Ice Hockey games - something most if not all ice hockey teams do I believe. So if it can work for them, a sport with numbers very similar to ours then why won't it work for speedway?

Clean Cut Sport who film at Brandon and other tracks are involved in streaming Coventry Blaze Ice Hockey games - something most if not all ice hockey teams do I believe. So if it can work for them, a sport with numbers very similar to ours then why won't it work for speedway?

Think they charge £7 for the stream.

Davey Watt is instrumental in arranging for the Darcy Ward meeting at Torun on Monday 28th to be streamed at an equivalent cost of around £6 - all proceeds to the Darcy Ward Foundation. He states - in the local Echo today - that its the first of several things he and others are working on.

Edit: www.clayperview.com

www.bournemouthecho.co.uk

Edited by Skidder1

Forgive my ignorance of live streaming but is this a "lift" of a professional filming or something arranged solely by Davey Watt. Will this be a single camera or multi camera. Will there be commentary in English?

I'm sure for people who regularly view streams my questions seem stupid but if you dont ask you dont find out :wink:

Not certain but all/most Polish clubs film their own meetings so I guess it will be a stream of this. (It won't be Davey doing the streaming personally as he's in the meeting)

Ipswich this year have shown clips on their Instagram account from 3 heats at Foxhall on Thursday and another 2 from Scunthorpe on sunday. So is this not allowed?

These clips have been good and something to show non speedway followers.

Ps Was also mentioned at Foxhall that someone was filming on 2nd bend as a red light was seen in the stands and this was not allowed.

For obvious reasons I have an interest in this thread, as my business Clean Cut Sports has indeed been involved in the live streaming of ice hockey for 6 years now.

Since the implementation of a new management committee at BSPA, clarification has been sought from the digital media rights holders what is and what isn't permitted under the terms of the exclusive Sky contract.

The quick answer is that all content from meetings held in the UK under the auspices of the BSPA can only be hosted on club websites, and that content is not permitted to be hosted via Third party websites such as YouTube.

Accordingly, using Instagram (or indeed Facebook, or Twitter, or indeed any other social media platform that can do video), is not permitted,

There are also other restrictions about how much content can be uploaded, although these have been relaxed in recent times.

Edited by ballinger

Forgive my ignorance of live streaming but is this a "lift" of a professional filming or something arranged solely by Davey Watt. Will this be a single camera or multi camera. Will there be commentary in English?

I'm sure for people who regularly view streams my questions seem stupid but if you dont ask you dont find out :wink:

Dave Watt confirmed in interview at Poole yesterday that the commentary will be in English!

www.clayperview.com

Davey's girlfiriend, Joanna, works at the Torun club and has been fully involved with this initiative with the full backing of Torun.

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 1

Not certain but all/most Polish clubs film their own meetings so I guess it will be a stream of this. (It won't be Davey doing the streaming personally as he's in the meeting)

Wise not to be certain about it. I've not seen match DVD's on sale at any Polish "track shops" when I've been there. So much of the top tier of Polish speedway gets shown live (in 1080p HD) on TV that these broadcasts end up on YouTube, so why buy a (720p) DVD? If they want a physical disk. the fans can download the video off YouTube and burn their own DVD's or even Blu-Rays. No-one is going to make much of a business doing there what Clean Cut, Re-Run etc do over here.

I'm against full-meeting streaming, whichever platform is used, BUT if the BSPA are so protective of their contract with SKY/GSI then SKY/GSI should be responsible for producing some sort of 'whizz-bang' promotional highlights video for every club to be able to personalise to their own club websites, local events/venues and social media options (those that utilise them?!)

#

I wonder at the recent BSPA fans forum, how many fans raised this topic as one of the major issues facing the sport from a fans' perspective?!

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 3

I agree 100% they should make more 'highlights' available after meetings but cant see how they will really stop this from happening because they wont offer another option. The Piratecast boys show the odd heat which is great if you are unable to attend the meeting. I think this has more to do with the fact the promoters are concerned it will make people stay at home and watch the meeting on their device instead of paying to go into the stadium.

Edited by Pirates Of Poole
  • Like 1