British Speedway Forum

Orlov. You mention earlier S Worral as reserve for the wtc final. Think someone said he is 24, the wtc res has to be an under 21, so Worrall can't be reserve.

Thanks, did not know that, what a strange rule for a World Competition.

First trip and was very impressed with the shape of the track and facilities. It was a very poor crowd, it looks like the more northern fans didn't fancy it and with so many home riders it was a suprise. Wolverhampton with everybody in one area makes a really good atmosphere and easy for the presenter to engage with the fans. For the British final and lots and lots of empty seats and huge gaps in the terraces it doesn't look good. We left Coventry just gone 3 to make sure we got there ok, was good until the last 15 miles or so and that took forever and arrived at just after 6, parking was fine and a short walk to the stadium.

The racing was good, it was brilliant being so close to the action, a bit like Leicester but just a much much better shape track and I think the lack of re-starts showed that with more room on the 1st bend. It's a shame it rained towards the end of the meeting as you can't take it away from Danny king who deserved his win but I do hope the SWC is dry and we can really see the worlds best use all lines.

Bomber looks a shadow of the rider he was and Scott at 38 isn't going to make moves of 5 years ago, as in all era's there is a change of the guard and in Danny king you do see a lot of Nicholls style.

Don't agree with with stopping people bringing food in when all that is on offer is greasy non healthy junk food at stupid prices, just put a few snacks and wrap a sandwich up and pop it in your coat pocket till you are in as all they do is want to check your bag,might look a bit odd on a hot summers day though.. Ha ha, and the PA on the back straight was awful, couldn't understand a word being said but they can put that right in time.

Will be there again next year, I just hope a few more turn up or make it a Saturday night meeting? Weather and traffic I would imagine played its part but the place needs to be full on occasions like this.

Edited by Coventry_Bee
  • Like 1

So, the Weather was crap the crowd was crap probably a combination of the weather and the roadworks the racing wasnt much better. But given all considered we'l give it the benifit of the doubt, and see how it is when you get decent weather if you ever do, a decent meeting a track that has lines not half a track that the outside is so deep you cannot move. Then we'l see..

Well done Danny King, he wanted it more..

You call that proper racing if Sky hadn't have been there it would have probably not run.. As i said, lets see what its like when they get decent weather, if they ever do, then we'l make judgement.

:) looks like Matt's not top dog anymore Edited by Falcon Hammer

The size of the crowd was predominantly due to the poor weather. as there would be many unwilling travellers as a consequence. If this meeting had not been at my home track , I would have not left home due to the weather forecast.

On Sky and on Monday also took it's toll on the crowd.

4 Sheffield riders and 4 Coventry riders would normally be enough incentive for their fans to come over in good numbers apart from the rest of the British supporters.

Considering the amount of rain over the weekend and also on the day m the track staff did a marvelous job in getting the meeting on. The track held up well and produced good racing despite the falling rain in the latter stages.

Well done to Belle Vue and hopefully last night will be the first of many British Finals at Belle Vue,

With regards to the no food or drink policy , it is common in many new stadia nowadays. I don't like it but now it has been stated on the web site that this is the policy I will amend my actions suitably and not bring in food or drink.

King's Lynn have the same policy and indeed there is a big notice outside the stadium that says that it is conditional of entry that no food or drink is brought in. I assume that does not include anyone who has a medical need to bring a small amount of food or drink in... diabetics etc.

Well, would you look at that after my suggestions that anyone could win the British Final in the Semis topic was ridiculed and now look who is laughing now.

Danny King who has done nothing domestically all year deserves a huge well done.

And there were more shocks. Steve Worrall in the final. Paul Starke who is the most improved rider in two years scoring 10 where as poor old Bomber only managed 7.

Is this the only British Final ever with 4 Division 2 riders in the final. Is that how weak this meeting perhaps was. Let's be honest and say Tai Woffinden would have won this meeting comfortably but I don't want to take anything away from King as he is a fighter.

Biggest headache now is for the WTC selectors. Before I would have said the three with Tai would be Chris, Scott and Craig but now I think it's time for the young guard to step in. Tai, Cook, Lambert and King or Worrall.

Great debate to have.

The only criticism of Belle Vue would be the starting gate. The tapes were far to slack, the ref stopped a race as unsatisfactory but the tapes were going up on the gate when the rider dropped the clutch. Other than that the place is superb. :t::cheers:

Edited by tyretrax
  • Like 3

Question of the day.

How wet did those people on turn 1-2 terracing get as they ain't able to move to a dry place.

Did any leave before the end?

Were they getting filled in or is the viewing area far enough back?

Surely with all those empty seats in the grandstand the people on the first bend were allowed to move to some shelter.

In all liklihood Tai would have won it. Better gater than King and wouldnt have made the error Cook did. Tai is great on big tracks and would love that track

We will never know. Too tired poor lad.

• Like 2

Surely with all those empty seats in the grandstand the people on the first bend were allowed to move to some shelter.

From what someone was saying about the different sections of the seating I doubt if people could move, unless the stewards opened up whatever is between the sections.

What I wondered was one of the stands on the bend looked close to the track, do the supporters in that stand get hit by the shale.

We will never know. Too tired poor lad.

Thats what it was it was tiredness. Silly me i thought it was to do with the meetings that were on around the time of the British Semi Final

I bow to your superior knowledge of all things Woffinden

Nice to see that you have Robert72 yet again being the only one to like your post.

Quite sweet how you , Starman and Robert72 are the only people who like each others posts. Kind of tells you something dont you think

Well, would you look at that after my suggestions that anyone could win the British Final in the Semis topic was ridiculed and now look who is laughing now.

Danny King who has done nothing domestically all year deserves a huge well done.

And there were more shocks. Steve Worrall in the final. Paul Starke who is the most improved rider in two years scoring 10 where as poor old Bomber only managed 7.

Is this the only British Final ever with 4 Division 2 riders in the final. Is that how weak this meeting perhaps was. Let's be honest and say Tai Woffinden would have won this meeting comfortably but I don't want to take anything away from King as he is a fighter.

Biggest headache now is for the WTC selectors. Before I would have said the three with Tai would be Chris, Scott and Craig but now I think it's time for the young guard to step in. Tai, Cook, Lambert and King or Worrall.

Great debate to have.

No you were ridiculed because you said Kyle Newman could win a British Final. The poor boy has to be good enough to qualify first

• Like 2

Don't agree with with stopping people bringing food in when all that is on offer is greasy non healthy junk food at stupid prices, just put a few snacks and wrap a sandwich up and pop it in your coat pocket till you are in as all they do is want to check your bag,might look a bit odd on a hot summers day though.. Ha Ha.

I made up a coconut chilli chicken baguette and took it along with a tray of fruit (melon if you are interested) and had my bag inspected. The security guy clearly saw the fruit, screwed up his face but decided to let me in. I suspect they are tired of arguments with people who complain (rightly) that it is impossible to buy anything healthy inside the stadium, and so exercise some discretion.

Being aware of the policy I was expecting to be sitting outside on the naughty step but it was nice to get to eat my sarny (and very tasty too) seated with a view of the track.

At tracks where the catering is dreadful (Birmingham and Peterborough springs to mind) I will always take food and eat it in the car park if challenged. Others (eg Wolves, Lakeside, Kent) I find the quality and choice acceptable (if a little stodgy) and will purchase something inside the stadium.

Simple moral - if you want people to purchase food in the stadium just make the effort to provide something edible and affordable.

• Like 5

Well done Danny King.He really wanted that..Some good performances from several of the boys.

The track held up very well to all that rain.

• Like 1

They say that fortune favours the brave well Danny King certainly proved that - stunning final ride that was worthy of any final, he knew exactly what he wanted to do and he just went for it - completely out thought Cook who was a lot of people's favourite on the night. I hope those Coventry fans who've berated King this season will eat a bit of humble pie now as I believe his EL scores have picked up as well.

My first visit to the stadium; the track is fantastic with a great shape, plenty of room and obviously the drainage is excellent too. Much credit to the Belle Vue track staff and also the much maligned contractors who constructed the track - they obviously got it right in the end.

The stadium itself I have a few issues with;

• why, if you're building a permanent structure do you only provide toilets in portakabins? (I refer to the south terrace)
  • the south terrace has a temporary feel about it being of a prefabricated structure. I know its a cost thing but concrete terracing is far more durable and will last a lot longer
  • again on the south stand; the PA system is poor - myself and those around me struggled to hear what was being said. As somebody suggested next to me placing some speakers on the centre green would sort that out;
  • as others have said the catering outlets are disappointing; usual burger and chips fayre - people want different food these days. It can't be that difficult to bring in a choice of caterers especially if you want to attract younger fans.

Overall though I think its a great facility and a big step forward for the sport in this country.

As others have said I think the poor weather and a Monday night coupled with the traffic issues in Manchester last night had an impact on the attendance.

I very much look forward to my next visit to the stadium.

• Like 1

They say that fortune favours the brave well Danny King certainly proved that - stunning final ride that was worthy of any final, he knew exactly what he wanted to do and he just went for it - completely out thought Cook who was a lot of people's favourite on the night. I hope those Coventry fans who've berated King this season will eat a bit of humble pie now as I believe his EL scores have picked up as well.

Most of south stand down is temporary. With them running behind schedual they decided to just put temp stuff down for the first season. Next season should have permanent fixtures.

Yes the food is over priced and frankly put rubbish.

The PA system as been crap from the start. Don't know what's taking them so long to fix it. First bend is fine regarding the PA tho

My first visit to the stadium; the track is fantastic with a great shape, plenty of room and obviously the drainage is excellent too. Much credit to the Belle Vue track staff and also the much maligned contractors who constructed the track - they obviously got it right in the end.

The stadium itself I have a few issues with;

• why, if you're building a permanent structure do you only provide toilets in portakabins? (I refer to the south terrace)
  • the south terrace has a temporary feel about it being of a prefabricated structure. I know its a cost thing but concrete terracing is far more durable and will last a lot longer
  • again on the south stand; the PA system is poor - myself and those around me struggled to hear what was being said. As somebody suggested next to me placing some speakers on the centre green would sort that out;
  • as others have said the catering outlets are disappointing; usual burger and chips fayre - people want different food these days. It can't be that difficult to bring in a choice of caterers especially if you want to attract younger fans.
Overall though I think its a great facility and a big step forward for the sport in this country.

As others have said I think the poor weather and a Monday night coupled with the traffic issues in Manchester last night had an impact on the attendance.

I very much look forward to my next visit to the stadium.