British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
steve roberts

Riders Who Never Quite Fulfilled Their Full Potential

Does it matter?

If I have posted something that doesn't matter to you,why reply,fool :P Course it doesn't matter,it was just a tongue in cheek post

If we go right back what about Sprout Elder?Did he reach his full potential or was maybe, his peak before speedway championships got going?

If I have posted something that doesn't matter to you,why reply,fool :P Course it doesn't matter,it was just a tongue in cheek post

If we go right back what about Sprout Elder?Did he reach his full potential or was maybe, his peak before speedway championships got going?

Don't have a hernia me old mucker just a bit of banter take a chill pill 😅 Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 1

On a world championship level I am surprised that certain riders didn't do more.

Chris Morton

Lance King

Tommy Knudsen

Henka Gustafsson

Phil Crump

Jan Andersson

Zenon Plech

Mikael Karlsson

The Moran brothers are a few in my opinion.

On a world championship level I am surprised that certain riders didn't do more.

Chris Morton

Lance King

Tommy Knudsen

Henka Gustafsson

Phil Crump

Jan Andersson

Zenon Plech

Mikael Karlsson

To make a post like this shows what you have said on another thread total crap when i see you post ever again F... ou !

Chris Morton

Lance King

Tommy Knudsen

Henka Gustafsson

Phil Crump

Jan Andersson

Zenon Plech

Mikael Karlsson

Chris Morton=rubbish gater, great overtaker.

Lance King=Not committed enough to the BL.

Tommy Knudsen=injured too much.

Henka Gustafsson=smoked too much

Phil Crump=too nice(unlike sonny boy.)

Jan Andersson=got a nose bleed when he left the inside

Zenon Plech=fastest rider in the world in 79(should've beaten Mauger.)

Mikael Karlsson=looked like taking over from Rickardsson, changed his name and went backwards.

Moran brothers=all the talent in the world, but enjoyed the sauce too much.

I offer up:

John Jackson

Andrzej Huszcza

Andy Hackett

Peter Purves and John Noakes!

I offer up:

John Jackson

Andrzej Huszcza

Andy Hackett

Jackson was my favourite ever NL rider,see him once at the brilliant Elesmere Port track a great team man like Steve Lawson a brilliant no 1 for a number of years.

Jackson was my favourite ever NL rider,see him once at the brilliant Elesmere Port track a great team man like Steve Lawson a brilliant no 1 for a number of years.

Remember in 1976 when John Jackson was doubling for a Wolves 'select' side as they were known that year at White City. He was constantly anticipating the start that night much to the annoyance of the home crowd and was eventually warned of his conduct. Of course in those days there was slack control of the starts but some of his actions that night were quite blatant. Biased view? Yes! Wolves beat 'The Rebels' with, as I mentioned, a 'select' side containing both Reg Wilson and Mike Lanham as guests from what I can remember.

Brian Brett- retired far to early. For sure should have made the 1964 World final after leading the qualifiers for the British Final where there were 8 spots available for the qualification for the World Final.. Made the 1965 World Final-scored 9 points then retired 2 or 3 years later.

Brian Crutcher - Poole and Wembley. Finished second to Ronnie Moore in the 1954 Final and retired in 1959. Affectionally known as 'Nipper!'

Brian Crutcher - Poole and Wembley. Finished second to Ronnie Moore in the 1954 Final and retired in 1959. Affectionally known as 'Nipper!'

I hate to be too pedantic, but Brian Crutcher retired in 1960 in the same week that I saw my first meeting. I thought it was something I'd done!
  • Like 1

Bob Garrad for me was like John Jackson(he was my favourite ever NLrider)was not that bothered about being fulltime BL riders. Jacko did for a bit at Wolves also i think Bob? might of for a bit for the Hawks.Both fine riders,other riders how good was Dag Lovaas he was quality and another star Eddie Jancarz all of those could of achieved alot more.

Jacko was tied to Elle Port by my father's sponsorship so difficult for hm to move up full time BL as it was then but you are right Jacko could have gone on to great things but was still one of the greatest NL stars of all time.The night he went to Wolves for a try out ( Bill Bridget was running it ) he got in the s/half final George Hunter ,Jimmy Mac ,Jacko and I forget the fourth rider but he gated and won the race.George said to him after the race your wasted in the NL the only rider I followed round here that riders like that is "Ole " himself !!!!

Jacko was tied to Elle Port by my father's sponsorship so difficult for hm to move up full time BL as it was then but you are right Jacko could have gone on to great things but was still one of the greatest NL stars of all time.The night he went to Wolves for a try out ( Bill Bridget was running it ) he got in the s/half final George Hunter ,Jimmy Mac ,Jacko and I forget the fourth rider but he gated and won the race.George said to him after the race your wasted in the NL the only rider I followed round here that riders like that is "Ole " himself !!!!

Jacko with Lawson and both Owen lads Wilcock, a few examples all unsung heroes really good riders all of them.

Jacko with Lawson and both Owen lads Wilcock, a few examples all unsung heroes really good riders all of them.

All good riders in the National League but none showed the inclination to move up full time. The British League Division Two was introduced to develop new young talent but that concept seemed to have got forgotten once the League re-invented itself and became the New and then National League. I didn't begrudge riders wishing to remain as 'big fish in little pools' but personally I feel that when the league went independent England began to lose its way on the international front and the supply of riders began to dry up.

Edited by steve roberts