British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
John Leslie

Should Greg Hancock Ride For Usa?

AS I understand it Greg Hancock was never going to ride at Belle Vue and only did so in Sweden to ensure that the USA finished third and won't have to start the 2017 campaign on the bottom rung of the ladder.

There is no obligation for the USA to choose Hancock of course but surely they should have been open and honest and admitted to their plan beforehand so at least speedway fans going to BV on Friday knew that Greg wouldn't be there come what may.

Of course, it would have been even better had the USA left Greg out at Vastervik where he could have been in the pits helping and encouraging the young Americans. Okay, that would probably have meant them finishing fourth but at least the German quartet would have been more competitive in the Race-Off without affecting the result.

It certainly left a sour taste in the mouth but not sure what the authorities can do.

What the FIM can do, and made perfectly clear on Friday and Saturday that they will, is come done very hard on individual riders and teams who blatantly attempt to "fix" a race in order to use/avoid a Joker ride. Team managers were warned that heavy fines and licence suspensions would be imposed for such behaviour.

• Like 2

AS I understand it Greg Hancock was never going to ride at Belle Vue and only did so in Sweden to ensure that the USA finished third and won't have to start the 2017 campaign on the bottom rung of the ladder.

There is no obligation for the USA to choose Hancock of course but surely they should have been open and honest and admitted to their plan beforehand so at least speedway fans going to BV on Friday knew that Greg wouldn't be there come what may.

Of course, it would have been even better had the USA left Greg out at Vastervik where he could have been in the pits helping and encouraging the young Americans. Okay, that would probably have meant them finishing fourth but at least the German quartet would have been more competitive in the Race-Off without affecting the result.

It certainly left a sour taste in the mouth but not sure what the authorities can do.

What the FIM can do, and made perfectly clear on Friday and Saturday that they will, is come done very hard on individual riders and teams who blatantly attempt to "fix" a race in order to use/avoid a Joker ride. Team managers were warned that heavy fines and licence suspensions would be imposed for such behaviour.

Should that statement not have been made before the 1rst round.Poor excuse.Proving that a rider is fixing race will be difficult if done properly.eg Tape touch ,EF. Edited by Fromafar

So I Suppose the next question is- why does Greg not want to ride in the SWC ?

Should that statement not have been made before the 1rst round.Poor excuse.Proving that a rider is fixing race will be difficult if done properly.eg Tape touch ,EF.

the fixing is slowing down for 1 point less . not getting excluded and losing 3 , and it's also subjective to who are are dropping points to .

• Like 1

The interesting thing is, he was interviewed on TV in Sweden and never gave any impression then that he was not riding at Belle Vue.

• Like 1

The interesting thing is, he was interviewed on TV in Sweden and never gave any impression then that he was not riding at Belle Vue.

EXACTLY but we now know that the decision had been already been made.

Or better still, get rid of the bloody thing altogether!

• Like 6

Becker was already in the first round as reserve so had his suit made.

Broc has been wearing last year's WC suit (or the same design) all season in the states.

Fair enough. But reading Phil Rising next post while I may have been wrong I did get the write answer, it was always planned.

Erm, it's not race fixing if it leads to a bigger win. Lose battle to win the war and all that. If the FIM don't want it happening, get rid of the rule! While its there then this will happen, legitimately.

the fixing is slowing down for 1 point less . not getting excluded and losing 3 , and it's also subjective to who are are dropping points to .

The planning might include more than 1race ahead though,if the team manager is smart,plenty Plan B's options.

The oddest part of Greg not turning up for the Race off was the big interview he did a couple of days before. And being a Monster Sponsored rider I'm surprised they didn't lean on him to be there.

I sincerely hope the SWC doesn't become like the 'lesser' competitions in football where the big name players take an opportunity to rest.

Fair enough. But reading Phil Rising next post while I may have been wrong I did get the write answer, it was always planned.

They may or may not have had a suit made for him (it looked new to be fair) but I do know he didn't leave US until earliest Wednesday, possibly Thursday which would suggest to me it was a last minute decision to include him.

The oddest part of Greg not turning up for the Race off was the big interview he did a couple of days before. And being a Monster Sponsored rider I'm surprised they didn't lean on him to be there.

I sincerely hope the SWC doesn't become like the 'lesser' competitions in football where the big name players take an opportunity to rest.

I don't think we need to worry about downgrading the World Cup competition. In this case, a certain Yank just thought he could be his usual insincerity, and gain some credit for a planned decision to stop at home with the wife and kids, instead of riding for his country in the biggest comp that that country could compete in.

Some folks fall for it but.

• Like 1

I cant think of the American in Sweden since Jon Cook maybe back in the late 90's.

Must have been around 2006-ish

Must have been around 2006-ish

whatever year it was it was after he had established himself as a top rider by coming to UK many years earlier and learning his trade when he was unknown he wouldn't have got a team spot elsewhere at that time

whatever year it was it was after he had established himself as a top rider by coming to UK many years earlier and learning his trade when he was unknown he wouldn't have got a team spot elsewhere at that time

No it wasn't.He remains unknown even now,as neither i nor scb can remember his name :rofl: