British Speedway Forum
TB1

Speedway Agm

BSPA should have split 20 clubs into a North and South premiership if you will with a league sponsor, 13 heat format 6 rider teams.

A two year plan for each club to have a junior team consisting of 4 riders teams racing the same night BEFORE the main meeting in a 6 heat format so 3 rides each with a 7 round individual championship split between North, East, South and West with the top 4 progressing to the grand final with lots of development/training days with ex and current riders.

After this period the leagues expand to 16 teams each to get the NL teams in

Add a league and ko cup

British championship to be a 3/4 round series maybe sponsored by someone like Vanarama who put £50k in as an overall prize fund with a brand new Van to the champ maybe get in association with a van manufacture etc

So many people looking for the negative but why not look at the plus points.

Good thinking, marky!

Just remind me.........what are the plus points.

:party:

• Like 1

Putting aside the issues of doubling up/down , are the likes of bomber and watt going to ride for premier money when they double down ? I doubt it , so how is this helping the likes of Workington or any premier team financially ?

He seems to be implying he would, so we can only take him at face value. Don't forget it should be easier money in the PL given the standard of opposition, and maybe any lower income offsets the time/costs of travelling abroad. Plus he had to be losing money riding in the GPs, which he doesn't have now.

Has it been confirmed that;

• There will be no top league (whatever the EL is now rebranded as) racing on Saturdays
  • There will be one or more race nights in the top league (whatever the EL is now rebranded as) or is that still open for discussion?
  • Is there to be a different race format than 2016?
  • what about fast track riders?

This for starters.

• There will be no top league (whatever the EL is now rebranded as) racing on Saturdays
  • There will be one or more race nights in the top league (whatever the EL is now rebranded as) or is that still open for discussion?

This for starters.

The PL format of 2016 is to be used in both league in 2017.

This for starters.

3 and 4 easy to answer- both Premiership and Championship are using this seasons Premier league format in 2017 and FTR`s are in the bin.

1 and 2 nothing said so presumably more than 2 nights will be used including Saturday.

Edited by racers and royals

1 and 2 nothing said so presumably more than 2 nights will be used including Saturday.

It seems that way..

Surely after the first greensheet averages rider will have a proper average that only needs to be converted if a riders switches divisions, as it is now.

These converted averages are being brought in for team building purposes only, not for life.

The trouble with speedway is that nothing can believed until it happens and sometimes not even then.

The last time we had the AGM that made "dramatic" changes and would secure the long term future of the sport and reduce costs I said that is until the next such AGM, so this is the AGM to make dramatic changes, to secure the long term future and reduce costs: Well now you have it. I am just waiting for the next one because as sure as eggs is eggs it will happen.

If anybody thinks I am joking I have heard the same thing every few years since the 1964 AGM When the failing 1st division bribed the successful 2nd division into joining and make one big league in 1965.

Edited by The Little Un
  • Like 2

Surely if a Club doesn't want to go up - then they will ride to lose in the 'Play Offs'.

Yes - there will be some fun and games next Season.

What if the bottom Premiership side wants to drop down? Who gets the Premiership place after two 0-0 draws with 120 engine failures and falls :D

They have kept 'Double Points' - so sadly I won't be there to see it.

The PL had been running 2 leg matches without double points for the last couple of seasons.

Has it been said whether the new KO Cups and play offs will allow them?

Edited by HenryW

Surely if a Club doesn't want to go up - then they will ride to lose in the 'Play Offs'.

Yes - there will be some fun and games next Season.

They have kept 'Double Points' - so sadly I won't be there to see it.

I don't think Hancock will be riding in the Championship, TWK.

Double Points will eventually be eased out of the leagues, I am sure.

To be replaced by triple points hopefully ;)

• Like 2

I am retired but once a month I meet up with 8 or 9 of my old workmates for a breakfast and general chat about old times etc.

The sports talk is as would be expected, mainly about football but as they know I am a speedway enthusiast, they always bring this into the conversation, and it's interesting to listen to their take on the peculiarities of our sport.

All of them think the points limit is a very good idea - and say that they wished there could be something like this in football to curb the way it is now being driven by money.

They understand and appreciate the need for speedway to have guest riders and rider-replacement - recognising that it is different to football inasmuch as in football, a team can cover for an inexperienced "passenger" in the way that speedway can't. They realise that speedway has to be competitive to maintain interest, and that one-sided matches are usually a bore. Football, they agree, is a results-only driven game - none of them care how badly their team plays as long as they win.

What none of them can get their heads round though is when I tell them that one of my team's riders can't ride for us because he is riding for another club on the same night. (ie doubling-up). They can't work out how a professional sport allows one rider to ride for two different clubs and they are amazed to find that it is so widespread.

I couldn't agree more with this view. Doubling-up has been of no benefit to speedway in any way. All it has done has been to create the shortage of riders that promoters are now moaning about. The supposed objective of giving a rider the chance to "test the water" with a view to moving up a league has never ever been followed. Doubling-up has just been the easy option, and it astonishes me that so many supporters still seem to think it is a good idea.

I have never been in favour of it and strongly believe that "one-man-one-team" should be strictly enforced although I accept that this can't be achieved overnight now that doubling-up is totally out of control. The very least that the BSPA should do is aim phase it out over a period.

I am also strongly opposed to the so-called "squad" system which is being proposed by so many supporters. If it is introduced it will be nothing more than a free hand for those riders who want to pick and choose when and where they ride -and there are already too many instances of this happening. Does anyone seriously think that overseas stars will come flocking back to ride for British teams for half a dozen selected matches and do it for peanuts? They won't. They will expect to be paid the same money for riding in the odd few matches they want to ride in, as they would be for a full season. If this ill-thought out idea is ever implemented, it will be a disaster.

Edited by BBuck
  • Like 7

What none of them can get their heads round though is when I tell them that one of my team's riders can't ride for us because he is riding for another club on the same night. (ie doubling-up). They can't work out how a professional sport allows one rider to ride for two different clubs and they are amazed to find that it is so widespread.

I couldn't agree more with this view. Doubling-up has been of no benefit to speedway in any way. All it has done has been to create the shortage of riders that promoters are now moaning about. The supposed objective of giving a rider the chance to "test the water" with a view to moving up a league has never ever been followed. Doubling-up has just been the easy option, and it astonishes me that so many supporters still seem to think it is a good idea.

I have never been in favour of it and strongly believe that "one-man-one-team" should be strictly enforced although I accept that this can't be achieved overnight now that doubling-up is totally out of control. The very least that the BSPA should do is aim phase it out over a period

totally agree one of the worst things ever to happen to team speedway, it has no merit or credibility for fans , it's good for riders but as I've asked before who is the most important fans or riders ?

totally agree one of the worst things ever to happen to team speedway, it has no merit or credibility for fans , it's good for riders but as I've asked before who is the most important fans or riders ?

no fans , no riders is the simple equation.

No riders, no fans is the same thing.

there will always be riders , just maybe not the standard that we have now
  • Like 2