British Speedway Forum
mac101

Sky To Pull Out.

It's not a given that Sky will release the broadcast rights to another competitor. When they renewed the contract for Rugby League they paid for the broadcast rights for all 3 leagues but stopped showing Championship games early in the contract. Other broadcasters wanted to pick up those broadcasting rights but Sky said no, even though they had no plans to use them they were not prepared to let go of them to their competitors. So you might find a situation where if Sky don't show anything then nobody does, so be careful what you wish for.

The ability of forum users to miss the point, often quite deliberately just to make cheap points is beyond belief. I posted what I did to warn people who may not know what is actually involved in buying and using these boxes to help people. As usual it gets twisted. I've deleted all posts since there really is no point in trying to reason with unreasonable people.

Anyone who wonders why TV advertisers and sponsors shun speedway only need to take a look at these forums to know they're wise to keep well clear.

exactly !!!

Last season Sky announced their first few televised fixtures in February, I cant see anything listed for this season yet.

Last season Sky announced their first few televised fixtures in February, I cant see anything listed for this season yet.

You won't - SKY have pulled the plug ! BT rumoured to be interested.

Firstly, have sky found a way to ditch the 5 year contract without any financial penalties? If so then you have to wonder if the delay in getting a deal with BT is due to what they are willing to offer BSPA for the rights, remember all Premiership clubs (barring Belle Vue) would have built a team with the security of TV income in their cash flow.

Or secondly if Sky have decided to simply ditch speedway to save on production costs, and are not willing to do a deal to release the rights to BT, then the knock on effect to Premiership club's could again be significant as whilst they will still receive their sky money I am sure sponsors will want a reduction in their deals or could possibly pull out all together (I estimate this to be worth just as much to the clubs as the actual sky money).

Either way let's hope a way forward is found otherwise lots of riders could find themselves taking a pay cut before a wheel has even turned.

PS also makes me wonder if Mick Horton threw the towel in once he had a sniff that these problems were coming, and hence why he didn't turn up at MC meeting to fight his case about Coventry being allowed to remain in the league. And would also makes sense as to why MC did stop Coventry running as it would allow each remaining club a larger chunk of whatever money is coming from either Sky or BT.

Edited by jchapman
  • Like 1

Firstly, have sky found a way to ditch the 5 year contract without any financial penalties? If so then you have to wonder if the delay in getting a deal with BT is due to what they are willing to offer BSPA for the rights, remember all Premiership clubs (barring Belle View) would have built a team with the security of TV income in their cash flow.

Or secondly if Sky have decided to simply ditch speedway to save on production costs, and are not willing to do a deal to release the rights to BT, then the knock on effect to Premiership club's could again be significant as whilst they will still receive their sky money I am sure sponsors will want a reduction in their deals or could possibly pull out all together (I estimate this to be worth just as much to the clubs as the actual sky money).

Either way let's hope a way forward is found otherwise lots of riders could find themselves taking a pay cut before a wheel has even turned.

PS also makes me wonder if Mick Horton threw the towel in once he had a sniff that these problems were coming, and hence why he didn't turn up at MC meeting to fight his case about Coventry being allowed to remain in the league. And would also makes sense as to why MC did stop Coventry running as it would allow each remaining club a larger chunk of whatever money is coming from either Sky or BT.

As pointed out earlier, it would be easy for Sky to get out of their contract if they have a contract to show Elite League Speedway.

In their wisdom, the BSPA have dropped the Elite League moniker. So it no longer exists. Perfect get-out if Sky need one.

It's been said here that BT are showing league speedway, but I've seen no confirmation of that anywhere.

As pointed out earlier, it would be easy for Sky to get out of their contract if they have a contract to show Elite League Speedway.

In their wisdom, the BSPA have dropped the Elite League moniker. So it no longer exists. Perfect get-out if Sky need one.

It's been said here that BT are showing league speedway, but I've seen no confirmation of that anywhere.

did sky not show 'premiership speedway' also ?

if the 're-branding' of the sport has allowed sky to ditch it, there must have been some other deal on the go beforehand,,,

surely the BSPA aren't capable of dropping a bollock like that ?

Edited by ruffdiamond

did sky not show 'premiership speedway' also ?

surely if the 're-branding' of the sport has allowed sky to ditch it, there must have been some other deal on the go beforehand,,,

The changes this close season are a little bit more than just rebranding.

The use of 'lower league' averages to determine team strengths.

Combined with just a (lower league) 10 point difference between the Premiership and Championship team strengts.

Would make it difficult to argue that there was anything 'Elite' available any more.

PS

I am not criticising the changes here, they are necessary to keep British Speedway alive.

But the sky moneymen will not be fooled by just the semantics of 'titles' when there has been a real (albeit correct) dilution of the overall rider quality they would be paying for.

Edited by Grand Central

At the same time, if that's Sky's get-out clause they then can't stop another broadcaster taking over the TV rights

Has there been any official statement from Terry Russell / Gospeed?

Interesting...

• The BSPA web site still has links to SkySports
  • GoSpeed still have links to SkySports

So, if these web sites are to be believed, it's business as usual and nothing has happened.

And if you believe that, you'll believe anything.

GoSpeed still purport to hold the international media rights to the Polish Extraliga. Maybe some of those more familiar with the Polish TV situation can fill in the gaps, but I'm sure that the PZM revised their international media rights allocation in order to get better worldwide exposure, which GoSpeed was denying them.

Wouldn't it be ironic if SkySports were to show Polish league racing at weekends? :t:

At the same time, if that's Sky's get-out clause they then can't stop another broadcaster taking over the TV rights

I guess not, if that is indeed the case, as long as someone actually wants them.

Interesting...

• The BSPA web site still has links to SkySports
  • GoSpeed still have links to SkySports

So, if these web sites are to be believed, it's business as usual and nothing has happened.

And if you believe that, you'll believe anything.

GoSpeed still purport to hold the international media rights to the Polish Extraliga. Maybe some of those more familiar with the Polish TV situation can fill in the gaps, but I'm sure that the PZM revised their international media rights allocation in order to get better worldwide exposure, which GoSpeed was denying them.

Wouldn't it be ironic if SkySports were to show Polish league racing at weekends? :t:

The GoSpeed site still refers to Elite and Premier Leagues.

I wouldn't hang my hat on how up to date that site is!

Quite correct but it does not mean that other broadcasters will want to agree to the same deal. There offer could be more or it could be less, however when you only have one buyer then more often than not the offer will be less!

You won't - SKY have pulled the plug ! BT rumoured to be interested.

Well lets hope they are.