British Speedway Forum
IAN2

Hull City Of Culture 2017

If Hull is the City of Culture in 2017 and attracting large investment into the area where is the Speedway and is anybody interested in bringing it back, seems like it is now or never for the Vikings.

City of Culture is a sticker added on for brief period time and when that is over, the same social problems Hull and it's resident's have will still exist.

Coventry are bidding for the title in 2021.

City of Culture is a sticker added on for brief period time and when that is over, the same social problems Hull and it's resident's have will still exist.

so are you saying it would be better if they didn't have it?

From what i have read culture can benefit regeneration, although obviously your sink estate yobs will still be there. Perhaps they'll be quoting Larkin and Marvell as they stomp on your head.

• Like 1

Coventry are bidding for the title in 2021.

How about Ipswich?

Then it will truly become meaningless. It almost is now. There is rarely any genuine legacy.

Why are there TWO Threads running on this subject? Could I suggest that the Threads be merged by the Mods please?

How about Ipswich?

Then it will truly become meaningless. It almost is now. There is rarely any genuine legacy.

Whoopsie re Ipswich! I have found this information - so it's a no go!: "Ipswich remains a 'town' despite a few attempts at winning 'city' status. It does not have a cathedral, so the Bishop of St Edmundsbury and Ipswich is based at Bury St Edmunds, the former county town of West Suffolk."

Edited by Guest

Whoopsie re Ipswich! I have found this information - so it's a no go!: "Ipswich remains a 'town' despite a few attempts at winning 'city' status. It does not have a cathedral, so the Bishop of St Edmundsbury and Ipswich is based at Bury St Edmunds, the former county town of West Suffolk."

Don't fret Gustix. Towns can apply for the 2021 City of Culture as well......

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39129473

Though Ipswich will have to wait for another 4 years.

The quote was from another source. Not mine. When I suggested Ipswich the basic reason was to bring another place into debate on the thread. I then did a check to see if it was a city, found was not but received then quoted message.

I have not visited Ipswich since the mid-1950s, when I went in the company of Josef Hofmeister and Phil Bishop to see a speedway meeting there.

​TBH it makes no difference to me what happens in regard to Ipswich becoming a city or otherwise.

Whoopsie re Ipswich! I have found this information - so it's a no go!: "Ipswich remains a 'town' despite a few attempts at winning '[/size]city' status. It does not have a cathedral, so the Bishop of St Edmundsbury and [/size]Ipswich is based at Bury St Edmunds, the former county town of West Suffolk."[/size]

does it really matter ???, cos 'Cathederal City' cheese isn't even from a city !!!

Not looked into the City Of Culture criteria, I for one was amazed the city was selected and Hull certainly does not possess a cathedral. It interests me not one jot as so far it misses much of which Hull is known for e.g. fishing, unique phone system and telephone boxes, try finding a 'traditional' cream phone box; one city centre pub has one in its beer garden and painted it red (!) I suspect it won't change a thing, will miss a lot of local culture and will be a waste of money, did the organisers actually ask locals?. Incedentally anyone thinking of visiting Hull, beware city centre traffic. Recent, prolonged road works created but 5 disabled parking spaces, good for those who can't get around, but nixed 20 to 30 regular ones in other areas, so creating what I have called 'the 15mph GP' as drivers circulate searching an elusive parking place and thus avoiding the inconvenient multi-stories....

Edited by Martin Mauger

Not looked into the City Of Culture criteria, I for one was amazed the city was selected and Hull certainly does not possess a cathedral. It interests me not one jot as so far it misses much of which Hull is known for e.g. fishing, unique phone system and telephone boxes, try finding a 'traditional' cream phone box; one city centre pub has one in its beer garden and painted it red (!) I suspect it won't change a thing, will miss a lot of local culture and will be a waste of money, did the organisers actually ask locals?. Incedentally anyone thinking of visiting Hull, beware city centre traffic. Recent, prolonged road works created but 5 disabled parking spaces, good for those who can't get around, but nixed 20 to 30 regular ones in other areas, so creating what I have called 'the 15mph GP' as drivers circulate searching an elusive parking place and thus avoiding the inconvenient multi-stories....

​Apparently, if you make a Google check on the criteria needed for City status a Cathedral IS NOT A MUST as support for such an application.

Edited by Guest

​Apparently, if you make a Google check on the criteria needed for City status a Cathedral IS NOT A MUST as support for such an application.

Seems that despite only living 5 miles away gustix has somehow missed Croydons 3 attempts this century to achieve "city" status and all the debate it aroused.I managed to read about it and live nearly 600 miles away :party: All a bit strange given his interest in the subject :icon_smile_clown:

Edited by iris123

Edited by salty