British Speedway Forum
martin_t

Heathens Planning Application

I wish Cradley Supporters all the luck in the World.

You have certainly fought long and hard for it to happen.

• Like 3

https://www.doogal.co.uk/ShowMap.php?postcode=B69%201JD

The site already has numerous football pitches, and a barely used Clubhouse facility with 30 Changing rooms, Medical room, 2 Function Rooms holding 150 and 250 respectively, plus a small Lounge holding perhaps 20 people ideal for Sponsors.. and a lift for those that need it, logistically its almost perfect with local Bus routes having stops on all four sides of the site, its within a minute or 2 of Junction 2 of the M5..

If it's as ideal as it seems, why wasn't it considered much sooner than now? Or was it but something has changed in the meantime?

If it's as ideal as it seems, why wasn't it considered much sooner than now? Or was it but something has changed in the meantime?

Because the promoters spent the last eight years trying to get Dudley council on their side and didn't consider going over the border to Sandwell.
  • Like 1

Positive news. Important not to start putting the bunting up just yet, but good to see some concrete news. Hopefully it's the start for Cradley finally getting a place of their own.

Why would there be opposition from within the sport? Surely this would be seen as a good thing and get the Club out of a track sharing situation?

Good luck with it all

yes it would for all Cradley fans but do not underestimate the power of some people within the sport who may have a more selfish agenda
  • Like 1

yes it would for all Cradley fans but do not underestimate the power of some people within the sport who may have a more selfish agenda

Can you expand on that satatement The Dean Machine?

I will totally understand if you can't. :t:

Just a question, how can the trust submit a planning application when they are not the owners or promoters of the club ?

Just a question, how can the trust submit a planning application when they are not the owners or promoters of the club ?

Nothing to stop them building a stadium for the Sandwell Heathens ;)

I can't see that the current promotion own the name Heathens. After all, we have three teams with Tigers in their name....

• Like 1

Anyone can submit a planning application for any piece of land. For example I could submit an application to knock down your house and build a waste incinerator on the site.

• Like 2

I can't see that the current promotion own the name Heathens. After all, we have three teams with Tigers in their name....

The current promotion do however own the licence and that would need to be purchased before any meetings could take place at any new track in the vacinity.
  • Like 2

I remember when Nigel Wagstaff acquired the rights of Oxford Speedway he wasn't able to use the moniker "Cheetahs" by the outgoing promotion...which I thought very odd at the time! We ended up with that awful "Silver Machine" nickname!

• Like 1

Good news and fingers crossed that this goes through and another new track comes to the tapes. On the question of racing and any opposition from the current owners of the licence to promote, what is to stop the the owners of the track holding open meetings or renting it out to another team? I am sure that if approval is granted, a way will be found if enough people work together, something which does not seem to happen too often these days in the current Speedway set-up

What is the problem in regard to a possible use of the word Heathens? Is there a copyright on it?

And elsewhere, Steve Roberts mentions there was a problem once at Oxford in regard to the use of the word Cheethahs.

Surely, nothing can stop an application for a potential speedway licence to be made just under an area name, then start the use of the nickname Heathens? As has been pointed out elsewhere there are several speedways using the nickname Tigers so there should be no objections to the use of the Heathens nickname.

Edited by Guest

Can you expand on that satatement The Dean Machine?

I will totally understand if you can't. :t:

its amazing how seemingly open doors can slam shut when a word from the right person in the right ear takes place , everyone wants Cradley back but not everyone has the same agender and a clash will be and already is in exsistance , as I've said before the trust needs to use its fan power to stand a chance , although I do believe the trust also needs to look at its own personality and who is fronting it but that's just my personal opinion
  • Like 3