British Speedway Forum
Star Lady

Do We Still Need The Play-offs

Not sure Lynn, Leicester, Somerset and Rye House fans would agree. Their seasons have sort of petered out, without the climax of a final meeting.

But with no playoffs, the season would have petered out for every team. They would all have last meetings, but no climax.

• Like 2

But with no playoffs, the season would have petered out for every team. They would all have last meetings, but no climax.

Yes and no :P

With a simple league competition teams know when their last team meeting is and can celebrate/commiserate accordingly and publicise it in advance. With play-offs it's not so clear cut. Rye House and Poole for instance had no way of knowing if their last league match would be the final home meeting of the season. The same could also be said of Lynn and Leicester if the relegation play-off ever happens*. The fans of those clubs lose out on the chance to say farewell to the riders of that season.

It's a while since I attended a "proper" end of season meeting - you know the ones flour balls hurled to and from riders and fans, speeches from riders, mechanics races etc but I remember many of them with fondness.

*Lynn this season is slightly different due to somewhat unusual circumstances :P

• Like 2

Should be a decent attendance for club's who make semis; even bigger for final.

Means there is a big financial incentive and could rescue some clubs finances.

If you miss out, season over early - like it was for last couple of years at Lakeside when they were in the EL.

Problem is to find some meaningful competition for those that miss out.

Not at Poole who had a lower than normal number attending this year.

Seems from rumours that speedway on TV is no longer the cash cow it was (if ever ) and the play-offs were brought in to suit TV, do we still need them.

Would it not be better to have a league with champions and an end of season cup competition so that clubs season doesn't end in August?

BT could always show the cup comp if they wanted to go into October.

Disclaimer....I've always been against play-offs

Definitely NOT!!!

The Team that tops the League at the end of the Season are Champions.

The Play Offs totally negate the League - you might as well not bother with League Meetings - they are merely Qualifying Meetings for a Cup.

Have another money making Competition if you like.

To echo Star Lady:

Disclaimer: I have always hated the Play Offs too.

• Like 3

It's a while since I attended a "proper" end of season meeting - you know the ones flour balls hurled to and from riders and fans, speeches from riders, mechanics races etc but I remember many of them with fondness.

Aah, the ceremonial burning of Len Silver's trousers!

• Like 4

Aah, the ceremonial burning of Len Silver's trousers!

............ and Johnnie Hoskins Hat.

• Like 4

Never liked the play offs the champions should be who wins the league. Don't follow rugby league but if the play off winners haven't won the league then I fail to see how they can be called champions.Imagine if Chelsea had to go into a four match cup at the end of the season after winning the league and not ending up as champions!A serious sport like football would never come up with a daft idea like this and the fans wouldn't want it either.Ditch the stupid joker thing as well!

I

Never liked the play offs the champions should be who wins the league. Don't follow rugby league but if the play off winners haven't won the league then I fail to see how they can be called champions.Imagine if Chelsea had to go into a four match cup at the end of the season after winning the league and not ending up as champions!A serious sport like football would never come up with a daft idea like this and the fans wouldn't want it either.Ditch the stupid joker thing as well!

I

The stats say otherwise. Teams in the playoffs usually get good gates, sometimes their biggest gates in that year, just because it is a shootout completion. The meetings allow the teams involved to bring more money in to help them keep afloat. There are many varied sports that go for the playoffs as a good season ender. The other teams not in them, just finish their meetings as usual so no change there, but the playoffs give the season a pinnacle to end the season on with more money in and a televised event for the TV company.

Sticking with the old doesn't bring in one penny extra. That's business, and works for a lot of other sports. Despite the efforts/opinions of some, it has to be run as a business to try and keep tracks open.

• Like 1

They could keep the play-offs, but have them as separate to the league champions and have all teams involved.

Other sports such as Basketball do this, and the play-offs are still prestigious to win. Call them KO Cup or Craven Shield and nobody will care. Call them "play-offs" and they will. That's the way it is these days.

The ice hockey scenario is the best answer . Whoever wins the league are the champions , then we have an 8 team two legged quarter final with the four winners going through to the play off weekend at Nottingham . We could do the same with a play off weekend in Manchester . Two separate tournaments .

• Like 5

Should be a decent attendance for club's who make semis; even bigger for final.

Means there is a big financial incentive and could rescue some clubs finances.

If you miss out, season over early - like it was for last couple of years at Lakeside when they were in the EL.

Problem is to find some meaningful competition for those that miss out.

The flip side is how much clubs lose leading up to the play offs...

The Aces will get around 2300 I reckon for the Semi but have ran in front of 800 or so in the meetings leading up to cram in the required meetings..

Is that one gate of 2300 better than 4 of 5 meetings of reduced attendances due to fitting meetings in and not having much to race for as already qualified..?

The 3000 plus final crowd is I would suggest the deal breaker rather than the semi...

But obviously, only of any use if you get there...

For me Paulco's idea from Ice Hockey re have a full season and then all in a quick cup Comp sounds the right mix...

A 'Magic Weekend' for Speedway at the NSS..

Late August Bank Holiday Weekend..

Cut off date agreed to decide the draw based on League position, first play eighth, second versus seventh etc. etc. .

Friday night double header starting at 7pm for the first two quaters finals. .

Saturday night double header at 7pm for the other two quarters..

Sunday night double header starting at 5pm for the semis..

BHM 5pm start time for the Final...

Sell a Weekend ticket for £80, £20 for kids, and an adult and kid gets to see seven meetings at not much over £15 a match..

Surely would sell 2500 adult tickets that way if properly marketed the 12 months prior..?

If so, £200k without the kids income...

Deals with hotels, sponsors and TV coverage sorted too to make the event "Big Time"

School hols still then too..

Carry on with the league after the 'Magic Weekend' with no having to cram meetings in making the fixture list more consistent and Speedway running to October...

Edited by mikebv

I doubt if Lynn will even run next season. If they do it will be in the championship

Not at Poole who had a lower than normal number attending this year.

Can't wait to see what yours is....Orions always bleating please come to Swindon.. :o Says it all really.

Edited by Starman2006

Bumper crowds in speedway terms for the Play-Offs can't disguise the glory-seeking angle of some fans and those who stayed away from the less-mouthwatering matches in the league campaign, which really means nothing other than to find the four (often obvious) semi-finalists. I think the Play-Offs have devalued the league programme and think some fans will stay away, so the turn out for the Play-Offs might not even make up.

Often I think the season is aimed at the Play-Off Final and then what happens after that is of no importance. They ruined the KO Cup and deny most tracks that definite end-of-season finale that the old league programme, pre-Play-Offs, used to give.

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 1

Re Play-Offs, it is possible for a team that finishes 4th in the league to go on and win the play offs and so become the league champions: Can this be a good thing for the top of the league team.

Bumper crowds in speedway terms for the Play-Offs can't disguise the glory-seeking angle of some fans and those who stayed away from the less-mouthwatering matches in the league campaign, which really means nothing other than to find the four (often obvious) semi-finalists. I think the Play-Offs have devalued the league programme and think some fans will stay away, so the turn out for the Play-Offs might not even make up.

Often I think the season is aimed at the Play-Off Final and then what happens after that is of no importance. They ruined the KO Cup and deny most tracks that definite end-of-season finale that the old league programme, pre-Play-Offs, used to give.

And of course only four get the chance to make any lost revenue during the qualifying matches up. For the others its lose/lose.

• Like 3

And of course only four get the chance to make any lost revenue during the qualifying matches up. For the others its lose/lose.

Correct.

I guess since the Play-Offs, the anticipation, that churning feeling as a fan for that top of the table clash between your side and fellow title chaser must have been lost, as teams can afford to lose such tussles and still make top four.

Also, if you don't make the top four, your club must feel like the poor kid who didn't get invited to the party and doesn't know whether he'll actually get to play again for that year. The last week in October was always the end of the speedway season. Now it's a month earlier. All that comes afterwards seems to go unnoticed.

They are great speedway, but I feel they for just a couple of matches, they take something away from the pull of a seven-month season.