British Speedway Forum
Ghostwalker

Peter Pk Karlsson Have Announced His Retirement.

A credit to speedway in every way.

There is no doubt he would have been a top rider in whatever era of speedway.

Birmingham is 15 miles from Wolverhampton, it's a whole different world you know

Something you may be interested in. An academic has done research and come to the conclusion that the closest you will find to Shakespearean dialect currently spoken is to found in Lower Gornal in the black country. Apparently they still use words such as thee and thou.

Sunderland is only 13 miles away from Newcastle and there are distinct differences between them with key words like when they say spune, Luke and buke instead of spoon, look and book. (Note the double OO's)

Funnily enough that also are used to the thee and thou words as well. It happens often for a judge to say thee were caught pinching out of the till and as a punishment thou shall attend every home match of Sunderland FC. Could have been a visiting Judge of course.

• Like 1

Sunderland is only 13 miles away from Newcastle and there are distinct differences between them with key words like when they say spune, Luke and buke instead of spoon, look and book. (Note the double OO's)

Funnily enough that also are used to the thee and thou words as well. It happens often for a judge to say thee were caught pinching out of the till and as a punishment thou shall attend every home match of Sunderland FC. Could have been a visiting Judge of course.

CLASSIC Dave. :t::rofl: :rofl:

Lyuke and byuke though. :o;)

• Like 1

The night he said to Nicki Pedersen 'You're not going there old chap' (or words to that effect I would imagine!) on the Monmore back straight PK was assured of legendary status.

Fantastic tribute by a non-wolves fan, and a supporter of our local rivals. Many thanks SCB 😁

Birmingham is 15 miles from Wolverhampton, it's a whole different world you know 😀

Something you may be interested in. An academic has done research and come to the conclusion that the closest you will find to Shakespearean dialect currently spoken is to found in Lower Gornal in the black country. Apparently they still use words such as thee and thou.

do they ? I live 3 miles from there and all they do is grunt and point ,
  • Like 1

The night he said to Nicki Pedersen 'You're not going there old chap' (or words to that effect I would imagine!) on the Monmore back straight PK was assured of legendary status.

I can remember the picture of it, pretty sure it was on the front cover of the SS. Wasn't Nicki trying to put PK into the East Park but PK having non of it?

Edited by Red Flag
  • Like 1

do they ? I live 3 miles from there and all they do is grunt and point ,

😂😂😂

I can remember the picture of it, pretty sure it was on the front cover of the SS. Wasn't Nicki trying to put PK into the East Park but PK having non of it?

Yes it was, I have a copy of it. One of the best head on pictures ever, PK had to lift his left leg and it is above Nicki's foot rest, that's how close they were !

• Like 1

An absolute legend and a thoroughly nice bloke to boot.

Got to know him very well in the very early stages of his UK career and will never forget trying to gain entrance to a night club in Wolverhampton, past the hour they would normally let you in and he announced in his Swedish Black Country accent. "I'm Peter Karlsson, let me and my friends in".. I figured the bouncer wouldn't have a clue, but another one came over, knew who he was and in we went.

Happy retirement PK.

Absolute legend and as you say a lovely bloke as well, all the very best PK

PK, while of course amazingly deadpan (like his brothers, especially Mikael), could actually be quite demonstrative at times, I can recall him having a great night for Wolves at Poole when (from memory) he dropped his only points in an unsuccessful last heat decider. I congratulated him on a fine night as he returned to the pits and he chucked his crash helmet onto a bench and growled "We win if I do my job." Bit harsh!

After a bad crash he had a custom-built titanium knee brace made and there was some concern among fans about whether it would reduce his effectiveness and competitive nature. First match back was at Eastbourne with (again from memory) PK on gate one in his first race next to the Eagles' top guy, one N Pedersen. Lights on, tapes up, clutch dropped, right elbow inserted into third rib, Pedersen veers off stage right and Karlsson away...

Some years ago the local paper had a Local Heroes awards night, glitzy presentation evening. PK was named a Local Hero; I thought this was a fairly inconsequential thing but Karlsson was, genuinely, absolutely made up to get that local recognition when his home was in Scandinavia. He had a little shelf in his corner of the pits and cleared it just to plonk this award on in pride of place.

Also recall him testing an engine one night and reporting back to Graham Jones: "It's OK out of the start, but it's a bit Nyeeeeeaaaaooowwww (makes banking aeroplane gesture) into the first turn". And Jonah knew what he meant!

Finally, that wonderful Black Country/Swedish accent. When he rode in the 2009 play-off final at Swindon, celebrating Wolves fans came into the pits afterwards. PK posed in front of them for a pic and one over-jubilant supporter threw an arm round him from behind and grabbed the collarbone. He reeled away and I picked up some new words with interesting pronunciation.

• Like 4

PK, while of course amazingly deadpan (like his brothers, especially Mikael), could actually be quite demonstrative at times, I can recall him having a great night for Wolves at Poole when (from memory) he dropped his only points in an unsuccessful last heat decider. I congratulated him on a fine night as he returned to the pits and he chucked his crash helmet onto a bench and growled "We win if I do my job." Bit harsh!

After a bad crash he had a custom-built titanium knee brace made and there was some concern among fans about whether it would reduce his effectiveness and competitive nature. First match back was at Eastbourne with (again from memory) PK on gate one in his first race next to the Eagles' top guy, one N Pedersen. Lights on, tapes up, clutch dropped, right elbow inserted into third rib, Pedersen veers off stage right and Karlsson away...

Some years ago the local paper had a Local Heroes awards night, glitzy presentation evening. PK was named a Local Hero; I thought this was a fairly inconsequential thing but Karlsson was, genuinely, absolutely made up to get that local recognition when his home was in Scandinavia. He had a little shelf in his corner of the pits and cleared it just to plonk this award on in pride of place.

Also recall him testing an engine one night and reporting back to Graham Jones: "It's OK out of the start, but it's a bit Nyeeeeeaaaaooowwww (makes banking aeroplane gesture) into the first turn". And Jonah knew what he meant!

Finally, that wonderful Black Country/Swedish accent. When he rode in the 2009 play-off final at Swindon, celebrating Wolves fans came into the pits afterwards. PK posed in front of them for a pic and one over-jubilant supporter threw an arm round him from behind and grabbed the collarbone. He reeled away and I picked up some new words with interesting pronunciation.

Cracking Post Fourentee.

Great to read about memories of a true great of British Speedway.