British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
4thbender

What Would You Change In Speedway Next Season?

Am excellent post showing what more could be done

The excellent cop out.

There are, but obviously with a lower overall standard.

Just an idea, but we could maybe do with a de-strengthening of the second tier, like was done in around 1997 season?

I'm sure most of us already know all this stuff but maybe worth a recap. As you may recall the two divisions ("Div 1" and "Div 2" as was called then) merged in 1995 season, thus was formed the "Premier League" of 21 teams. The amalgamated one league format remained for another season i.e. 1996 season. However, in the close season everything changed as the top boys wanted to break away hence the Elite League was born and the second tier retained its Premier moniker. The second tier was "de-strengthened" as they seem to call it so previous second strings under the amalgamated set up now became heat leaders as some of them had been before the merger but now achieving even higher averages than before - given that the second strings and reserves were now of a lesser standard even than before the amalgamation.

Prelude now over, there's maybe a call for a similar de-strengthening of the second tier. It seems to me that the difference in standard between the top two tiers is much less then it used to be (e.g. old BL/NL of the 80's). I know that some of that is due to not attracting GP riders as once was or World Finalists pre-GP days. Nevertheless, the difference in standard between second and top tier could maybe do with being restored by de-strengthening the second tier. This would enable young up and coming riders to be utilised and the tendency for doubling up could be reduced - a top rider probably wouldn't want to "double down" so much anyway. So doubling up/down could be limited as some appear to want (e.g. limited to British riders only) and it may be enough of a compromise between those that reckon doubling up should or has to remain and those that don't think it should be there at all. My mate Spanner may well be swung by this (thanks for getting back to me mate).

That's just my take on things. But really we're all on the same side, we all want Speedway to flourish. That we have different ideas on how to get there is a good thing. The more the merrier.

Just an idea, but we could maybe do with a de-strengthening of the second tier, like was done in around 1997 season?

I'm sure most of us already know all this stuff but maybe worth a recap. As you may recall the two divisions ("Div 1" and "Div 2" as was called then) merged in 1995 season, thus was formed the "Premier League" of 21 teams. The amalgamated one league format remained for another season i.e. 1996 season. However, in the close season everything changed as the top boys wanted to break away hence the Elite League was born and the second tier retained its Premier moniker. The second tier was "de-strengthened" as they seem to call it so previous second strings under the amalgamated set up now became heat leaders as some of them had been before the merger but now achieving even higher averages than before - given that the second strings and reserves were now of a lesser standard even than before the amalgamation.

Prelude now over, there's maybe a call for a similar de-strengthening of the second tier. It seems to me that the difference in standard between the top two tiers is much less then it used to be (e.g. old BL/NL of the 80's). I know that some of that is due to not attracting GP riders as once was or World Finalists pre-GP days. Nevertheless, the difference in standard between second and top tier could maybe do with being restored by de-strengthening the second tier. This would enable young up and coming riders to be utilised and the tendency for doubling up could be reduced - a top rider probably wouldn't want to "double down" so much anyway. So doubling up/down could be limited as some appear to want (e.g. limited to British riders only) and it may be enough of a compromise between those that reckon doubling up should or has to remain and those that don't think it should be there at all. My mate Spanner may well be swung by this (thanks for getting back to me mate).

That's just my take on things. But really we're all on the same side, we all want Speedway to flourish. That we have different ideas on how to get there is a good thing. The more the merrier.

The change was actually BSPA getting to know that a 'black' pirate league was being formed at a mixed PL and NL level. Faced with the fact that the black league being viable, and in completion to them, they invited us to join a new PL cheaper league which we agreed to do, and therefore we had a strong cheaper lower league with a decent number of teams. We agreed that that league would be limited to only 16 teams. We were one of the rebel teams, and it contained some surprising BSPA teams who had jumped ship. Interesting times those. :P

• Like 2

If I remember rightly,both Sheffield and Glasgow were mooted to join that 'pirate league' in 1997.

Anyhow back to the thread topic,

The League winners go straight to the play off final,there needs to be a better bonus to finishing first then getting first pick of the other teams.

• Like 1

I would like to change the zero league sponsorship, to a league that has sponsorship, and the sponsors money is the prize fund of your final league position, like most pro sports. This would also help with fixtures being arranged I'm sure.

• Like 1

If I remember rightly,both Sheffield and Glasgow were mooted to join that 'pirate league' in 1997.

Anyhow back to the thread topic,

The point regarding 1997 was of course also on topic i.e. de-strengthening of the second tier. In the longer term it didn't do the second tier any harm, and indeed the standard of rider substantially increased in successive years back to where it was, arguably stronger and a higher standard of rider such that many riders can change seamlessly from one to the other (doubling up/down). It may allow a larger number of riders to be utilised and reduce the need for doubling up/down. At least that's the logic. Just an idea.

The League winners go straight to the play off final,there needs to be a better bonus to finishing first then getting first pick of the other teams.

Yes there does need to be a better bonus for finishing first than getting first pick of the other teams. That better bonus should be - the League title.

There is no value for sponsorship baldy, it would be better to offer it for free

But I would like to see it in a position where it's viable

The BSPA and or GoSpeed only have viewing figures from BT Sport no other updated demographics, if they were to get a title sponsor it would have to be from within the sport such as a fan etc

And then the value isn't there, you couldn't expect to see enough to divide it by 12 teams and make much difference.

It would be better to look at popular companies that may have customers who are a good target audience and also look at brands that are associated to young people

Give title sponsorship to screwfix for free and have banners and flyers in all their stores to promote attending, insist on screwfix promoting regularly on social media

Give free sponsorship to vanarama and do the same as above

Maybe someone like Carabao energy to engage with a younger audience etc

After two years and having a few examples to show future paid sponsors they might be in a better position

• Like 1

What do we need changing in Speedway next season? Worth having a look at this thread....

Glasgow Tigers V Newcastle Diamonds Ko Cup 1/4 Final 1st Leg Fri Oct 6th 2017:

http://www.speedway-forum.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=85449

Tells you so much that is wrong with the sport and why so many are just fed up with how the sport is being run. So many factors on that thread and so many fed up and deciding not to attend, e.g. Lawson being absent due to doubling up, other riders injured and not allowed to sign replacements, first leg of KO Cup in.... October!! , etc.

Due to doubling up, injured riders but not allowed to sign replacements, other rules relating to who has priority of which rider and/or which competitions have priority but then its not stuck to, rules being changed on the hoof, riders that should be available are not due to ad hoc changes to the rule book, it culminates in.....

A first round KO Cup tie in October whereby Glasgow will have only two of their riders, four guests, and r/r.

The thread noted above summarises so much that is wrong with the sport and the paying public is just fed up. That kind of tie doesn't interest me and I won't attend, and as has been noted on that thread there is a distinct lack off interest and even the Glasgow Tigers Supporters bus has had to be cancelled due to lack of interest, whereas if they had held this tie in say May then there would have been plenty interest and coach loads would have attended.

The people running the sport need to have a long hard look at themselves. I won't be attending either due to the same apathy which has crept in among so many on that thread and who can blame them.

BSPA sort yourselves out.

• Like 1

If the championship has to run on Mondays and Thursdays does that mean home meetings once every two weeks ? if so clubs will close and another nail in speedways coffin sad times .

Nothing - everything is perfect and the sport is run by a great governing body who do everything in The best interest of the sport

Is there a viable alternative to amalgamation?

With Sheffield, Ipswich and Glasgow interested in going up

...and doubts about Edinburgh, Peterborough, Scunthorpe, Newcastle and Workington for various reasons..

that leaves Berwick and Redcar in the second tier!

Buster Chapman would be a start.