British Speedway Forum

Just look at the attendances of this years Pairs events. They were dismal, lacks in enthusiasm and credibility all round.

World Games in Wroclaw was sold out ;)

Unfortunately that must be true.

But it is no laughing matter.

is it ?

What a dreadful bunch of administrators we are plagued with.

Nationally and internationally.

It really does sap one's enthusiasm so much.

They can only administrate what they are given to administrate. :neutral:

World Games in Wroclaw was sold out ;)

Cheap tickets on a grand re-opnening night dont count! :nono::lol:

There is some bizarre logic going on here to try and make sense of this decision.

Apparently, no one would want to run the SWC in the UK whilst Rosco and Woffinden don't see eye to eye.

But, in the same breath, the mouth watering prosepect of this crappy Pairs is that Woffinden would be riding.

How come with Rosco just being reappointed GB manager ?

Those trying to look on the bright side are living in hope that the SWC will be back on aternate years.

Just grasping at any straw that we can put up with a pigs ear for the other alternate years providing we still can look forward to the better one next year.

That is the best way this decision can be 'swallowed', really?

It has been well established that often early rounds of the SWC are not well attended but the Final tends to sell out.

Instead of rejigging the formula or coming up with workarounds to solve that conundrum we throw the baby out with the bath water.

And PR tells us that there will not just be a crappy Pairs Final but there will be more meetings than that.

Why does anyone think those other rounds will be any more 'money spinners' than in the SWC.

Is it not just as likely that they will be financial millstones to the organisers just the same

But 'hey ho' it's all going fine because the memory of Barry Briggs and his 13 points at Rybnik 46 years ago lives so strong in all our minds.

Mind you, 1971 was a year more remembered for the crushing victory by the Poles.

A repeat of which would, at least, restore a littlle justice in the circumstances.

Edited by Grand Central
  • Like 1

The fact is that no country other than Poland is showing any real interest in staging a SWC race-off and final.

Then stop charging so much money to stage the rounds.

• Like 2

So the best week of speedway in the calender is to be replaced with a format nobody likes because it costs too much to stage!!!

Have I got that right?

I checked the papers and FMN's were asked to enlist for the Speedway World Cup for 2018.

I can only see one reason that SWC is scrapped and you lot are arguing, and that is that not enogh countries want to ride in SWC. So they are forgetting that one and hoping that smaller teams will results in more teams/countries.

What a terrible decision, I think the near universal disapproval of it on here says it all, but the blinkered will only see what they choose to see.

• Like 1

I can only see one reason that SWC is scrapped and you lot are arguing, and that is that not enogh countries want to ride in SWC.

It's cause-and-effect though. If it were worth their while to ride in the SWC, I'm sure they could manage to rustle up 4 riders.

And lest we not forget that the best 'pairs' is actually 3 riders, so only one rider more.

So they are forgetting that one and hoping that smaller teams will results in more teams/countries.

There are effectively only 9 countries who play test cricket, but that doesn't mean that the top echelon in that sport reverts to playing single wicket cricket. In fact, that only a few nations are good enough to complete actually adds prestige to that format of the sport.

This years SWC was a great weekend in Manchester.

whereas i had a great weekend in Kings Lynn

SWC week is always one of the highlights of the year so disappointing to see it go, not a fan of pairs meetings especially when they are actually teams of 3 riders

• Like 1

Actually having read what Castagna says and the other stuff about it in The Star today.
It doesn't even look as if it is going to be ANYTHING like a World Pairs Championship of any type either.
That is a total red herring.
They have plans for something much worse.

This 'Speedway of Nations' sounds like a right 'Horlicks' of a competition.
The sort that is dreamed up by a committee with the remit of trying to please the all the lowly, pointless federations at the expense of the core Speedway world.

In the end we have to suffer a 'push-me-pull-you' abortion that should have been binned at conception.
Pleasing absolutely no one.
And having to be dumped as quietly as possible at the next Annual Junket..

A bit like Promotion and Relegation in British Speedway.

These folk are just not fit for purpose.

Edited by Grand Central

THE proof of the pudding will be fun the eating. We shall see.

Yup.

And Speedway has forced me to eat some pretty dodgy 'puddings' in my time.

Bags first dibs on the Alka Seltzer.

• Like 1

THE proof of the pudding will be fun the eating. We shall see.

Des(s)ert would be a more appropriate word. Edited by Hodgy

There is some bizarre logic going on here to try and make sense of this decision.

It has been well established that often early rounds of the SWC are not well attended but the Final tends to sell out.

Instead of rejigging the formula or coming up with workarounds to solve that conundrum we throw the baby out with the bath water.

And PR tells us that there will not just be a crappy Pairs Final but there will be more meetings than that.

Why does anyone think those other rounds will be any more 'money spinners' than in the SWC.

Is it not just as likely that they will be financial millstones to the organisers just the same

No doubt Denmark or Sweden or maybe even Germany might want to host some sort of quali round where their team is more than likely going to get through if half the teams do and they are up against Finland,Italy,Hungary,who will obviously be far more competitive than they would be in the SWC :rofl: Trouble is when you get a quali in Russia and half the teams don't turn up and so you have Russia 1,Russia 2 and Russia 3 alongside some made up Crovakia team and some Argentinian geezer alongside Greg to make an Americas team.After a few years surely Finland and Hungary will get fed up not qualifying and travelling long distances for the honour,just like they have with the SWC......

And to add to it,we the fans will have been well and truly p'd off by it all :nono:

• Like 2