British Speedway Forum
waytogo28

2017 Profit & Loss

Len Silvers book describes the hand to mouth existence they had even in the seventies. For a lot of promoters it was like being a one man band. Lens book for example describes how he woukd travel up to Sunderland on race day with George Barclay ( then the Sunderland captain ) open up the Stadium, get the tractor out and prepare the track himself, run the meeting, collect the takings, do the accounts and the following weeks programme notes in the car coming back home while George Baclay drove, then at the half way point swap seats and George would write his captains programme notes while Len drove and th whole operation was basically done in one long day.

In later years when Len returned to the sport after a break he put in a tremendous amount of work to get his Sliver Ski business going which proved to be very profitable but most of the profits went into buying and running Rye House. Len Sliver the man is a very single minded and difficult man to get on with but Len Silver the promoter has ploughed a fortune into the sport for very little return and could probably have been a multi millionaire with his involvement in Speedwáy . All that is of course light years away from Swindon who seem to have wasted money on expensive riders that couldn't afford for years, and have a terrible reputation for not paying riders or keeping them waiting a long time for their money.

In the past I'd agree, there have been problems and not just at Swindon where a certain individual was involved.

Since 2014 I'd suggest Swindon's reputation has been one of the best.....riders clearly want to return to the Club which speaks volumes.

I used to enjoy the days of Screensport with its 'Match of the Week' with the meeting shown in full but with the gaps in between races edited out.

Screensport was good for its time, but that way is too out of date now I think. People want live sport.

It was Sky that got me back. I remember watching and seeing riders with these weird long names that I'd never heard of. Magnus Zetterstrom. Emmerson Fairweather. Adam Skornicki. I couldn't believe how speedway riders' names had changed so much!! :)

• Like 1

Screensport was good for its time, but that way is too out of date now I think. People want live sport.

It was Sky that got me back. I remember watching and seeing riders with these weird long names that I'd never heard of. Magnus Zetterstrom. Emmerson Fairweather. Adam Skornicki. I couldn't believe how speedway riders' names had changed so much!! :)

..that's fair enough however I can't comment on sport in general as it has no appeal to me now.

...I remember saying at the time that it wouldn't necessarily bring more people thru' the turnstiles but was constantly shouted down.

A friend of mine who lived closed to Cowley Stadium wouldn't bother attending the meeting live when broadcast from Oxford preferring to watch it from the comfort of his home.

Used correctly tv coverage would bring more fans in, however it wasn't and if anything has been damaging (other than the money)

Used correctly tv coverage would bring more fans in, however it wasn't and if anything has been damaging (other than the money)

I would agree but I use to question the fact that it used to be transmitted live with all the gaps and over analysis (something that puts me off watching sport on TV)

Far better showing a slicker edited version in my opinion.

• Like 1

One of my bugbears; 'we're on TV so promote the heck out of it' - no. So flippin' what it's on TV, meets should be promoted each & every week anyway. Many promoters aren't (promoters), CEOs, GMs & MDs, sure, but promoters, not many. 'Tell them and they will come', maybe (and maybe not) but it if they don't know about it they sure as heck won't tyurn up to at least check it out. I'm no promoter but I have yet to take, not drag kicking & screaming, a single person to speedway who has said 'utter rubbish, don't even mention it to me again'. All did return and some even still attend off their own bat, as it were, and others finally caved in to my (at one time) constant speedway chatter and went without any cajoling and also enjoyed it.

Also, if promoters have a 'tenner or whatever' entry to generate a crowd, then great but does anyone know of any newcomers who attended a 'tenner or whatever' meet then were peeved when the next time they attended it was, say £17? Just a thought.....

Edited by Martin Mauger

Building that shiny new stadium most of hit swindon finances....

Did Mr Russell invest all his commission in that shiny new stadium?

I would agree but I use to question the fact that it used to be transmitted live with all the gaps and over analysis (something that puts me off watching sport on TV)

Far better showing a slicker edited version in my opinion.

Yes of course. Far better to attract 1/10th of the audience.

Just because you might not like watching 'live sport', it doesn't mean that is the norm.

This is the issue with some on this forum, they base their opinions on what is best purely on their personal preference and nothing else. What evidence do you have that it would be 'far better' to show an 'edited' version? You do realise that the demand is for live sport more than ever these days? Don't you think if it was 'far better' to show edited, after the event, versions that TV companies/stations would be doing that? It would be much cheaper for them. The simple answer is, they don't do it because it isn't far better at all.. quite the opposite.

Edited by BWitcher

Just because you might not like watching 'live sport', it doesn't mean that is the norm.

This is the issue with some on this forum, they base their opinions on what is best purely on their personal preference and nothing else. What evidence do you have that it would be 'far better' to show an 'edited' version? You do realise that the demand is for live sport more than ever these days? Don't you think if it was 'far better' to show edited, after the event, versions that TV companies/stations would be doing that? It would be much cheaper for them. The simple answer is, they don't do it because it isn't far better at all.. quite the opposite

As a matter of interest where do you get the 1/10th of the audience figure from?

As a matter of interest where do you get the 1/10th of the audience figure from?

Pulled it from thin air, perhaps?

This is the issue with some on this forum, they base their opinions on what is best purely on their personal preference and nothing else. What evidence do you have that it would be 'far better' to show an 'edited' version? You do realise that the demand is for live sport more than ever these days? Don't you think if it was 'far better' to show edited, after the event, versions that TV companies/stations would be doing that? It would be much cheaper for them. The simple answer is, they don't do it because it isn't far better at all.. quite the opposite.

Thought it was... because there are more channels to fill and round-the-clock coverage. Simple really....

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 1

Pulled it from thin air, perhaps?

Thought it was... because there are more channels to fill and round-the-clock coverage. Simple really....

..bit like the throwaway comment on another thread recently that 'numerous'' riders during the seventies were able to gain team places within weeks of first siting on a bike.

I'm still awaiting some examples to substantiate that claim?

Edited by steve roberts

..bit like the throwaway comment on another thread recently that 'numerous'' riders during the seventies were able to gain team places within weeks of first siting on a bike.

:t:

Interesting comments re marketing of the Sport (or lack of)....

Each week next season three heat leaders from each team in the Prem will take around £4k to £5k per night in salaries..

8 teams with 24 heat leaders means circa £40k in salaries paid out for one match each per week..

Three heat leaders who hardly anyone in the local conurbation would know even if all three rode naked down their street...

Imagine if clubs collectively used some of that £40k a week to involve a successful national marketing company to drive people into the Stadiums up and down the country?

Jason Doyle may not be there when people attracted by the marketing attend as maybe he is too expensive, but then again most attending won't know who Jason Doyle is anyway....

Big Names coming back will increase crowds? No chance...

Swindon had THE WORLD CHAMP and still crowds were not great..

I might go once to the NSS to see Woffy as a novelty value but wouldn't bother the next time he came for the 'B' fixture, or indeed if he came again in the KO Cup, or even one of his probable Guest appearances, with the reason being I get to see him ride several times a year via t'internet, Premier and BT etc..

Lowering admission (as we see when tracks do it) is the only way to increase crowds significantly, the question then is how to keep them coming back...

Bringing Big Names back can only increase admission costs, which as we know from year on year inflation busting increases doesn't increase crowds but has quite the opposite effect..

Edited by mikebv

I do wonder if you are living on the same planet at times.

Top ten programmes week ending 19th November on Sky Sports 1:

1: LIVE Arsneal v Spurs 805

2: LIVE Watford v West Ham 698

3: LIVE: England v Australia (Rugby) 574

4: LIVE Italy v Sweden 393

5: LIVE: Leeds v Middlesbrough 272

6: LIVE Republic of Ireland v Denmark 245

7: LIVE: Arsenal v Spurs Pre Match 154

8: LIVE: Grand Slam of Darts 143

9: LIVE Ireland v Fiji (Rugby) 129

10: LIVE Grand Slam of Darts 123

See a pattern?

Top Ten on Sky Sports 3.. All Live events

The highest 'Highlights' programme that can be found is European Tour Highlights with a viewing figure of 59.

Still, you know better... next time the rights are up for renewal, let Sky, BT etc know so they can have a bidding war for the 'Highlights' package.