British Speedway Forum
Mark

World Championship Pairs

1 minute ago, PHILIPRISING said:

BECAUSE I don't believe he got his tactics wrong. If Lambert had actually got into third then I have no doubt Tai would have held back. But Robert didn't and was never likely to even if by some magic Tai could have kept a rider of Emil's ability at bay while also shepherding Lambert alongside him. 

The opportunity though was there,especially on lap 2 i think bends 1 and 2.

• Like 1

BECAUSE I don't believe he got his tactics wrong. If Lambert had actually got into third then I have no doubt Tai would have held back. 

But surely as he did in an earlier race, had he held back and tried to clamp Emil down to give Robert a better chance.  You've watched a lot of speedway, I am surprised you cant see that.

Of course, easy for us armchair fans to make such observations, but if the same format is in place next year we need to learn from this.

BECAUSE I don't believe he got his tactics wrong. If Lambert had actually got into third then I have no doubt Tai would have held back. But Robert didn't and was never likely to even if by some magic Tai could have kept a rider of Emil's ability at bay while also shepherding Lambert alongside him. 

Oh come off it Phil, you've been watching this game for a long time.  Surely you're on the wind up.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, HenryW said:

Why Tai? Why?

16 minutes ago, 40-38 said:

Why did Wofinden go for the front?!

14 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

Balls. 

Not really sure why Tai did that in the final. Surely he must have known?

Lambert wasn't firing tonight, we all saw it. It was clear that the Russians were going all out. IMO Tai did exactly what he should have done. Don't blame Tai.

10 minutes ago, RobMcCaffery said:

That was the heart of my argument against this wretched format, Lead for most of 42 heats then lose to the team finishing second and third in the final. Pearson's just said "That's the nature of the sport".

Yes brave, entertaining racers working for idiots. 

Monday morning in a national daily sports desk. "Hey, I see the Brit won the final of the Speedway of Nations, whatever that means". "Sorry, we didn't win. Second and third take all"

"What kind of joke sport is that."

Thanks to the guys for taking it the last race, which should have been Heat 42 ;-)

On the other hand two wonderful speedway riders won a first World Championship for their country. That does rather soften the blow. 

Yes some great racing, despite the format not because of it. SWC next year please! Bet the Poles aren't interested in this dog's breakfast now. 

What are you doing here gobbing off "Mr, I know it all" :D  You've stropped off like a sulky little brat so many times, promising you wouldn't be back. If only! :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Grand Central said:

Oh dear

Not much to work with here, if that is your defeatist thinking

REALISTIC not defeatist

Tai did nothing wrong Gb store the most points over two days but end up finishing second try explaining that to someone in the pub watching for the 1st time  it's the bloody idiot s who make the stupid rules up  but that's speedway run by baboons 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

CANNOT believe people are criticising Tai after that performance

Obviously you have a problem understanding not only my,but others posts as well,which is incredible for a long time journalist!!It is legitimate to question his tactic after all the brilliant work he has done over the past two meetings

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

DOUBT it. Emil was always going to pass Lambert 

It was aPairs Comp though.Surely he should have tried something.Lambert was all over Emil so a little help wouldn't have gone wrong.Crap format though.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Noodles said:

Oh come off it Phil, you've been watching this game for a long time.  Surely you're on the wind up.

IT'S all about opinions ... that's mine. I don't believe Lambert was going to beat Sayfutdinov with or without Tai's help. And that is no criticism of Robert.

Edited by PHILIPRISING
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

This Tai criticism is bloody ridiculous. 38 points out of 39 with team riding all week.

It wouldnt be easy slowing Emil down to let Lambert through, it was a gamble either way.

• Like 3

Close but just a small cigar.

Not sure what to make of the semi final, Kelvin described it as an anti-climax and it was.

Experience won out in the end and congratulations to Russia. Nice words from Emil Sayfutdinov and also Craig Cook. Can’t have been easy standing there with an interviewer who didn’t appear to empathise with their disappointment.

As for the format going forward, I’m sure the event is here to stay, but must be marketed as the World Championship to capture the imagination. ‘Speedway of Nations’ is meaningless. Yes there were empty seats in Wroclaw but they’ve got a lot more seats than Belle Vue to fill in the first place. Don’t like the race-off winner takes all, aggregate points like the GPs would be sufficient for me.

2 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

DO you seriously believe that? Tai selfish? Please ...

Yes I do ..why on earth would do wheelies after your team just got beat ..unless you were doing it as you won the heat for yourself  ..it was pretty clear ..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PHILIPRISING said:

CAN a ny one deny that two riders from the same country in a race takes the biscuit. No matter what the competition is called, this is a team event in every sense

Yes the Daily Mirror World Speedway League in 1973 was a corker...;)

1 minute ago, orion said:

Yes I do ..why on earth would do wheelies after your team just got beat ..unless you were doing it as you won the heat for yourself  ..it was pretty clear ..

BECAUSE GB had got silver, he had scored 38 points and it's his home track. Plenty to celebrate there.

REALISTIC not defeatist

Not at all.

You're just not thinking clearly I'm afraid.

Setting out to do EVERYTHING to 'get' Emil last was the ONLY way to win.

Winning The race was NEVER going to win the meeting.

Throwing the kitchen sink at Emil would have given them a chance.

• Like 8