British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Paulco

British Final 11th June 2018 at Belle Vue

3 minutes ago, Mark said:

No way.   Its a minority sport.

only because of the muppets that run it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hyderd said:

only because of the muppets that run it.

cant argue with that comment. 

4 hours ago, Aces51 said:

Dan's first competitive race was at the start of 2016, he was injured, I think in July of that year, which ended his season, had a full season last year and obviously has ridden this season. If you add it up he has about 2 years experience of competitive racing.

I remember Newcastle’s first meeting of 2016 and Bewley was Workingtons number 8 and he had 1 ride and scored a point when Steve Worrall ret. He wasn’t far off the pace then and I said to mates he looks a great prospect even though he only looked about 10 years old. He then had a bad crash at Newcastle on 28th August when riding for Edinburgh and never rode again that season 

1 hour ago, iris123 said:

I think Olle Nygren was Swedish Champion the year after he started.Bjorn Knutson was also in the world top 20 3 years after he started and Ronnie Moore also had a rapid rise

You could also add Franz Heck,who became German champion a year after he won the national road bike title at the Nurburgring,just a few months after taking up the sport.But that was back in 1929 when no-one else in Germany had ridden either:D

I agree with you about Ronnie More. I should have remembered his rise to fame at such a young age. He was an exceptional rider who seemed to reach a very good standard within a couple of years and was a brilliant exponent of the art of team riding. Again I'm not sure when he first started riding a speedway bike but he was only 16 or 17 when he came to the UK. I'm less sure about Nygren because I don't know the standard of riders in Sweden in 1949 but his rise was rapid when he came to the UK.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Aces51 said:

I agree with you about Ronnie More. I should have remembered his rise to fame at such a young age. He was an exceptional rider who seemed to reach a very good standard within a couple of years and was a brilliant exponent of the art of team riding. Again I'm not sure when he first started riding a speedway bike but he was only 16 or 17 when he came to the UK. I'm less sure about Nygren because I don't know the standard of riders in Sweden in 1949 but his rise was rapid when he came to the UK.

I think Ronnie came over just about a year after starting speedway.Such was his talent.And yes,it was a bit of a trick answer,because I think Olle started out when speedway was just starting in Sweden after WW2,so most if not all were beginners:D

Edited by iris123

39 minutes ago, wealdstone said:

Hopefully this meeting signifies the start e new era in British Speedway at last we have a few who look like they could reach the top.  Lambert  was superb and Bewley pretty impressive. Had not likes Lambert up till this juncture but possibly  a lot of previous perceptions of him were more down to his mother.

I've met his mum and she is the nicest person you could wish to meet. I think Robert has noticeably matured the last couple of seasons and its probably no surprise that a sportsman 18 years old or younger won't always make the right decisions. Could well be that his parents who no doubt only want the best for him have learned things and how to take a step back along the way.

People (fans) in speedway tend to hold grudges for far too long unfortunately, doesn't do anybody any good at the end of the day.

Edited by Bagpuss
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

I've met his mum and she is the nicest person you could wish to meet. I think Robert has noticeably matured the last couple of seasons and its probably no surprise that a sportsman 18 years old or younger won't always make the right decisions. Could well be that his parents who no doubt only want the best for him have learned things and how to take a step back along the way.

People (fans) in speedway tend to hold grudges for far too long unfortunately, doesn't do anybody any good at the end of the day.

I’d say the same.First met them all when Robert came over as a 14 or 15 year old and they were driving to Germany for the weekend and staying in a camping van.That is dedication for you!

For sure it is a learning curve for all of them.But it is the same for most young riders and families.For years they are the team,but as the rider grows up and starts traveling to the European leagues they get their own team around them and the parents have to learn to give them their freedom.Seeing the photos, Robert does look to have lost his puppy fat and looks very lean.Good luck to him.All that traveling and sleeping on the road has payed off

2 hours ago, montie said:

i wonder if a GP is viable with that capacity

About the same as Prague, so yes. 

We could use Showcase car park which is huge. I think DG didn’t see eye to eye with them for the SWC so moved the bulk of the parking to City’s ground. 

When you think of England’s contribution to speedway it’s odd we don’t have a GP. 

1 hour ago, Hodgy said:

1 heat was rerun when Smith Ex.  Very refreshing to have no starting reruns. 

What about the one where D King ended up under the fence?

One thing I noticed about Lambert is that he used to look a bit weighty for a rider but now he looks lean..he looks very fast and stylish and his build now is perfect...he has every chance of being a big star

40 minutes ago, Trotter65 said:

One thing I noticed about Lambert is that he used to look a bit weighty for a rider but now he looks lean..he looks very fast and stylish and his build now is perfect...he has every chance of being a big star

Your right, he did look different.  Hes grown up a year, and the body was still developing, but also I would think with the new GB partners, fitness and healthy eating have added to his physique. The fitter you are, the less tired you will be, therefore more alert.... and we all know a speedway rider has to be very alert. That's my take on events.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Grachan said:

I set up to record on You View, but when I put the tv on at 8 it wasn't recording and I watched live from heat 5 onwards.

I happened to be going through my planner and noticed it had vanished, luckily had time to set up again, will pop onto a dvd to watch again, was a quality night of racing.

There did not see to be any real problem during WTC and that was capacity crowd. I was there and it seemed to have parking facilities in place at various places.As for capacity they could price Tickets accordingly if they think they can sell out.Weather would be my only concern,but nobody can predict that.

6 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

There did not see to be any real problem during WTC and that was capacity crowd. I was there and it seemed to have parking facilities in place at various places.As for capacity they could price Tickets accordingly if they think they can sell out.Weather would be my only concern,but nobody can predict that.

If that field in Germany can host a GP , then a second GP in Britain at the NSS should be possible 

• Like 1