British Speedway Forum
gregory peck

Worky v scunny koc leg 2

4 hours ago, HerniaWise said:

Grow up

He might have overstated it a bit but this :

'Well done Workington, I think you have a lot of neutrals on your side around the country given the way you try to go about your business and have been treated this year...

...............….is almost certainly bang on.

There will be quite a few outside Lincolnshire who will display a degree of schadenfreude at that result. 

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, June said:

I actually had my prog filled in 5.1 to Scunthorpe. Was stood close to first bend....I'm waiting to see it on DVD not that it would make any difference to the score. But  I think Jason was robbed  of his 2+1 pts in that race. I can Imagine Jason being v ery upset about this. 

We were in the main grandstand just beyond the finishing line and we felt that Rasser had just nicked it.

NB Is Jason always so pumped up - he reminded me of Joe Hart at the last Euros.

Congratulations to Workington staff, riders & fans & well deserved on the night. As I have posted, previously, it is your strength in depth that has pulled you through & riders that did not turn up on Sunday did so tonight winning races with not many lasts for others.

This was my first visit & knew the stadium was used for Rugby & Football so the track is based on long narrow straights leading to 2 banked ends. This lead to a gate and go bore fest & before posters have a go, this is not my cup of tea. In previous years, I used to go to Kings Lynn & Sheffield as a neutral, as I read it was good but then stopped going as the racing became poor with gate & go more evident. This last year, both tracks have improved & I have visited again. I have, also, been to the NSS & while others have posted it is the best track in the country, it was bound to be as purpose built with millions thrown at it but it is also boring for the 1st 5 or 6 races until the dirt moves out, as is the case with most tracks.

As I have read a great night had by the Comets & well deserved with the excitement of the score line getting closer & noise levels increasing, more so where we were in the back straight. This was similar to how it was in the Semi at Peterborough but we quietened them down when we found our set ups & gating shoes. Peterborough's track was devout of shale & ours was on Sunday & Workington last night so why does it take so long to get a set up to work. Do the riders not write things down or do they try & remember everything. I know in my lifetime, I took notes. The first 30 metres & 2 bends decided most races as it seemed as if it was a 1 line entry to the corners & with the Comets gating better than us, overtaking was at a premium as the Comet riders put their bikes in the right places when we got close.

After have some fun with some posters on here, I finally got to meet some of them putting faces to names, even the 3 witches, sorry, ladies, seem harmless. Introduced to THJ & a few other posters & non-posters that now know of me. Spooky.

Good luck in your remaining meetings as others could say we could have been rusty at having almost a month of not racing, yet your guys have had a lot of meetings, are race sharp with equipment still going strong. Much respect. 

• Like 5
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Taylorj said:

WOW !!!! What an amazing night to be a Comets Supporter, it has to be the best night I have had in my 10years going to Speedway :) The lads wanted it so much and from the get go gave 110% to get us the win. The 18 points wiped out by heat 8 , I knew we had what it takes to get the win . To see Laura, Jacko and Steve's faces after heat 14 was truly amazing, finally something for them smile about after everything they have done for Workington Speedway .

Commiserations to Scunthorpe your guys put up a good fight and were really gracious in defeat  :t: , we were just too strong on the night

Unbelievable result !! but its time to start believing as we now enter another 2 finals , you can do this boys I know you can and we right behind you starting tomorrow with that long trip to Rye House

#believe #mightycomets

Is that because you met me!  :lol: :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Carlislecomet2 said:

NB Is Jason always so pumped up - he reminded me of Joe Hart at the last Euros.

Sometimes it seems that Jason tries a little too hard & over does it. At the start of the season when our riders were covering for the loss of Stevie, he seemed at ease on the bike. Later on in the season & not just me, he became more aggressive on the bike, throwing it into the corners trying to score extra points where others were struggling. It was even said in an after meeting chat to concentrate on what he was doing at the start of the season as he cannot control what others are not doing.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, IronScorpion said:

This was my first visit & knew the stadium was used for Rugby & Football so the track is based on long narrow straights leading to 2 banked ends. This lead to a gate and go

And there, in bold,  you describe the very reason that Speedway remains  such a minority sport.................the Rugby fans at DP (no soccer there as yet)are always winding me up as to why I also watch speedway- invariably/consistently/boringly/asking me "did the rider who got to the first bend in the lead win many races?".......it's ok from outsiders who will never likely be converted......but it's sad when a proper speedway fan also finds it boring.....I think gating is a refined skill and not to be knocked.

• Like 1

Guest WTF1
1 hour ago, IronScorpion said:

Have you ever been to Derwent Park as it is a different kettle of fish to ride compared to the EWR!

Loads of times,  unless they have changed it since my last visit you still have to turn left

10 minutes ago, IronScorpion said:

Sometimes it seems that Jason tries a little too hard & over does it. At the start of the season when our riders were covering for the loss of Stevie, he seemed at ease on the bike. Later on in the season & not just me, he became more aggressive on the bike, throwing it into the corners trying to score extra points where others were struggling. It was even said in an after meeting chat to concentrate on what he was doing at the start of the season as he cannot control what others are not doing.

I like Jason he's as nutty as a fruit cake of course unless he has a nut allergy then I am sorry he's as mad as a box of Frogs unless he's French then I apologise again don't want to be accused of making assumptions off grumpy Crumpy .... committed is a word that fits Jason and he is a good laugh you just had to see the van he arrived in last night to know that. Oh and what was it you said last night IS about long posts.... see you have caught the bug... 

On the track even Tommy Gun came in the bar afterwords and asked where all the shale was and he was told.in no uncertain terms that the track was set up for.Worky riders not him.

I hope Tommy got back to Wolvehampton ok last night as when leaving the bar there was only his van left in the car park as he had blown his cylinder head gasket and was waiting for a recovery vehicle...

Thoroughly enjoyed last night and what a gesture by the promotion to ask Keith Denham to hand out the medals and the Cup and he was made up... another proud Cumbrian on the night...  and rightly so.

Scunny played there part and  it was great to see their fans in attendance  and I do hope Jason is ok and it's nothing serious injury wise

Oh and good luck to my not so old pal Steve Worrall on his impending wedding it was a pleasure sponsoring him this season... just a pity about the early sesson injury as things could have been a lot different...

Regards

THJ 

• Like 1

Congratulations to all at Workington Speedway, fair to say they have had their tough times but this season could be their best every, KOC winners, with possible play off and Shield winners in the next few days.

• Like 3

It’s very nice to hear all the good wishes from other fans and not the negative comments ( although some of them are true!)

I too thought rasser got third and not second in that close heat and wrote 1-5 in the programme :unsure:, some really forceful but fair riding by the Comets last night , well done one and all, commiserations to Scunthorpe  who although tried hard were well beaten.

Hope Jason Garrity is ok, I doubt even if he was fit to continue it would have made any difference .

Thanks again.

2 hours ago, singy13 said:

And there, in bold,  you describe the very reason that Speedway remains  such a minority sport.................the Rugby fans at DP (no soccer there as yet)are always winding me up as to why I also watch speedway- invariably/consistently/boringly/asking me "did the rider who got to the first bend in the lead win many races?".......it's ok from outsiders who will never likely be converted......but it's sad when a proper speedway fan also finds it boring.....I think gating is a refined skill and not to be knocked.

It is a skill where some riders are better than others. Anticipation comes in to it as well but Speedway is a race over 4 laps & not about the 1st 30 metres. Gate stats amuse me as if a track is fair enough a rider from gate 3 gates last but is quick & tactful enough to ride multi line tracks & win it is a plus for gate 3. HE GATED LAST!

12 minutes ago, IronScorpion said:

It is a skill where some riders are better than others. Anticipation comes in to it as well but Speedway is a race over 4 laps & not about the 1st 30 metres. Gate stats amuse me as if a track is fair enough a rider from gate 3 gates last but is quick & tactful enough to ride multi line tracks & win it is a plus for gate 3. HE GATED LAST!

The thing is those who dislike the sport don't see it as a four lap race..........first away always wins is their view.....oh and... they only go round in circles is another wind up...

50 minutes ago, topaz325 said:

It’s very nice to hear all the good wishes from other fans and not the negative comments ( although some of them are true!)

I too thought rasser got third and not second in that close heat and wrote 1-5 in the programme :unsure:, some really forceful but fair riding by the Comets last night , well done one and all, commiserations to Scunthorpe  who although tried hard were well beaten.

Hope Jason Garrity is ok, I doubt even if he was fit to continue it would have made any difference .

Thanks again.

We sit very near the start line, we turned and both nodded at the same time that Rasmus had got it. Only by half a wheel though. Looking forward to the DVD

As long as it is anti clockwise  :t:

2 minutes ago, singy13 said:

The thing is those who dislike the sport don't see it as a four lap race..........first away always wins is their view.....oh and... they only go round in circles is another wind up...

....and if the first does win there can still be good races behind them for the points.

• Like 2