British Speedway Forum

I think it could be blocked Hawk although perhaps through the SCB rather than the BSPA

They are the legally appointed body to licence all tracks in Britain

Any non British licence position would have no basis here

3 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

I think it could be blocked Hawk although perhaps through the SCB rather than the BSPA

They are the legally appointed body to licence all tracks in Britain

Any non British licence position would have no basis here

Absolutely correct, the ACU is the legally constituted body to control and regulate all off road motorcycle sport in the UK that way competitors, motorcycle clubs and event organisers are protected by the Off Road Motor Sport Legislation. The ACU are allowed to delegate some of that responsibility by contractual agreement, constitution and by establishing a compliant regulatory body hence the SCB.

6 minutes ago, Byker Biker said:

Absolutely correct, the ACU is the legally constituted body to control and regulate all off road motorcycle sport in the UK that way competitors, motorcycle clubs and event organisers are protected by the Off Road Motor Sport Legislation. The ACU are allowed to delegate some of that responsibility by contractual agreement, constitution and by establishing a compliant regulatory body hence the SCB.

Didn't Exeter speedway run a meeting using grasstrack riders every year. I seem to remember it being called speedtrack, to avoid the problems with the BSPA who hold the rights to speedway as a name for motorcycle racing

17 minutes ago, Hawk127 said:

I am sure you are right but.

What could the BSPA do if for example an overseas club (German, Dutch, French etc.) decided to rent a track in the U.K. and put racing on using licensed riders from their own country? Racing under their own country rules and not using riders attached to U.K. clubs I cannot see that it would be anything to do with the BSPA. A bit like American football renting Wembley albeit not as grand.

If a track owner wants to rent the stadia out to the highest bidder and that bidder is an overseas club which can arrange all the necessary insurances, medical cover etc. who could stop it happening?

It is just a thought and I have not drilled down to the cost etc. but would it be a restriction of trade if the BSPA tried to block it?

The very basic rule/starting point of any racing as in a competiteve meeting from a political view is that the meeting is run with a starting permit from the country/federation where its at. This makes sure that everything is good to go insurance wise and some rules are followed.

So if Bspa says (under authorization from ACU) you’re out you’re out. And it’s how the system works.

3 minutes ago, MARK246 said:

Didn't Exeter speedway run a meeting using grasstrack riders every year. I seem to remember it being called speedtrack, to avoid the problems with the BSPA who hold the rights to speedway as a name for motorcycle racing

Correct as did Sheffield but they were still under the auspices of the ACU with SCB approval

• Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, MARK246 said:

I remember an annual Grass Track that called the racing Speedway!   

1 hour ago, Byker Biker said:

Surely, the ACU could be approached for them to consider another sub-regulator, with all the usual safety aspects and insurance in place, but call the sport by another name and perhaps alter the traditional speedway set-up. E.G. race over 6 laps, 350 cc engines or 600 cc engines. Handicap races. Just a thought! As for a name, how about MotoRaceway?

Edited by Ray Stadia
  • Like 1

BMR are affiliated to the MC Federation (MCF) who licence their flat track series and many off road events as an alternative to the ACU. They were going to be the authorising body for the 'breakaway' individual series to be run by ?the Courtneys? a few years back but the SCB/BSPA managed to get that blocked. Maybe time for another try at shaking things up?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ray Stadia said:

I remember an annual Grass Track that called the racing Speedway!   

That was the speedtrack championship at Lydden.

1 minute ago, cityrebel said:

That was the speedtrack championship at Lydden.

No, it was in Essex CR. Actually, it was described as 'Speedway on Grass'.

2 hours ago, f-s-p said:

The very basic rule/starting point of any racing as in a competiteve meeting from a political view is that the meeting is run with a starting permit from the country/federation where its at. This makes sure that everything is good to go insurance wise and some rules are followed.

So if Bspa says (under authorization from ACU) you’re out you’re out. And it’s how the system works.

I do remember back about a decade ago one Danish club ran a few meetings in Germany at Jübek.Long track.Faint memories that they had a few Dutch speedway championship meetings at Moorwinkelsdamm as well.

Thanks for the feedback.

It does really show why you would have to be start raving bonkers to invest in a track or a club where you are not allowed at the top table for a few years during which you are told when and how you run your business and any decisions made by those who are at best only considering their own self interest yet they can materially affect your bottom line and you have to accept it even if it makes no sense.They also want you to put up a bond in the knowledge that they can change the rules at anytime that can be detrimental to you and your business and you can do nowt about it and if you pull the plug you effectively get fined even though continuation could leave you with substantial losses.

You have a sport run by a few incompetent people and yet next step up in the chain of command is the ACU who are in effect condoning the behaviour of a collective body that is not fit to run the sport. 

Good luck to anyone mad enough to invest in speedway.

• Like 5

Hard to argue with any of that. It's equivalent to being in the freemasons. a top secret organization that makes up it's own rules. What chance does any new blood have.

32 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

Hard to argue with any of that. It's equivalent to being in the freemasons. a top secret organization that makes up it's own rules. What chance does any new blood have.

Hmmmm. Why would you let anybody in without a bond, and then yourselves be responsible for their inability to cough up. That sounds like a scam promoters winning card.

23 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Hmmmm. Why would you let anybody in without a bond, and then yourselves be responsible for their inability to cough up. That sounds like a scam promoters winning card.

Surely if you cough up the bond, that should entitle you to a seat at the table. A sport like speedway needs fresh ideas, not the same old voices.

• Like 2