British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

Transponders and qualifying times introduced in GP’s in 2019

25 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

AS I understand it the track will be graded after each flying lap... may be wrong but it would be unfair if that wasn't the case.

It can't be. 16 rider's at 60sec qualifying laps and a grade after each attempt would take hours.

Also to record the times in free practice then the track would need grading after each rider's been out in that.

The more you read the more ridiculous this new idea sounds.

It's ok saying other motorsports use qualifying but most of this is on tarmac tracks. Even then, most teams only record a time when they think the track will be at peak for the tyres etc.

I do fear that last season's GP was probably one of the best series for a while, now they're trying to spoil the racing so the fastest guy gets the best pick of the draw. Which for me would be gates 1 or 2 twice in a meeting.

It will kill the spectacle imo, will also favour Zmarzlik who showed in 2018 he was clearly the fastest, probably also the lightest guy in the field too.

23 hours ago, KEITH M said:

Hopefully speedway Grand Prix wont be going the same way 

They already did a long time ago - just with much smaller crowds, less money, and much less public interest. 

This is from the GP website 

" Each rider will get the option to take four practice runs in groups of three during a free practice session. The order in which riders take to the track will be predetermined by the FIM – not by the 2018 championship positions."

Presumably the meeting WC gets his chance along with the 15 permanent riders to choose his start position - in which case 16 does not divide by 3 !!

Edit wonder if that should have read 3 practice runs in groups of 4 ??

Edited by racers and royals

Surely this is a joke ! It just seems a quirky  change  just for changes  sake. How is this going to provide better / fairer racing when there is statistical data available  for most tracks as to what are the best and most importantly worst gates at each venue.  Is the open draw now not sexy enough, at least it was fair and over a season you took the rough with the smooth. An early tip for all the riders, after going to Krsko last year do not pick a start number which includes 2 outside gates.

24 minutes ago, iwright71 said:

Surely this is a joke ! It just seems a quirky  change  just for changes  sake. How is this going to provide better / fairer racing when there is statistical data available  for most tracks as to what are the best and most importantly worst gates at each venue.  Is the open draw now not sexy enough, at least it was fair and over a season you took the rough with the smooth. An early tip for all the riders, after going to Krsko last year do not pick a start number which includes 2 outside gates.

THE transponders are also to be used during the meeting and will determine any close finishes. It is the riders who were pressing for transponders. They are interested in times, etc. Will it make any difference to crowds and entertainment. No it won't but it will make practice sessions more interesting for those who are there.

5 hours ago, racers and royals said:

Presumably the meeting WC gets his chance along with the 15 permanent riders to choose his start position - in which case 16 does not divide by 3 !!

Don't forget the 2 reserves get to practice so it's 6 groups of 3 riders

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, atil said:

Don't forget the 2 reserves get to practice so it's 6 groups of 3 riders

Forgot that. Blimey practice is going to be a long affair now. It`s going to be nearly long enough for the riders required for  the Extraleague fixtures  to make it there. :D

Cant the transponders also be used for "jumpstarts" aswell? Ref puts on the green light and he then releases the tapes as per normal. A warning is passed on to the timekeeper if any movement is triggered before the tapes go up. Ref would then put on the red lights coming out of the 2nd bend and warn rider. If the start was legal and the rider just made a great start then the race would not be called back.

1 hour ago, iwright71 said:

Past stats are probably worthless.  They give the winning gate but there is no record of who was leading after the first bend.  That must be a better indictor of which gate was the best for starting.   Many riders come from behind to win a race - but this doesn't make there gate the best option.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 2ndbendbeerhut said:

Cant the transponders also be used for "jumpstarts" aswell? Ref puts on the green light and he then releases the tapes as per normal. A warning is passed on to the timekeeper if any movement is triggered before the tapes go up. Ref would then put on the red lights coming out of the 2nd bend and warn rider. If the start was legal and the rider just made a great start then the race would not be called back.

I would like this to be possible

My only doubt is that with the amount of power and tension at full revs no movement must be almost impossible

For what I know there needs to be a set of wires either under the track surface or above it (that would mean about 2,5 meters). Dont know if theres a ponder that can be detected from 2,5 meters going 110 kmh. In RC cars its under the track, two wires separated by about 20cm. So the ponder goes between the two and is detected by the system and thats a hit. A bit like RFID if you know that system.

so for the system to detect false starts the wires would need to cross the track at the white line and a bit after. In athletics I think they have sensors for movement in the start racks(?), F1 is probably based on gps but with speedway the riders would want to start downhill so the basic start position  on all gates changed as the meeting progresses...

Solution for a problem creating another problem?

Don't very often respond to things on here but this really seems like the old cliche to me....."If its not broke lets fix it".......this to me should be rated PG....Pure Garbage!

42 minutes ago, andout said:

Don't very often respond to things on here but this really seems like the old cliche to me....."If its not broke lets fix it".......this to me should be rated PG....Pure Garbage!

This is a step towards making riders wanting to ride the practise instead of an Ekstraliga meeting. Thats it. 

But if lets say six of 16 are away from practise and are under the lottery, what difference does it make? Bugger all. Add one 5 mins of rain between heats 3-4 and all that was gained is gone.

Politics.

• Like 2

Fair play for trying to come up with new ideas and transponders can only be a good thing in races. However of all motor sports Speedway is about being in front not necessarily about being fast so I don't think the qualifying is a good thing.

If experience in other motorcycle sports is anything to go by there will be some surprises as to who the fastest one lap guys are in comparison to those who have been winning races.