British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ouch

Belle Vue v Peterborough Monday 29th April 7.30pm

The Aces have 14 home fixtures this year and four of those are on BH Monday’s. If a fixture planner cannot arrange only 10 fixtures on a Friday that don’t clash with other events then they shouldn’t be doing the job. Fans would probably accept 2-3 clashes so it’s actually only 7-8 fixtures to arrange without a clash. 

The fixture planner this year managed to arrange clashes between the two Belle Vue teams not once but FIVE times, that takes some doing. 

A good win for the Aces in an entertaining meeting.

Bradley Wilson Dean and Charles Wright were somewhat subdued as they normally perform well at the NSS .

Dan was superb

4 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Certainly seems like the restrictions on using the race night of choice is hitting some harder than others? Although was last nights attendances affected additionally due to the repetitive nature of the visitors? There has to be an element of fixture planning sense applied at some point as its clearly affecting takings and 1200 weekly doesn't sound like a sustainable model for top flight speedway. 

At the NSS the fixture planning is part of it.

School holiday bank holiday meeting Monday on 22 April 12.00 start, which got a great crowd, with another school holiday bank holiday meeting on Monday 6 May 12.00 start no doubt again big crowd.

Squashed in between unfortunately was the Peterborough meeting on 29 April.

3 weeks on the run, people choosing the day time bank holiday fixtures over 29th April. For those that cant afford all 3 the 29th was the one most likely to suffer.

As for entertainment the racing at the NSS is awesome. If youve not been get yourself down there.

Edited by ValiantVue82
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Phil The Ace said:

It's a double edged sword weekend racing. It's what fans want, but at the same time the same fans dont want fixture clashes. Missing riders etc. 

Clubs need to find a happy medium. What that is I dont know. 

But last nights crowd was really bad for a monday. 1200 at most. Even with guests and R/R on a weekend we was getting 1800 average. 

That tells me though that weekend racing (with guests etc)  overrides 2 full teams 1-7 on a Monday night 

Let's face it Phil, those who still attend regularly are pretty much immune to the contrived way the Sport in the UK runs its competitions, because if they weren't they too would no longer attend...

Therefore if all you can provide is contrived competitions (and let's be honest there doesn't seem to be an awful lot of effort to stop doing it), then you might as well run them on the best nights to get a crowd in...

The bottom line is winning any (team) Speedway title in the UK has no kudos, so it doesn't really matter who wins any of the meetings that make up these competitions....

So run these contrived meetings with teams as equal as possible, on Fridays or Saturday's for the Aces, Thursdays or Sunday's for Sheffield, Monday's for Wolves etc etc etc. (If that's what they want)..

In short whenever ANY team can deliver the most customers..

Fans who still go (by definition of them being there regularly) will watch any ad hoc, for one night only, random septet cobbled together and pretend it's 'their team' so you might as well do it on nights most are free to do so...

For me, the sport by using guest riders means any night won't see me at any track as I simply cannot justify paying to watch such nonsense in a sport that wants me to invest emotionally to a team concept, however I do accept that most fans who are still left no longer see that as any issue at all...

Therefore if all the sport has is what is now on offer then so be it, but do it when you can bring in the most money...

As I have previously mentioned, 600 extra punters, twenty times a season delivers an extra £200k..

Got to be worth a go surely given the potential prize on offer?

Edited by mikebv

11 hours ago, bigcatdiary said:

My first visit to the NSS and it looked a very tidy stadium and track, the track looked grippy early doors but it was clear it was fairly slick and all though a few on here thought the racing was good their was little passing after the first corner.

Trapping was paramount as Tungate clearly showed but him apart we lacked heat winners and that’s what cost us mid meeting.

The meeting was run at a good rate and we were on our way home at just after 9pm.

It wasn’t a classic, it was an average meeting at the NSS but as far as passing goes think you must have blocked them out of your mind as it was the Belle Vue riders doing most of the passing. 

Heats 1, 4, 6, 7, 9, 10, 11, 14, 15 all had passes after the first lap, if you don’t believe me look at the updates site. Heat 13 was a good race without any passing with Fricke and Bjerre all over Tungate trying to pass either side and heat 15 was worth the admission fee alone.

• Like 1

On 4/29/2019 at 11:05 PM, mikebv said:

Interesting to read in the SS the other week that Leicester's Saturday crowds in the 'second division' are up on the Monday crowds they got in the Premiership..

No GP 'superstars' riding there this year yet crowds are up? 

As you say, a Friday or a Saturday would get you at least 600 more I would say,...

Twenty meetings, 600 extra, would equate to 12000 more fans..

At £18 that's over £200k more revenue...

As you say, a great product, but not much use having something so good to sell if your opening times prevent customers from getting there..

Doesnt help itself Speedway sometimes does it?

Take away Doyle and perhaps Fricke and there's not much of a difference between the leagues at all. With the Championship being strongly Northern based racing at that level would certainly see far better crowds as far more away supporters would travel, the racing would still be excellent and we wouldn't miss the GP riders as there is only one in the so called top league. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, bellevueace said:

Take away Doyle and perhaps Fricke and there's not much of a difference between the leagues at all. With the Championship being strongly Northern based racing at that level would certainly see far better crowds as far more away supporters would travel, the racing would still be excellent and we wouldn't miss the GP riders as there is only one in the so called top league. 

Pretty much a spot on business plan I would suggest...

Go with six man teams to reduce wage bills (and provide replacements without needing guests) and charge £15 in with all school and college kids 18 and under free,...

And you would have a pretty good chance of getting some decent crowds (with the atmosphere that decent crowds bring),  I reckon..

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Rob B said:

It wasn’t a classic, it was an average meeting at the NSS but as far as passing goes think you must have blocked them out of your mind as it was the Belle Vue riders doing most of the passing. 

Heats 1, 4, 6, 7, 9, 10, 11, 14, 15 all had passes after the first lap, if you don’t believe me look at the updates site. Heat 13 was a good race without any passing with Fricke and Bjerre all over Tungate trying to pass either side and heat 15 was worth the admission fee alone.

As others have said it’s your own perspective, I had heard good reports about Belle Vue and to be fair I was a tad disappointed if I am honest, I wasn’t the only one in my party either.

As you say it wasn’t a classic.

44 minutes ago, bigcatdiary said:

As others have said it’s your own perspective, I had heard good reports about Belle Vue and to be fair I was a tad disappointed if I am honest, I wasn’t the only one in my party either.

As you say it wasn’t a classic.

You said there was little passing after the first corner, which was factually incorrect. A lot of other tracks have that amount of passes in half a season or more. If it has been the Peterborough riders doing all the passing along with a closer scoreline I'm sure you would have said differently.

8 minutes ago, Rob B said:

You said there was little passing after the first corner, which was factually incorrect. A lot of other tracks have that amount of passes in half a season or more. If it has been the Peterborough riders doing all the passing along with a closer scoreline I'm sure you would have said differently.

And in my opinion their was little passing, you obviously think otherwise.

I don’t, get over it.

4 minutes ago, bigcatdiary said:

And in my opinion their was little passing, you obviously think otherwise.

I don’t, get over it.

Didn't realise Chapman has made the Peterborough fans that depressed and grumpy that its effecting their judgement of the racing. At least you have 3 points to play with. 

• Haha 1

There’s either passing or there isn’t. It’s not down to opinion. 

Rob has listed the passing so can you give us your view on these heats?

• Like 1

I saw passing in about 50% of the races and the speedway updates confirms it. 

29 minutes ago, Rob B said:

Didn't realise Chapman has made the Peterborough fans that depressed and grumpy that its effecting their judgement of the racing. At least you have 3 points to play with. 

You’ve obviously not come across BCD before :D

40 minutes ago, Rob B said:

Not any more, new green sheets come in force today ...