British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Skidder1

Ipswich v Poole; Supporters Cup; Thurs 16/05/19

20 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

Absolute joke.

Come on now....

It wouldn't be Speedway (in Britain), without some made up septet improved by bringing ringers in would it?

You can get away with in British Speedway what you cannot do in my lads U16 Sunday Football League as they all need photo profiles to show they are registered players on the league website, which the ref checks before the game..

British Speedway.... Tee Hee...

I wonder if they have ever considered doing 'fixed nights' for all the main European leagues to avoid such clashes?:rolleyes:

Seriously, if you are going to have clashes, like happens every year, and you end up running loads of contrived nonsense meetings, like happens every year,  then you might as well do it at weekends when crowds would be bigger..

Especially now the Football season is virtually finished..

The SoN at BV showed what a Saturday night crowd was like versus running the same meeting on a Monday or a Thursday...

You wouldn't have had a full house on either evening..

It's OK now for it all to be 'made up', the fans that are left expect nothing else, so do it when most of them can/will attend..

It doesn't really matter who wins..

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, cityrebel said:

Absolutely. If you are waiting for speedway to become a serious sport, I'd stop going. I go in the hope of seeing a close meeting with some decent racing. Sometimes i get this, but mostly i don't!

I will stick it out you never miracles do happen oh I forgot this is speedway :t: 

Wave a magic wand and Buster will own all five of the tracks in the Top UK League ( yes only five teams ) in 2020. Top three into the round-robin playoffs. Fifteen riders in a 'choose your team from" pool and £25 to get in ( No concessions ). UK speedway IS going to get much worse before it gets better. Then some semi-pro matches can be run on an ad-hoc basis to ensure a that a sport similar to what speedway used to be like, continues to exist up until the 2028 Centenary. Or do we now all agree that the centenary is now in 2023 and will be called the Buster Remnants Tournament? 

10 hours ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Does it matter as it is only an unofficial fixture/competition

Surprised they even bother with a table or a final for a glorified challenge event

And you can apply the exact same statement to League racing in this country, which has already been tainted by riders riding for multiple clubs, thus potentially hindering their own contracted team later in the season.

The penny is finally dropping for the handful of people still watching the sport over here.

Save your money and take a couple of trips to Poland a year and do a couple of GPs.  Much better for your health and sanity.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CB252 said:

And you can apply the exact same statement to League racing in this country, which has already been tainted by riders riding for multiple clubs, thus potentially hindering their own contracted team later in the season.

The penny is finally dropping for the handful of people still watching the sport over here.

Save your money and take a couple of trips to Poland a year and do a couple of GPs.  Much better for your health and sanity.

None of those will have a Witches race jacket/suit on though so I’ll save my money to watch the team I support  :wink:

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

None of those will have a Witches race jacket/suit on though so I’ll save my money to watch the team I support  :wink:

Witches and British speedway first for me too although I am going to Warsaw this week too!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Just because some riders this season will have a Witches (borrowed) race jacket on, it wont mean they are your team....

So technically you are not watching Ipswich but an amalgam of any one available for one night only (if their average fits)..

It can never lead to a successful sport in this modern day 24 hours, seven days a week, instant media driven era.....

And if Poland ran such a ludicrous operating model, they too would run their Speedway in front of hundreds rather than tens of thousands..

With the inevitable lack of National media coverage and absence therefore of any Blue Chip company sponsorship..

Edited by mikebv

28 minutes ago, CB252 said:

Many of those like myself in this case are not posting as they want to be negative - quite the opposite. Its because we care and want to see it turn around

When someone is critical of a team or rider performance or even management decisions it actually shows their passion in most cases (even if the way it comes across isnt always the best)

• Like 1

Just now, mikebv said:

Just because some riders this season will have a Witches (borrowed) race jacket on, it wont mean they are your team....

So technically you are not watching Ipswich but an amalgam of any one available for one night only (if their average fits)..

It can never lead to a successful sport in this modern day 24 hours, seven days a week, instant media driven era.....

And if Poland ran such a ludicrous operating model, they too would run their Speedway in front of hundreds rather than tens of thousands..

Sorry that makes zero sense to me. It doesn’t matter who the riders are, where they come from or their nationality. 

The current seven riders that are wearing Witches kevlars are representing my home town team, the team I support so of course they’re my team. 

If a rider or two are missing for whatever reason, whoever comes in for one meeting only and wears a Witches race jacket, will also be representing “my team”. 

We’ll agree to disagree. 

• Like 4

It's an absolute joke that Sweden get priority over cup matches. It's still an official meeting. And one that I should imagine most fans and promoters will want to win. (Who doesnt want a trophy)

They say they only get priority for cup matches but come on.... that's where it starts. You know ho the rest will go. 

• Like 5

I thought the deal was that Monday’s and Thurs were protected as Top flight ( I know, dont laugh) Speedway in the UK. So that’s all gone by the wayside.    Who negotiated that deal,  Teresa May ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Phil The Ace said:

It's an absolute joke that Sweden get priority over cup matches. It's still an official meeting. And one that I should imagine most fans and promoters will want to win. (Who doesnt want a trophy)

They say they only get priority for cup matches but come on.... that's where it starts. You know ho the rest will go. 

You go where the money is Phil..

You cannot play poker when you are only holding one card..

And that is the 'hand' the BSPA has in the grand scheme of things.

Exactly why therefore they should just cut adrift and do their own thing..

With whichever riders can commit to being at every event..

With all events planned on the nights each individual club feel they can attract the best crowds..

Arch Stanton in his reply to me is very much one of a reducing number. ie those who will still collude with promoters that what they are watching is 'real regardless of how contrived it is..

So try and run it with credibility on nights when people can/want to attend, before its tipping point for survival has been reached..

51 minutes ago, mikebv said:

With the inevitable lack of National media coverage and absence therefore of any Blue Chip company sponsorship..

Oh for god's sake, so in Poland and Sweden riders never race for different clubs, they stick to the first club they are ever contracted to? Does Zmarzlik not race for a Swedish team etc etc To be fair Polish Extraliga (sp) riders could probably race for one club alone with all the money they earn! 

38 minutes ago, semion said:

I thought the deal was that Monday’s and Thurs were protected as Top flight ( I know, dont laugh) Speedway in the UK. So that’s all gone by the wayside.    Who negotiated that deal,  Teresa May ?

It was negotiated last season and certain clubs wouldn't go with it, one chance and it looks like we have blown it ..... Woffy might get his wish after all, if he does he better race back here!

3 minutes ago, Trees said:

Oh for god's sake, so in Poland and Sweden riders never race for different clubs, they stick to the first club they are ever contracted to? Does Zmarzlik not race for a Swedish team etc etc To be fair Polish Extraliga (sp) riders could probably race for one club alone with all the money they earn! 

zmarzlik also races Denmark