British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Col

Slovenian GP 01/06

9 minutes ago, Bunce said:

What! There were some good races, but most of it was dire.

NOTHING wrong with the track when Zmarzlik and Woffinden were passing and re-passing which begs the question: if they could do it, why couldn't others? Do we too often blame the track when, in fact, it is the riders not making the best use of it?

• Like 2

A few good races but on the whole it was fairly processional, the fact that it was close helped especially towards the end but riveting entertainment all night it wasn’t.

The referees need to get a grip on rolling starts because one or two got away with it tonight and it isn’t fair on the others.

We watched the practice on Friday , well for a few minutes anyway because it was dire and we switched over. My view on practice is it’s either compulsory for everyone or get rid of it altogether.

Edited by bigcatdiary
  • Like 1

I was impressed with the smooth running of the meeting. Didn’t see a lot of spinner work by mechanics on the track, nor excessive gardening.  No fallers. And 23 races in well under 3 hours. Like others said, the ref missed some serious movement at the starts including Lambert, and obvious movement by Madsen in the final.  Whilst there was some passing, there was little passing the the gaters ie Laguna, Madsen and Dudek. An average meeting.

Edited by OveFundinFan

1 hour ago, Bunce said:

What! There were some good races, but most of it was dire.

I was being sarcastic.  It was awful.

Poor, poor meeting. 

Got home from Twickenham just in time to keep an eye on the last 5 heats while watching the Champions League final.

The Woffinden/Zmarzlik encounter in the heats looked like a decent race, I was more intent on keeping a Beagle snout out of my Chinese.

The rest of what I saw didn't seem great but glad Lambert made a semi again, good experience & for his confidence at the top tier.

It will be available OD in morning, with watching?

Just got in from watching Champions League Final & checked updates site. As no one has posted this, how come Tai was in a semi final yet Kolodziej wasn't? Both on 7 points, Kolodziej had a win, Tai didn't! 

Checked again to find Tai had 9 points(4x2, 1x1) from his heats(updater error) so has 9 + 1. Even the GP site has him on 6 rides & 9 points.

Please excuse the alcohol content.

Edited by IronScorpion

4 minutes ago, IronScorpion said:

Just got in from watching Champions League Final & checked updates site. As no one has posted this, how come Tai was in a semi final yet Kolodziej wasn't? Both on 7 points, Kolodziej had a win, Tai didn't! 

Tai had 8 points, Kolodziej 7

• Like 1

So an error on the updates & GP site correct with 9(8 in heats + 1 in semi)

• Like 1

Poor track really, hog the inside line and you win. Amazing how tracks like this get a GP but Belle Vue doesn't get one. 

24 minutes ago, Perton Wolf said:

Poor track really, hog the inside line and you win. Amazing how tracks like this get a GP but Belle Vue doesn't get one. 

Belle Vue won’t get a gp Until Cardiff sells out. Which would be never.

Edited by Steve Shovlar

Gate and Go ( as ever at this GP ). Only the Very Bravest of the Brave could get by. Salute the victor!

10 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

NOTHING wrong with the track when Zmarzlik and Woffinden were passing and re-passing which begs the question: if they could do it, why couldn't others? Do we too often blame the track when, in fact, it is the riders not making the best use of it?

Well that was probably the most entertaining race of the night Philip, but when the Worlds best riders on the best bikes struggle to make any sort of pass for race after race, then I rate that as a very poor spectacle. Couple that with the farce that took place on the Friday when only 10 of the 16 riders took part and a referee who needs a new pair of glasses, then what you have left certainly didn't entertain me. I think most on this forum would agree that this GP was one to forget.

8 hours ago, Perton Wolf said:

15 minutes ago, waytogo28 said:

Gate and Go ( as ever at this GP ). Only the Very Bravest of the Brave could get by. Salute the victor!

AS stated earlier, why always blame the track?. It certainly wasn't dangerous and riders like Zmarzlik proved many times that passing was possible. Perhaps other riders simply lacked his ability. Been there many times and am no fan of the venue (in speedway terms, lovely country) but all current GP riders are quite capable of winning races and/or not being passed.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bunce said:

Well that was probably the most entertaining race of the night Philip, but when the Worlds best riders on the best bikes struggle to make any sort of pass for race after race, then I rate that as a very poor spectacle. Couple that with the farce that took place on the Friday when only 10 of the 16 riders took part and a referee who needs a new pair of glasses, then what you have left certainly didn't entertain me. I think most on this forum would agree that this GP was one to forget.

LET'S not forget that in years gone by many riders skipped practice. I have had several private conversations with Armando Castagna regarding Poland staging TV meetings on a Friday and he is strongly opposed to it. But the FIM, like most big corporations (which is what these international sporting governing bodies are these days) are frightened of lengthy, expensive legal disputes and there are lawyers in Geneva who are wary that trying to block these Polish meetings could come back to haunt them. 

BSI along with the FIM have introduced transponders and time trials in an attempt to make practice more attractive and meaningful for the public and riders. Personally, I don't find any entertainment in watching a single rider do four laps against the clock. And does it actually make any difference on race night? Zagar was fastest in Warsaw and came last in his opening heat and had a poor night. Lagutra was fastest in Krsko and did not win a race. Speedway isn't about the fastest, it is who gets to the chequered flag first. 

Edited by PHILIPRISING
  • Thanks 1