British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
JCookie

GP Challenge Final (Gorican) - 24/08/19

5 minutes ago, HenryW said:

The top 10 are pretty tight, but the man in 11th, 1 point behind 10th is apparently totally out of touch...Is that what you are saying? :blink::P

Ha, my mistake. Top 9 / top 10.

Edited by JCookie

43 minutes ago, Mark said:

With the normal injuries we will see Aspergren and Thomsen in the 2020 series.

Unfortunately for those boys, the challenge doesn't provide the series reserves any more. The reserves are just selected.

The top 4 in the GP challenge were the 4 riders who are currently in the GP's (yes i know Fricke was a reserve) seems to show nobody is yet ready to step up

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, HenryW said:

Unfortunately for those boys, the challenge doesn't provide the series reserves any more. The reserves are just selected.

that is a shame in one way but in another it gives a wild card to a rider who deserves a chance.      Lambert may get a near complete series ths year so there is plenty of opportunity.

Lambert andFricke apart,I don’t see any young up and comers in last nights line up.So where are they all at this level.

57 minutes ago, HenryW said:

Flippin' eck. So getting into the top 3 in the challenge is an even bigger deal than ever. At least if you missed out by an odd point, you could fully expect to get into one or two GPs. 

2 hours ago, JCookie said:

The difference is Iversen, Zagar and Lindback have been proven to be not at the level of winning GPs regularly, or even at all. Aspgren, Pavlic and Loktajev probably wouldn't win a GP either but you never know as they've never tried. Just like you say with Kolodziej, you never know...

So if these 3 would have qualified for next years GP series I reckon it could have been a very long series.

its already been said, but couple years ago the shout was “we need new blood, put Milik and Lebedevs in the series”. Upon reflection, what would they have added. A full GP series I would imagine is tough. Few years ago Vaculik dropped out of the series, saying he will come back in a few years when he more experience. Now he is back......at what age...is he 27. Stick the youngsters in too soon and you not guaranteed entertainment as we like it. Madsen isn’t a youngster now, and he said he was too young last time. Same with Artur Laguna, too young before... he says that.

1 hour ago, HenryW said:

Hang on. If NKI or MZ should just squeeze into the top 8 this year, who gets their challenge qualification spot?

14 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

So if these 3 would have qualified for next years GP series I reckon it could have been a very long series.

its already been said, but couple years ago the shout was “we need new blood, put Milik and Lebedevs in the series”. Upon reflection, what would they have added. A full GP series I would imagine is tough. Few years ago Vaculik dropped out of the series, saying he will come back in a few years when he more experience. Now he is back......at what age...is he 27. Stick the youngsters in too soon and you not guaranteed entertainment as we like it. Madsen isn’t a youngster now, and he said he was too young last time. Same with Artur Laguna, too young before... he says that.

This is all true. 

Simple fact is for all of the arguments on here about who should qualify/get wild cards, you never know how how anyone will be from season to season. Riders form can dip or improve dramatically. However For the most part there are 15 bloody good riders every year. Occasionally there’s a couple of obvious ones missing but that’s the nature of sport 

7 minutes ago, False dawn said:

Hang on. If NKI or MZ should just squeeze into the top 8 this year, who gets their challenge qualification spot?

That’s what I couldn’t figure out. If Vaculik NKI and Zagar all crept in top 8 (and now they know they are certain next year will ride with more confidence) then there were 3 riders on 9 points. Surely they shoulda had a run off too?

12 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

Stick the youngsters in too soon and you not guaranteed entertainment as we like it. Madsen isn’t a youngster now, and he said he was too young last time. Same with Artur Laguna, too young before... he says that.

So true, and not just a case of "entertainment".

Chucking youngsters in at the deep end - whether it's at the highest level, or even like when we had the compulsory junior in the BL - is a very dangerous game to play. It can actually destroy a career before it has started, by knocking all the confidence out of a person.

It's okay saying that you need "experience", and that the only way to gain that experience is by competing, but if you are not avtually competitive, that can be very counter-productive.

Remember, you can get "good" overnight, but you can't gain experience overnight...

Steve

3 minutes ago, RPNY said:

However For the most part there are 15 bloody good riders every year. Occasionally there’s a couple of obvious ones missing but that’s the nature of sport 

As we have said, the old World Final system was never designed to showcase the best 16 riders in the world; the GP system is. There will always be the odd exception, but you can't argue with what we have.

Who cares how old someone is, or how boring you may think his style is? If he earns the right to compete, then good luck to him! Iversen and Zagar both continually prove that they are good enough to be in the GP series...

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, False dawn said:

I think they just use the race positions count system...So in order it would be Thomsen, Aspgren, Pavlic and then Loktaev.

42 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Lambert andFricke apart,I don’t see any young up and comers in last nights line up.So where are they all at this level.

Young up and comers, the likes of Drabik and Smektala IMO are not far off GP level, for me the two riders mentioned are above Fricke just Lambert by a long way

9 minutes ago, HenryW said:

I think they just use the race positions count system...So in order it would be Thomsen, Aspgren, Pavlic and then Loktaev.

Aspgren won 2 races Thomsen only 1 tho?