British Speedway Forum
Hackett

Eastbourne 2020

7 minutes ago, SuperSpeed said:

The club have to shoulder some of the blame for that, I'm afraid...

We've had two meetings start late because the tapes failed, "15 minute" intervals that have stretched to 40, incessant bouts of tractor racing (and a tractor demolition derby), a reserve who'd rather sit in Poland not racing than turn out for Eastbourne, a "full MSDL second half" with no opposition that consisted of Abilitt racing a couple of junior riders who couldn't broadside and lapped slower than I could run it, an NDL fixture with half a team, a double header that wasn't far off running into the following day...etc, etc...is it any wonder that only the die-hards come back week after week?

My sister has two small boys who love motorsports, and who I'm sure would love speedway too, but it's becoming increasingly difficult to recommend it to her when I can't tell her what they'll be seeing, or reassure her that she'll be able to put the kids to bed at a reasonable time.

For my part, myself and my wife carried our 2020 season tickets over to this year in good faith, rather than go for a refund.  Lord knows we could have used the money at various points over the last 18 months but we wanted to help the club, particularly considering how well run things were (on the whole) during 2019.  We bought our 90th anniversary tickets the day they went on sale, plus the extra merchandise that they were flogging. Sadly at this point in time it's increasingly seeming like a poor decision and, even if the remaining Championship fixtures are fulfilled, we'll be significantly out of pocket compared to paying for meetings on a week by week basis. 

If the rumours regarding the financial situation are true I dread to think what's happened to the money from the air fence fund...and with no air fence there's no Eastbourne next season regardless of the outcome this year :(

I carried my 10 meeting ticket over. I've just about broke even.

6 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

I carried my 10 meeting ticket over. I've just about broke even.

If the season finished today I think my wife and I have effectively paid £44 per meeting :(

25 minutes ago, SuperSpeed said:

If the season finished today I think my wife and I have effectively paid £44 per meeting :(

Well listening to today’s gossip it appears neither the riders or the landlord has seen your money and I’m cancelling my b&b for next weekend.

2 minutes ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

Well listening to today’s gossip it appears neither the riders or the landlord has seen your money and I’m cancelling my b&b for next weekend.

Wait until Tuesday then form an educated decision 

1 hour ago, SuperSpeed said:

That's shocking. Fingers crossed they see the season out.

13 minutes ago, Old Crusader said:

Why what's happening Tuesday?

Probably visiting the accountant on Monday

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Old Crusader said:

Why what's happening Tuesday?

Apparently big press release  today or tomorrow?

7 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Is this a surprise to Eastbourne Supporters,seemed to be a well run club to me as an outsider.?

Same here always come across as a well run club. 

11 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Is this a surprise to Eastbourne Supporters,seemed to be a well run club to me as an outsider.?

Yes and no really. I did think with our crowd levels ( before covid) it would be a tight line financially, but with what seemed good sponsorship and the brilliant media side would be ok,  but then covid happened. I do think alongside Birmingham and Kent to name a couple, we had a successful product taken away that was sustainable even now, and that was the proper National League of a few seasons ago and clubs like I've mentioned had no choice to go Championship or probably disappear as the NDL now seems a non event really, not a proper league and not as good a development tool. IOW bravely took things into their own hands which looks to have been a success for them which I comend, but does look a bit dire for a lot of clubs, we will see!

Edited by gazzac
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

A sizeable group of lads and I went to Eastbourne speedway during my stag weekend 10 years ago.  Eastbourne were having a double header and we only had the time to stay for the first meeting.  Bob Dugard (RIP) was stood at the gate and welcomed us in with open arms and allowed us to only pay 50% of the charge trusting us all to leave once the first meeting finished which we duly did.  The place was rammed to the rafters!

How times have changed.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, gazzac said:

Yes and no really. I did think with our crowd levels ( before covid) it would be a tight line financially, but with what seemed good sponsorship and the brilliant media side would be ok,  but then covid happened. I do think alongside Birmingham and Kent to name a couple, we had a successful product taken away that was sustainable even now, and that was the proper National League of a few seasons ago and clubs like I've mentioned had no choice to go Championship or probably disappear as the NDL now seems a non event really, not a proper league and not as good a development tool. IOW bravely took things into their own hands which looks to have been a success for them which I comend, but does look a bit dire for a lot of clubs, we will see!

Not good,I do think it was a mistake a few seasons ago not to merge the big leagues,with those who didn’t fancy the costs dropping to a then decent National League.Hope something can be sorted out.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Trackerman48 said:

Apparently big press release  today or tomorrow?

Could it be a "come or we'll close down" promotion?

You know things are bad if Eastbourne are struggling as they have a reputation (rightly) as a well-run club that pay their riders on time and a modern club that utilise social media etc well.

Having said that, the new promotion must be mad if they're running off an 800-900 break even mark.  Even the best-suppirted Championship clubs don't get much more than 1000 so that's a very risky tightrope to walk.

Hopefully the club will stagger through and rejoin an improved NDL next season,  which is very sustainable and plenty of fun.