British Speedway Forum
Crazy robin

Swindon Robins 2020

Hi @mikebv

You’re probably right but I have sat through some long council planning meetings at which the stadium development has been discussed and all the councillors seemed to be very passionate about wanting to keep the speedway going. (The local MP has said the same but I don’t think he cares about very much other than his own career.) The councillors have all argued that speedway is very important to Swindon. 

You have a good point though about the dwindling spectator numbers potentially being used as an excuse not to progress with the stadium build. But I doubt many councillors would come out and say publicly that they would prioritise the house building over the speedway track. 

8 hours ago, cowboy cookie returns? said:

I really want to see Poole continue well in to the future unlike some I have a soft spot for the pirates.

I also really want to see speedways survival & for it to grow. 

I fear the issue for Poole is while it's the town's premium sport & has the support of the council, the council might decide to take the money from a developer rather than take a risk that speedway will still be around in 5 to 10 years.

That as I see it is the major issue the rate of decline in attendance figures coupled with the amount of track closures doesn't make speedway seem like a good medium term risk.

You make some very good points there! I guess all you can so is put pressure on the council that it is wanted to stay in the town and hope that they agree! I don't think The Ford's will let it go without a fight though. So if they can't save it, I don't think anyone else can imo. 

20 hours ago, JessicaJones said:

Hi @Technik

I think I’ve answered most of your questions about greyhound racing in previous posts. On the question of whether greyhounds would be bred if not raced, greyhounds as a breed have been around for 1,000s of years. They have only been raced in this country for less than a hundred so the chances that they would die out as a breed are slim. I also had this discussion with Baiden on a previous few posts about the number of greyhounds that are bred for the industry and then discarded as wastage, either before, during or after their racing lives. Whilst they are used as commodities, they will always - sadly - be abused. Abuse in the industry is rife but of course that’s not the picture that the tracks want people to see when they visit. 

These questions are all addressed on our website-Stop Swindon Greyhound Racing-under FAQs if you wanted to have a look.

I accept the point about the two tracks working well together but the fact is that the economic case for greyhound racing is waning. For Gaming International, it is not a profitable business and my argument has always been that to rely on greyhound racing would be to hasten the end of the speedway in Swindon, not keep it going. Spectator numbers at tracks are now very low as the public doesn’t support it in large numbers anymore and the BAGS racing money doesn’t seem to cover the running costs. Far better for GI to diversify in order to support the speedway. Suspect it is too late now though.

A number of people have told you already but you are still banging the anti-greyhound agenda on a speedway forum.  While you may be passionate about that subject, it is hardly a topic for this forum.  We want Swindon Speedway back and that means having the dogs too - as it has been for most of the last 50 years!  If you want to talk about speedway then please do but keep your anti-greyhound agenda to yourself please as you have already had more pages on the subject than I care to read!

• Like 3

Hi @Steve0

Thanks for your message. Have you read any of my posts? My point has been that relying on the greyhound racing will mean the end of the speedway as greyhound racing is not profitable for Gaming International. I have made that point several times and that was the basis of our group reaching out to work with the speedway fans. 
Have a look at what happened to Wallyford Stadium. A half built stadium for years - started as a condition for further development of the site - until the company claimed that greyhound racing was no longer viable (as it is not for GI Ltd too). 
All the best

JJ 

Take your greyhound conspiracy theories to another forum ffs

Edited by ruckerroo
  • Like 2

Hi @ruckerroo
Have a look at the Gaming International accounts to see what the company’s profits/losses are. They are all available on the Companies House website. Whether you agree that greyhound racing is cruel or not, you will see that the company is not making a profit from the racing. They are only making a profit from selling off land on the site.

The company has also bought up four previous greyhound/speedway sites and closed four tracks. 

I am not sure what you consider to be a conspiracy. 

Best wishes

JJ

Edited by JessicaJones

On 7/9/2022 at 3:22 PM, JessicaJones said:

Hi @Technik

I think I’ve answered most of your questions about greyhound racing in previous posts. On the question of whether greyhounds would be bred if not raced, greyhounds as a breed have been around for 1,000s of years. They have only been raced in this country for less than a hundred so the chances that they would die out as a breed are slim. I also had this discussion with Baiden on a previous few posts about the number of greyhounds that are bred for the industry and then discarded as wastage, either before, during or after their racing lives. Whilst they are used as commodities, they will always - sadly - be abused. Abuse in the industry is rife but of course that’s not the picture that the tracks want people to see when they visit. 

These questions are all addressed on our website-Stop Swindon Greyhound Racing-under FAQs if you wanted to have a look.

I accept the point about the two tracks working well together but the fact is that the economic case for greyhound racing is waning. For Gaming International, it is not a profitable business and my argument has always been that to rely on greyhound racing would be to hasten the end of the speedway in Swindon, not keep it going. Spectator numbers at tracks are now very low as the public doesn’t support it in large numbers anymore and the BAGS racing money doesn’t seem to cover the running costs. Far better for GI to diversify in order to support the speedway. Suspect it is too late now though.

Who would Breed Greyhounds for Pets etc.?  the answer is no one... I hate it  when people use example of bad practice and put everyone in the same basket ..The majority of Greyhounds are well look after.. You then go about supporters not following the sport and not making money but you then support speedway that has the same problem . All your points never make any sense. All your looking to do is to get support from speedway  fans for your group  as  you can't get enough yourself .. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JessicaJones said:

Hi @ruckerroo
Have a look at the Gaming International accounts to see what the company’s profits/losses are. They are all available on the Companies House website. Whether you agree that greyhound racing is cruel or not, you will see that the company is not making a profit from the racing. They are only making a profit from selling off land on the site.

The company has also bought up four previous greyhound/speedway sites and closed four tracks. 

I am not sure what you consider to be a conspiracy. 

Best wishes

JJ

If they are selling off the land  what would it matter if Greyhound Racing was banned or not.. Still not sure how this would  help  speedway . If really cared about Greyhounds you would want  the houses to be built on site .  

Hi Orion

I can see that you’ve posted messages in response but I have muted you so no idea what you’ve said. Life is better that way!

Have a good day! 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, JessicaJones said:

Hi Orion

I can see that you’ve posted messages in response but I have muted you so no idea what you’ve said. Life is better that way!

Have a good day! 

It's quite clear  you not done that at all. That is the problem with people like you who have to lie all the time..Not sure why you go on a forum if can't take an opinion that is not the same as yours or be challenged  on the garbage and lies  that  you speak.. 

The owners of Swindon don’t care about the dogs or the speedway.Look at there history, all they do is buy up stadiums and build on them.Every track they get involved with ends up as houses.

4 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

MP Justin Tomlinson has tweeted about chasing updates on stadium 

He just repeats the same thing time and time again . its means nothing .. Sadly there are still  stupid Swindon fans who after all this time still like his total cop out . The bottom line here he's play  a blinder .  Him and Sbc have got the  houses built and at the same time he got the fans of his back and on his side buy  saying that a stadium was going to be build that he could never guarantee and then  blame Gaming when of course it never happened . 

Its amazing how gullible Swindon fans  are . 8 years of Total lies but still they are getting fooled and get angry when told so 

• Like 1

On 7/22/2022 at 10:25 PM, orion said:

He just repeats the same thing time and time again . its means nothing .. Sadly there are still  stupid Swindon fans who after all this time still like his total cop out . The bottom line here he's play  a blinder .  Him and Sbc have got the  houses built and at the same time he got the fans of his back and on his side buy  saying that a stadium was going to be build that he could never guarantee and then  blame Gaming when of course it never happened . 

Its amazing how gullible Swindon fans  are . 8 years of Total lies but still they are getting fooled and get angry when told so 

People still thank him for providing updates as well!!! 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, thecoombdog said:

People still thank him for providing updates as well!!! 

There was over 100  likes etc on Facebook..You could cry how stupid people.are His deal  that somehow he   still boasts about has done nothing  to protect Gaming not building a New Stadium..Why is he waiting for news - updates etc..Surely he should be the one putting his foot in Clark Osbourne door demanding meetings answers etc .