British Speedway Forum
Sidney the robin

England's best what order.??

7 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

Most interesting responses guys-some truly amazing stats there. Thanks.

Bobbath  a question for you  sir,   the mighty five  Moore, Craven, Briggs, Knutsson, Fundin.If PC had not passed  Knutsson had not retired  and Mirac have not had  a gap in his career could history of been different.?    Hypothetical i know PC was 29 reaching his peak, Ronnie was still a real force and Knutsson had the class to win more titles what is your gut feeling.??  Looking  back and i hate to say it but my hunch  is maybe Barry/Ove would not have won so many world titles.

Edited by Sidney the robin

33 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Bobbath  a question for you  sir,   the mighty five  Moore, Craven, Briggs, Knutsson, Fundin.If PC had not passed  Knutsson had not retired  and Mirac have not had  a gap in his career could history of been different.?    Hypothetical i know PC was 29 reaching his peak, Ronnie was still a real force and Knutsson had the class to win more titles what is your gut feeling.??  Looking  back and i hate to say it but my hunch  is maybe Barry/Ove would not have won so many world titles.

The only win by Ove that might have been in doubt given your scenario would have been 1967; he had already won his other four titles by the time PC died and Bjorn retired etc. Briggo is more problematic in that two of his titles were after PC died and one after Bjorn retired. But personally, I think Briggo would still have won in 1964 & 1966, as he was riding then better than at any time in his career (I think), though, of course, we will never know. And the results of 1964, 66 and 67 may well have seen PC and Knutson notch up more wins.

1 hour ago, norbold said:

The only win by Ove that might have been in doubt given your scenario would have been 1967; he had already won his other four titles by the time PC died and Bjorn retired etc. Briggo is more problematic in that two of his titles were after PC died and one after Bjorn retired. But personally, I think Briggo would still have won in 1964 & 1966, as he was riding then better than at any time in his career (I think), though, of course, we will never know. And the results of 1964, 66 and 67 may well have seen PC and Knutson notch up more wins.

Thanks Norbold great stuff, for me Mirac is the interesting one he broke a leg in 1963 at the age of 30 and had a six year exile from the Uk ..He returned in 1969 aged 36 reaching the World final he could of still been in the mix saying that reading up on his modest manor and the way he approached certain meetings i am far from saying he would of won more titles.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Thanks Norbold great stuff, for me Mirac is the interesting one he broke a leg in 1963 at the age of 30 and had a six year exile from the Uk ..He returned in 1969 aged 36 reaching the World final he could of still been in the mix saying that reading up on his modest manor and the way he approached certain meetings i am far from saying he would of won more titles.

I'm sure that Ronnie would have added at least a couple of further championship wins if he hadn't retired in 1963 Sid.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

I'm sure that Ronnie would have added at least a couple of further championship wins if he hadn't retired in 1963 Sid.

Interesting that Steve, as Fundin generally was regarded as the guy to beat.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Interesting that Steve, as Fundin generally was regarded as the guy to beat.

I saw Ronnie ride at Poole for Wimbledon in 1972 and he was a class above scoring, if I remember, 14 points.

18 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

Looked through the records of Penhall , Nielsen, Lee, from (1979 /1983.)            Nielsen  1979- 10.16.   1980- 10.70.  1981- 9.80.   1982- 9.89.    1983- 10.82                           Penhall. 1979- 10.02     1980- 10.46.    1981- 11.01.     1982- 10.74.           Lee. 1979- 10.29.    1980- 10.17.        1981- 10.30.     1982-   9.65.        1983- 10.16  all very impressive figures .     Lee actually averaged over 10 points a meeting  six seasons out of seven from 1977- 83.

...and one of my favourites, Gordon Kennett, achieved 9 plus averages for 7 seasons (1976 - 82)

• Like 1

Was Bruce's first season 78? What was his average if so, I remember his first meeting where he got 1 or 2 from 4 rides I think. You could tell he was going to be special tho

7 minutes ago, bruno said:

Was Bruce's first season 78? What was his average if so, I remember his first meeting where he got 1 or 2 from 4 rides I think. You could tell he was going to be special tho

I have it as 9.26 factionally behind teammate Steve Bastable who was on 9.51.

Edited by steve roberts

5 minutes ago, bruno said:

Yes Bruno he got paid 2 from 4 rides v Sheffield then he scored 9 points in his next meeting.I remember him scoring 7 at Swindon with two heat wins and the next time i see him he rode very well in the Manpower at Reading looked classy.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, steve roberts said:

I saw Ronnie ride at Poole for Wimbledon in 1972 and he was a class above scoring, if I remember, 14 points.

Looking back Steve i saw Ronnie ride four times in 1972 he guested for Briggs v Cradley then i saw him ride in the New Zealand v Sweden test ( Mauger/ Briggs missing), The Siver Plume individual meeting and later  on in the season he scored 12 points ( 4 wins) and a EF for Wimbledon.Steve you luckily  see him ride in the Daily mirror tournament at Cowley ?? when he was unattached i think he rode in a test at Wolves/ Ipswich maybe???? as well.

Edited by Sidney the robin

34 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Looking back Steve i saw Ronnie ride four times in 1972 he guested for Briggs v Cradley then i saw him ride in the New Zealand v Sweden test ( Mauger/ Briggs missing), The Siver Plume individual meeting and later  on in the season he scored 12 points ( 4 wins) and a EF for Wimbledon.Steve you luckily  see him ride in the Daily mirror tournament at Cowley ?? when he was unattached i think he rode in a test at Wolves/ Ipswich maybe???? as well.

New Zealand were originally due to meet Poland at Cowley in 1973 but the fixture was altered and they were replaced by Australia. At least that gave me the opportunity to see Jim Airey but "Rebels" skipper from the previous season Garry Middleton was programmed to ride he was conspicuous by his absence!

Nigel, Crash, Eric, Malc, Ray, Tel, John