British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
screm

Blair Scott RIP

Sad to report the passing of former Edinburgh rider Blair Scott. Blair had his battles with his personal demons which he succumbed to yesterday.

RIP Blair

• Sad 3

43 minutes ago, screm said:

Sad to report the passing of former Edinburgh rider Blair Scott. Blair had his battles with his personal demons which he succumbed to yesterday.

RIP Blair

Tragic. I gather there were issues as highlighted on the BSF.

RIP

Very sad, RIP Blair

Poor laddie, I really feel for his family. Sad to hear his demons won the battle. Hope Blair can now RIP

A great shame. A talented kid too. RIP

Rest in Peace Blair.

I found this story from 2001. Which shows what a hero Blair was on a cold November morning.

"A YOUNG speedway star was beaten up by thugs who used his face as "a trampoline" after he tried to rescue a woman from being attacked.

Edinburgh Monarchs rider Blair Scott, 21, was kicked unconscious when the thugs pounced on him and his 22-year-old pal as they tried to stop a fight between the gang and the woman.

The gang broke Blair's nose and fractured his cheekbone from a series of blows and kicks and his injuries were so horrific his own mother said she didn't even recognise him.

During the fight the woman managed to run away and call for help, while the gang of thugs later fled the scene by jumping in a taxi.

Blair was taken to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary for treatment.

His friend, who was not named by police, was also taken to the hospital and treated for a suspected fractured nose.

The attack happened early on Saturday morning as they made their way back from a friend's fancy dress party in Musselburgh.Officials at the Edinburgh Monarchs club, who compete at the speedway stadium in Armadale, West Lothian, yesterday extended their sympathies to the rider.

Their spokesman, John Campbell, said: "He is one of our up-and-coming stars - it's a great shame."

Blair is planning to travel to Australia next month to ride through the winter as a member of the British Lions team.

His mother Margaret, who lives in Niddrie, Edinburgh, said yesterday she did not regret her son's heroic actions despite the injuries he sustained.

She said: "They used him as a trampoline and made a real mess of him.

"His face was a complete and utter pulp and they weren't sure if his neck was broken. He's unrecognisable. I wouldn't have known him.

"He's pretty sore but he's keeping his chin up. I'm so proud of what he did."

Police yesterday said they were anxious to track down any witnesses.

A spokesman said: "The attack happened at around 1.40 in the morning on Saturday on the Edinburgh Road near the Shell garage.

"We are looking into the attack and are keen to find the men involved as it was quite a vicious attack on two young men."

Founded in 1948, the Edinburgh Monarchs are one of Britain's most successful speedway teams.

The club moved from Edinburgh to their new home in Armadale in 1997 and have won a number of the sport's biggest trophies.

As he recovered last night, Blair said: "I don't want a lot of publicity making me out to be a hero.

"I am not afraid of repercussions. It's just that I just find the whole thing very embarrassing. I want to forget the whole thing.

• Like 3

I have so many happy memories of Blair, especially on Southern tours in the good old days when tours lasted all week and Blair and Ally provided much of the humour.

I have always had a soft spot for our likeable lad and it is with great sadness that I now say, RIP Bongo

Sincere condolences to Margaret and Ally

• Like 1