Jump to content
British Speedway Forum
crescent girl

U-21 FINAL: BERWICK, Wednesday, October 21st

Recommended Posts

I looked at the 16 and thought any of them could be up there tonight. Reality tho is maybe a handful will go on to make a decent career and less than that at the top level. Maybe harsh given the year we've all had. I think GB have progressed the last few years but there's a long way to go

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

Some grumbling about the track and quality of racing. Could it be a lot of the riders have not had much track time this year and were racing a bit “cold”. Let’s face , a meeting in the middle of October is unlikely to give the best entertainment. The meeting should have been run by someone smarter then who was doing it. Too much  time between races made it drag on and the meeting proper did not finish due to the curfew on noise to the neighbouring houses. I will be giving a donation in the morning to give encouragement to Berwick Speedway. It will help to cover expenses - not many things in life are free, running a speedway meeting needs paying for.

Should not have bothered running it then.The riders are keen enough though, it’s just there is a big gulf in ability between them When you get up to U/21 level.

In Poland there are plenty riders at the same level through to U/ 21 as their Championship showed.
It’s going to be a long haul to achieve at World Level.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, bruno said:

I looked at the 16 and thought any of them could be up there tonight. Reality tho is maybe a handful will go on to make a decent career and less than that at the top level. Maybe harsh given the year we've all had. I think GB have progressed the last few years but there's a long way to go

The Top4 were head and shoulders above the rest. Brennan was improving as meeting went on but looks a bit hairy on the bike to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Endeavour said:

Dearth of GB talent so always going to be hard to track 16 riders who would provide any close racing.

Could apply to the British Final too :o

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

The Top4 were head and shoulders above the rest. Brennan was improving as meeting went on but looks a bit hairy on the bike to me.

Bewley and Kemp looked like they were on faster Premier League standard machines while Flint's obvious track knowledge gave him a wee edge.
It would have been interesting to have had the winning times to have compared the top four.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, cinderfella said:

Bewley and Kemp looked like they were on faster Premier League standard machines while Flint's obvious track knowledge gave him a wee edge.
It would have been interesting to have had the winning times to have compared the top four.

Good to see Flint on the pace but like you say track knowledge gave him the edge,but anybody thinking we’re anywhere top level with the majority of the riders are kidding themselves,we have all seen prospects at a young age but how many have made it on World Stage in the 30 years.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Good to see Flint on the pace but like you say track knowledge gave him the edge,but anybody thinking we’re anywhere top level with the majority of the riders are kidding themselves,we have all seen prospects at a young age but how many have made it on World Stage in the 30 years.

When you consider Bewley and Rowe have been getting good track time in Poland this year you can see how much they have improved but what does that say about the standard of British racing when our youngsters have to go abroad to race with the best and gain experience.
Gone are the days when riders wanted to come to Britain to race and compete with the best and I don't see anything changing in the near future
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RobMcCaffery said:

It'll be much longer before I bother to help someone like you. Idiot. 

What do you mean someone like me Rob? What do you know about me? Or do you mean someone who calls you out for being rude? Well if that makes me an idiot I fear for the rest of society. 

The way you talk to people is disgusting at times and if someone has the nerve to disagree with your opinions you resort to personal abuse as opposed to reasoned debate. 

Of course, I and all the other members of the BSF barring yourself are idiots so I look forward to your response which will undoubtedly be just as rude. 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, cinderfella said:

When you consider Bewley and Rowe have been getting good track time in Poland this year you can see how much they have improved but what does that say about the standard of British racing when our youngsters have to go abroad to race with the best and gain experience.
Gone are the days when riders wanted to come to Britain to race and compete with the best and I don't see anything changing in the near future
 

That is a point I made on another topic ,nobody is coming to GB to further their speedway career ,these days are long gone, and only the ambitious and very talented will break through abroad,you only have to look at the young Aussies to see what is required, get out of the comfort zone and make it happen is the only answer if you have the talent.Complaining about lack of funding won’t change any .Saying that there is a living to be  made in the sport in GB,but it won’t get you on the World stage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Ben91 said:

What do you mean someone like me Rob? What do you know about me? Or do you mean someone who calls you out for being rude? Well if that makes me an idiot I fear for the rest of society. 

The way you talk to people is disgusting at times and if someone has the nerve to disagree with your opinions you resort to personal abuse as opposed to reasoned debate. 

Of course, I and all the other members of the BSF barring yourself are idiots so I look forward to your response which will undoubtedly be just as rude. 

 

The guy has got a serious chip on his shoulder IMO.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RobMcCaffery said:

With Ben91's permission, my thoughts. (Don't worry lad, get someone to explain them to you). 

I really have a soft spot for Berwick, but even allowing for the power supply problems that wasc awful. It was only bu chance reading the comments on the Speedway Updates that I found a working link. The meeting ambled along with no sense of purpose or urgency and we were rewarded by the cancellation of the key final three races. Yes, they'd had problems but they didn't seem to be trying to make up for the delays.

I was dreadfully disappointed by the TV coverage - lousy sound, poor camerawork including the key rerun of heat 16 out of focus and a poor choiuce of support for Goddard.

I've donated because I believe passionately in the future of streaming in speedway. I love my trips to Shielfield Park and was happy to get an 'extra' trip up there.

Speedway can be wonderful. Sometimes it can be awful. Sadly this was the latter. 

 

I won't post more because it'll only annoy Ben 91. Hrey Ben, I'll take a day off easily - I'll just think of your inane postings and that'll help. There is one condition - you take a month off......................

Wow, I hadn’t even seen this when I posted above... 

Have a lovely rest of your week Rob. The weather forecast isn’t great but I hope you find something to brighten up your days.

I rarely get annoyed at things on the speedway forum. I use it to keep up to date with the latest news and have a discussion with fellow fans and a little bit of banter. I hope one day you can do the same. It will improve your experience no end. 

All the best. I mean that sincerely, not in the patronising tone you tried to pull off by calling me “lad” 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

a

Edited by George Dodds
point already addressed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rob Mac being a twit as usual. Surprised he hasnt mentioned how he was an announcer back in the 80s yet. 
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, cinderfella said:

When you consider Bewley and Rowe have been getting good track time in Poland this year you can see how much they have improved but what does that say about the standard of British racing when our youngsters have to go abroad to race with the best and gain experience.
Gone are the days when riders wanted to come to Britain to race and compete with the best and I don't see anything changing in the near future
 

Hardly got the chance to race here this year!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy