British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
iainb

Leicester vs Glasgow 21/08/21

19 minutes ago, iainb said:

It's 7pm, I'm a mile and a half from the stadium and this 100% could and should have gone ahead. We've not had anywhere near enough rain to waterlog the track, the ground is almost dry and the sun was trying to come through. 

Ah well, I shall settle in and watch The Hundred final as they didn't call their event off based on a weather forecast... consequently there's 30 odd thousand that have turned up to watch. 

Does anybody know what the forecast is saying for next Saturday? But the GP is on from Russia, may give Leicester a miss and watch the GP instead... losing a bit of interest in Leicester now.

The 7 days forecast is not good so they will call It off in the next few days

1 minute ago, Lenny Lion said:

The 7 days forecast is not good so they will call It off in the next few days

... from a different country!

It's not just about a dodgy weather forecast.  Given the forecast and the sort of day it's been, cloudy all day with the occasional shower, how many fans would have turned up with their umbrellas and rain gear, compared to how many would have turned up on a warm, sunny evening, especially when Glasgow are in town?

After all running a speedway club is a business!

• Like 1

What is the forecast for Saturday 28th August planning on coming up to watch the gladiators against the lions,probably stay over and have  a night out aswell :drink:

What a beautiful evening i am sat in clear skies in my garden having a BBQ .

Thank you again Stewart another great decision 

Edited by Lenny Lion
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Happy Hunter said:

It's not just about a dodgy weather forecast.  Given the forecast and the sort of day it's been, cloudy all day with the occasional shower, how many fans would have turned up with their umbrellas and rain gear, compared to how many would have turned up on a warm, sunny evening, especially when Glasgow are in town?

After all running a speedway club is a business!

Can you say what the right sort of day is? And how many days notice they'd need to arrange this fixture at short notice. And how many fans would have turned up anyway as this fixture received ZERO promotion... couldn't even be bothered to preview it on the website. 

We had this at the beginning of the 2019 season if my memory serves me. An early season fixture called off based on an incorrect forecast and all of the apologists for the Leicester "promotion" were on here saying that it was too cold for speedway anyway... consequently we were scratching around at the end of the season for a day to race on when it wasn't actually raining... and the fans STILL haven't seen the trophy!

Come on! Wake up to what's actually going on, you'll realise one day and it'll probably be too late!

Edited by iainb

7 minutes ago, Lenny Lion said:

You wouldn't be in Birstall!

14 minutes ago, Lenny Lion said:

Good BBQ probably better than watching paint dry at Leicester:rolleyes:

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Happy Hunter said:

You wouldn't be in Birstall!

Its been a beautiful warm night here near Anstey.

1 hour ago, lewy said:

What is the forecast for Saturday 28th August planning on coming up to watch the gladiators against the lions,probably stay over and have  a night out aswell :drink:

I think you will find that dark clouds are over most speedway tracks now and in the near future..

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Lenny Lion said:

No John I suggest Stewart comes down & calls the meeting off when the track is waterlogged & beyond repair.

Fact remains if Stewart could be bothered to come down I would be getting ready for the start of the meeting on bend 2 instead of being sat at home because it has hardly rained & certainly not anywhere near enough to threaten the meeting.

Who says it was Stewart's call all by himself? Calling meetings off is a case of not wanting to risk money when the forecast is against you. I'd think there'd be more than Stewart involved in that decision!

• Like 4

Leicester area seems to have been badly afflicted by overly pessimistic weather forecasts this summer. So many days I've lost count of them, when a full-on rain forecast for most of the day has turned out to be a short shower or two. But occasionally it catches you out by being correct but I'd say only about 20 percent this year. Very vexing indeed!

12 hours ago, Marshall07 said:

Who says it was Stewart's call all by himself? Calling meetings off is a case of not wanting to risk money when the forecast is against you. I'd think there'd be more than Stewart involved in that decision!

Whoever is involved... they keep getting it wrong

18 minutes ago, iainb said:

Whoever is involved... they keep getting it wrong

Maybe they can borrow 'Mystic Meg' the weather expert from Eastbourne. Great at spotting clouds, not so great at spotting financial ineptitude.... 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The Dog said:

Maybe they can borrow 'Mystic Meg' the weather expert from Eastbourne. Great at spotting clouds, not so great at spotting financial ineptitude.... 

She's probably telling them to keep buying lottery tickets!