British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Poole v Newcastle 25th August 2021

Poole finally gave their official 1-7 on Wednesday for the visit of Newcastle. We welcome Benjamin Basso to the number 2 berth which has been filled with guests since the dropping of Aussie Zane Keleher. By the look of it we have ourselves a talent, but he will need time to bed in so mustn’t expect too much from him for this one.

We pasted Newcastle a couple of weeks ago in their own patch and think this one could go in a similar direction. Hopefully they will put up a fight.

5 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Poole finally gave their official 1-7 on Wednesday for the visit of Newcastle. We welcome Benjamin Basso to the number 2 berth which has been filled with guests since the dropping of Aussie Zane Keleher. By the look of it we have ourselves a talent, but he will need time to bed in so mustn’t expect too much from him for this one.

We pasted Newcastle a couple of weeks ago in their own patch and think this one could go in a similar direction. Hopefully they will put up a fight.

Think you could be looking at another 60+ score .. Was at Redcar last night and Benjamin Basso definitely looks a good prospect. Spoke to him after the meeting and his English is brilliant and he seems to have what it takes to get to the top 

• Like 3

The cut-off for September 1st averages is Monday next (23rd). I wonder if there could be a change in rider order?

• Haha 1

Hope I'm wrong but can't see anything other than a big home victory.

20 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

The cut-off for September 1st averages is Monday next (23rd). I wonder if there could be a change in rider order?

Who is likely to be no1? I'm guessing Steve has the highest average. Shame to split up the partnership with Stef. Unless you put him at no2? But then Basso or one of the current reserves (if their average is high enough to go into the top 5) will be at 4 and that will be tough for them. 

3 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

Any club / team manager worth their salt will have been recalculating the average match by match and will already know of any potential changes.

We’re holidaying in Bournemouth so I’m considering bringing the family to this match - even though it sounds like it could be very one-sided it would be our first live speedway in almost 2 years and my kids love it. Can any regulars clarify a couple of things though please?

• I see on the website you can buy tickets on the gate - presumably you can pay by card rather than cash?
  • Presumably there is parking at the stadium - does this tend to get full up?

Thanks...

Hi Sevy, 

Pay on the gate with cash. Doesn’t seem the promotion like card payments. If you want to pay by card, buy tickets online.

Yes you can park at the stadium though don’t leave it late. A 6.30-6.45pm arrival will let you get a spot.

Although it might be a bit one sided you will still be entertained as I am sure a Newcastle rider or three will want to give it a go. Racing is always good at Poole. Last week the track staff underwatered the track before the meeting so pretty sure they won’t make that error again.

Will be good to see the new young Dane Benjamin Basso making his debut as well. 

32 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Hi Sevy, 

Pay on the gate with cash. Doesn’t seem the promotion like card payments. If you want to pay by card, buy tickets online.

Yes you can park at the stadium though don’t leave it late. A 6.30-6.45pm arrival will let you get a spot.

Although it might be a bit one sided you will still be entertained as I am sure a Newcastle rider or three will want to give it a go. Racing is always good at Poole. Last week the track staff underwatered the track before the meeting so pretty sure they won’t make that error again.

Hi Steve - thanks for the helpful info - much appreciated.

One further question - any recommendations of where it would be good to stand?  My kids are fairly short so I’d ideally like to find somewhere where they can get a clear view without being blocked by walls/fences etc - any suggestions?

Cheers...

Edited by Sevy

16 minutes ago, Sevy said:

Hi Steve - thanks for the helpful info - much appreciated.

One further question - any recommendations of where it would be good to stand?  My kids are fairly short so I’d ideally like to find somewhere where they can get a clear view without being blocked by walls/fences etc - any suggestions?

Cheers...

You should be able to grab seats in the grandstand if you are in before 7pm.  Alternatively you can stand pretty much anywhere from in front of the grandstand (although depending on how big your kids are they may not see everything) to around all 4 bends or sitting/standing in the glass stand (if you don't mind viewing behind glass??!)

Incidentally the stadium car park costs £2.50 per vehicle.  Also currently there are restrictions on bar and food availability!

Edited by Skidder1

15 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

You should be able to grab seats in the grandstand if you are in before 7pm.  Alternatively you can stand pretty much anywhere from in front of the grandstand (although depending on how big your kids are they may not see everything) to around all 4 bends or sitting/standing in the glass stand (if you don't mind viewing behind glass??!)

Incidentally the stadium car park costs £2.50 per vehicle.  Also currently there are restrictions on bar and food availability!

Thanks Skidder - that’s very helpful. We’ve missed our speedway with Swindon not running this year so think we will come along & see some hopefully decent racing.

Cheers...

1 hour ago, Sevy said:

We’re holidaying in Bournemouth so I’m considering bringing the family to this match - even though it sounds like it could be very one-sided it would be our first live speedway in almost 2 years and my kids love it. Can any regulars clarify a couple of things though please?

• I see on the website you can buy tickets on the gate - presumably you can pay by card rather than cash?
  • Presumably there is parking at the stadium - does this tend to get full up?

Thanks...

1 hour ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Hi Sevy, 

Ummm, you can actually pay by card on the gate but just have to queue outside the glass stand rather than under the main grandstand as everytime i get near the front of the queue i get asked if paying by cash or card!! Card queue is always a lot longer than the cash one though!

• Like 1

Basso is the real deal..........he nailed it at Redcar, may av only scored 5 but you had to be there to see how hard, I don't mean dirty, he was racing on a track that he hadn't seen before. How well he knows other rider's abilities I don't know but you can tell it doesn't phase him. He's like, I don't care who you are I'm gonna come past! 

Plus he was the fastest rider of the night. To do that is mind boggling .

Wish I could get down to Wimborne Road to see his home debut but I can assure all that he will give everything. Very exciting talent :t:

Just now, Chewbacca said:

If Poole don’t score 75 there should be sackings

As 'Harrison' Ford upset you Chewbacca? :rofl: