British Speedway Forum
bigcatdiary

Peterborough v Wolverhampton Monday 23rd August

7 hours ago, Bald Bloke said:

I’m sure if the teams were switched and the Panthers were where Lynn are it might be different Buster:unsure:

I think you might be right to a certain extent, when your team is winning everyone is happy. King's Lynn do have their fair share of loud mouth, negative nellies though, just look at this forum lol

• Like 1

Plenty of Lynn fans at Alwalton last night. Not sure if they were there to see the quality racing on show or to take a swipe at Buster. 

Well, that was worth the wait... (to get in :lol:)

Although it was a healthy crowd I think the queues to get in were more to do with there only being 3 people on the turnstiles.

Some calm and measured words from Bluster over the pa was good to hear. He should come on here and vent his spleen as he seems about as powerless as the rest of us to change the sport!

After Kingy shot away to win heat 1 in a time close to the track record I thought we were going to be in for another night of gate and go "racing" with the kind of fast times that only Edwin Overland seems to enjoy. Thankfully things livened up and we were served up with a classic, close scores throughout and some cracking close racing with 2 evenly matched teams.

Just something I noticed last night was Jordan Palin appearing to make what looked like the sign of the cross before each of his races, is he a religious lad? Quite unusual to see, I've seen another rider do this recently can't remember who, a young Polish lad I think.

And just to bring my pet hate up again, the lack of fixtures this summer... as I was walking back to the car I overheard a kid (of whom there were many last night) talking to his parents asking when the next match was and could they go, only to be told that he was going to be back at school then... so maybe not.

2 minutes ago, iainb said:

Well, that was worth the wait... (to get in :lol:)

Although it was a healthy crowd I think the queues to get in were more to do with there only being 3 people on the turnstiles.

Some calm and measured words from Bluster over the pa was good to hear. He should come on here and vent his spleen as he seems about as powerless as the rest of us to change the sport!

After Kingy shot away to win heat 1 in a time close to the track record I thought we were going to be in for another night of gate and go "racing" with the kind of fast times that only Edwin Overland seems to enjoy. Thankfully things livened up and we were served up with a classic, close scores throughout and some cracking close racing with 2 evenly matched teams.

Just something I noticed last night was Jordan Palin appearing to make what looked like the sign of the cross before each of his races, is he a religious lad? Quite unusual to see, I've seen another rider do this recently can't remember who, a young Polish lad I think.

And just to bring my pet hate up again, the lack of fixtures this summer... as I was walking back to the car I overheard a kid (of whom there were many last night) talking to his parents asking when the next match was and could they go, only to be told that he was going to be back at school then... so maybe not.

It’s because of other events at the Showground, they offer speedway very little choice in the way of dates in July and August and it’s been like that for a fair few number of years.

Its probably the main drawback that Peterbough Speedway has to live with at the Showground in the current era.

1 minute ago, bigcatdiary said:

It’s because of other events at the Showground, they offer speedway very little choice in the way of dates in July and August and it’s been like that for a fair few number of years.

Its probably the main drawback that Peterbough Speedway has to live with at the Showground in the current era.

Yep, I'm aware of that, makes you wonder why they run in a league that restricts them to running 2 nights a week and only run 2 matches during the school holidays then.

Just now, iainb said:

Yep, I'm aware of that, makes you wonder why they run in a league that restricts them to running 2 nights a week and only run 2 matches during the school holidays then.

Because speedway at the Showground often produces top quality meetings like last night.

It’s too good a venue to lose, so allowances are made unfortunately it’s the main bug bear for Panthers and we currently have to live with it.

Just now, bigcatdiary said:

Because speedway at the Showground often produces top quality meetings like last night.

It’s too good a venue to lose, so allowances are made unfortunately it’s the main bug bear for Panthers and we currently have to live with it.

It certainly does, but did in the middle tier also, when they were able to run on Sunday afternoons (and Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday & Saturday). With the leagues using almost entirely the same riders these days you have to wonder what the benefit of Peterborough being in the top league is.

6 minutes ago, iainb said:

It certainly does, but did in the middle tier also, when they were able to run on Sunday afternoons (and Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday & Saturday). With the leagues using almost entirely the same riders these days you have to wonder what the benefit of Peterborough being in the top league is.

More local derbies is the most obvious one, Lynn, Ipswich, Wolves and Sheffield are all easily accessible in an evening whilst even Belle Vue isn’t a vast distance away. 

Sunday afternoons worked quite well at the Showground but July and August availability was still always an issue, crowds for the other days was always a problem as they generally dipped whenever we had to move away from Sunday afternoons.

1 minute ago, bigcatdiary said:

More local derbies is the most obvious one, Lynn, Ipswich, Wolves and Sheffield are all easily accessible in an evening whilst even Belle Vue isn’t a vast distance away. 

Sunday afternoons worked quite well at the Showground but July and August availability was still always an issue, crowds for the other days was always a problem as they generally dipped whenever we had to move away from Sunday afternoons.

2018 fixture list - the lack of summer home dates was no different then

DATE OPPONENTS COMP. H/A
RESULT
MARCH      

Sun 18 Ben Fund Bonanza (6.30pm) . HOME
OFF
Sun 25 Lakeside (7.00pm) Championship Shield HOME
APRIL      

Sun 01 Ipswich (7.00pm) Championship Shield HOME
OFF
Thu 05 Ipswich Championship Shield Away
Fri 06 Lakeside Championship Shield Away
Thu 12 Sheffield Championship Away
OFF
Sun 15 Redcar Championship HOME
Tues 24 Ipswich (8.00pm) Championship Shield HOME
OFF
MAY      

Thu 03 Sheffield Championship Away
Fri 04 Edinburgh Championship Away
Fri 11 Workington Championship HOME
Sun 13 Edinburgh Championship HOME
Sat 19 Newcastle (7.00pm) Championship HOME
JUNE      

Fri 08 Glasgow Championship Away
Sun 10 Glasgow Championship HOME
Fri 15 Scunthorpe Championship Away
Sun 17 Ipswich Championship Shield HOME
Thu 21 Redcar Championship Away
Fri 29 Lakeside Championship HOME
JULY      

Fri 13 Scunthorpe Championship HOME
Sun 15 Sheffield (5.00pm) Championship HOME
AUGUST      

Sun 05 Ipswich (5.00pm) Championship HOME
Fri 10 Lakeside Championship Away
OFF
Sat 18 Berwick Championship Away
Sun 19 Newcastle Championship Away
Thu 23 Ipswich Championship Away
SEPTEMBER    

Sun 09 Berwick Championship HOME
Wed 12 Birmingham Inter-League Challenge Away
Fri 14 Workington Championship Away
Sat 15 Lakeside (At Rye House) 8.30app Championship Away
Sun 23 Lakeside (At Rye House) - 2pm KO Cup QF.1 Away
OFF
Sun 23 Lakeside - 7pm KO Cup QF.1 HOME
Sat 29 Lakeside (At Rye House) - 7pm Champ Shield SF.1 Away
Sat 29  Lakeside (At Rye House) - 8.30  KO Cup QF.2  Away 
Sun 30 Lakeside - 5pm Champ Shield SF.2 HOME
OCTOBER      

Fri 05 Scunthorpe KO Cup SF.1 Away
Sat 06 Lakeside (7.00pm) Championship PO SF.1 Away
OFF
Sun 07 Lakeside (5.00pm) Championship PO SF.1 HOME
Sat 13 Scunthorpe (7.00pm) KO Cup SF.2 HOME
Sun 14 Lakeside (5pm) Championship PO SF.2 Away
OFF
Sun 21 Lakeside (6pm) Championship PO SF.2 Away
Wed 24 Lakeside (7.30pm) Championship PO SF.2 Away

Sunday afternoon is better for kids and travelling fans though, there's even a couple of plum Saturday nights in that list.

21 minutes ago, NeilWatson said:

2018 fixture list - the lack of summer home dates was no different then

DATE OPPONENTS COMP. H/A
RESULT
MARCH      

Sun 18 Ben Fund Bonanza (6.30pm) . HOME
OFF
Sun 25 Lakeside (7.00pm) Championship Shield HOME
APRIL      

Sun 01 Ipswich (7.00pm) Championship Shield HOME
OFF
Thu 05 Ipswich Championship Shield Away
Fri 06 Lakeside Championship Shield Away
Thu 12 Sheffield Championship Away
OFF
Sun 15 Redcar Championship HOME
Tues 24 Ipswich (8.00pm) Championship Shield HOME
OFF
MAY      

Thu 03 Sheffield Championship Away
Fri 04 Edinburgh Championship Away
Fri 11 Workington Championship HOME
Sun 13 Edinburgh Championship HOME
Sat 19 Newcastle (7.00pm) Championship HOME
JUNE      

Fri 08 Glasgow Championship Away
Sun 10 Glasgow Championship HOME
Fri 15 Scunthorpe Championship Away
Sun 17 Ipswich Championship Shield HOME
Thu 21 Redcar Championship Away
Fri 29 Lakeside Championship HOME
JULY      

Fri 13 Scunthorpe Championship HOME
Sun 15 Sheffield (5.00pm) Championship HOME
AUGUST      

Sun 05 Ipswich (5.00pm) Championship HOME
Fri 10 Lakeside Championship Away
OFF
Sat 18 Berwick Championship Away
Sun 19 Newcastle Championship Away
Thu 23 Ipswich Championship Away
SEPTEMBER    

Sun 09 Berwick Championship HOME
Wed 12 Birmingham Inter-League Challenge Away
Fri 14 Workington Championship Away
Sat 15 Lakeside (At Rye House) 8.30app Championship Away
Sun 23 Lakeside (At Rye House) - 2pm KO Cup QF.1 Away
OFF
Sun 23 Lakeside - 7pm KO Cup QF.1 HOME
Sat 29 Lakeside (At Rye House) - 7pm Champ Shield SF.1 Away
Sat 29  Lakeside (At Rye House) - 8.30  KO Cup QF.2  Away 
Sun 30 Lakeside - 5pm Champ Shield SF.2 HOME
OCTOBER      

Fri 05 Scunthorpe KO Cup SF.1 Away
Sat 06 Lakeside (7.00pm) Championship PO SF.1 Away
OFF
Sun 07 Lakeside (5.00pm) Championship PO SF.1 HOME
Sat 13 Scunthorpe (7.00pm) KO Cup SF.2 HOME
Sun 14 Lakeside (5pm) Championship PO SF.2 Away
OFF
Sun 21 Lakeside (6pm) Championship PO SF.2 Away
Wed 24 Lakeside (7.30pm) Championship PO SF.2 Away

Needs more meetings against Lakeside!

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, bigcatdiary said:

I've always thought that regional leagues are the way to go, more derby matches

15 minutes ago, arnieg said:

Needs more meetings against Lakeside!

Need more finals by the looks of that list :lol:

And without wishing to labour the point... oh look Peterborough's 2nd most important meeting of the season (the final would have been, if they'd made it) being run on the penultimate Wednesday in October... The final, the biggest match of the season in the league, held 3 days later, abandoned after heat 13. 2nd leg the next day on the last Saturday in the season... and I won't even go into what happened in the Shield!!!

Edited by iainb
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Trees said:

I think you might be right to a certain extent, when your team is winning everyone is happy. King's Lynn do have their fair share of loud mouth, negative nellies though, just look at this forum lol

I think it's pretty much the case TBH. When Buster took over Peterborough and they weren't doing good, Buster got blamed on here for everything from team selection, crap track with no passing to a cobweb in the men's bogs. 

Now they are in general pretty happy. Lynn's fans have supported the club pretty well this season at the track, where it counts. The atmosphere was great when we got our first home win. It was like we had won the league lol. This forum is only a tiny section of Lynn fans. Maybe half a dozen might actually go to the AFA on a regular basis. I'm hoping Buster keeps on going until a new promoter is found, which won't be easy. Before that happens he might get his appetite back. I'll be there Thurs cheering the team on as usual.  

• Like 3