British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Birmingham v Poole. 1st September 2021

Next Wednesday instead of heading down the road to Wimborne Road we head up north to Birmingham. This could well be a very close and tough encounter. Brum are good around their patch. Hopefully a decent amount of Pirates fans will be making the 3 hour journey north to swell the crowd. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Next Wednesday instead of heading down the road to Wimborne Road we head up north to Birmingham. This could well be a very close and tough encounter. Brum are good around their patch. Hopefully a decent amount of Pirates fans will be making the 3 hour journey north to swell the crowd. 

School here is going back on 2nd Sept, not sure if it's the same in Birmingham which might affect attendences. 

New September averages mean Bomber goes at 1 for Brummies.

Poole should be the same 1-7 riding order.

Edited by Skidder1

1 hour ago, Skidder1 said:

I don't understand how Ben Cook is still on a 4.00 ave, must have done 4H+4A by now surely?

Edited by szkocjasid

28 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

I don't understand how Ben Cook is still on a 4.00 ave, must have done 4H+4A by now surely?

Ben has only ridden in 3 League away meetings.  Glasgow, Plymouth and Redcar. Edinburgh was his 4th.

His home match average is 8.94. His away average before Edinburgh was 5.88 Include Edinburgh it goes up to 5.92.

All unofficial figures just a quick look via Speedway updates webpage.

I stand to be corrected on any issue.

7 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

Interesting, I thought they may have swapped around a bit!

I guess Poole will run r/r for Basso on Wednesday as his Danish team are in their play-off semi finals. 

Danny, Stefan, Ben and Danyon can take the rides - better than a very limited choice of possible under 5 point guests!

2 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

I guess Poole will run r/r for Basso on Wednesday as his Danish team are in their play-off semi finals. 

Danny, Stefan, Ben and Danyon can take the rides - better than a very limited choice of possible under 5 point guests!

Might be wrong but I thought Ben Cook would have a ‘proper’ average calculated and declared in time for this meeting, probably moving him out of reserve and into the top five. That may alter Skidder’s thinking on Basso’s cover.

31 minutes ago, Dickie Head said:

Might be wrong but I thought Ben Cook would have a ‘proper’ average calculated and declared in time for this meeting, probably moving him out of reserve and into the top five. That may alter Skidder’s thinking on Basso’s cover.

No he doesnt! His 4th away meeting for Poole was at Edinburgh, which was AFTER the cut of date for September. See my post above.

36 minutes ago, Dickie Head said:

Yes could be but I doubt it. His 4th qualifying away meeting was Edinburgh on Friday, so any new 'proper' average would come into effect 7 days later, ie for Poole's home meeting with Glasgow, when Stefan Nielsen will probably drop to reserve with Danyon.

The issue for Matt/Danny/Middlo will then be which Ben rides at 2 & 4, I imagine.

Edited by Skidder1

59 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

This does ask the obvious question. Why bother with a young Danish rider whose club rides on a Wednesday causing a direct clash with our home meetings? There’s no doubt he is a talent and a top rider in the future, but if he can’t ride in the U.K. on Wednesdays during the Danish season, he’s going to be of little use to our club.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Steve Shovlar said:

This does ask the obvious question. Why bother with a young Danish rider whose club rides on a Wednesday causing a direct clash with our home meetings? There’s no doubt he is a talent and a top rider in the future, but if he can’t ride in the U.K. on Wednesdays during the Danish season, he’s going to be of little use to our club.

Well the promotion think it's worth the risk? And if he is missing and we are using r/r, then that is a bit stronger than using riders on 3.75 or below or whatever it was before. Even though they all did really well and it was good seeing more brits in the Poole side.

I don’t want to watch a team with r/r for the majority of home meetings.

Edited by Steve Shovlar