British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Glasgow v Poole/Poole v Glasgow. Playoff Final 2/4th Nov 2021.

23 minutes ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Barring a complete disaster, Poole have the advantage after the first leg.

So much will depend on the first few heats.  If Glasgow achieve heat advantages - the home side will probably crumble.

If Poole achieve heat advantages - the away side will probably crumble.

TBH  don't care  tuppence for who wins the contrived "p off final"  Poole are deserved league champions on the league table.

Be glad when this silly charade of a meeting held in early winter is over.  

So in summary , 10 points advantage from leg 1 might be enough , on the other hand it might not.

Why come on here and critise it tben stop moaning it's what it is :t:

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

So 7 points from Marcin and we win then :D

Me thinks u shud put that post in the fantasy speedway section of the forums :lol:

Edited by PirateShip

2 minutes ago, PirateShip said:

Me thinks u shud put that post in the fantasy speedway section of the forums :lol:

We shall see. I'd also be very surprised if cookie didn't win any races or Tom scored 4

33 minutes ago, old bob at herne bay said:

So much will depend on the first few heats.  If Glasgow achieve heat advantages - the home side will probably crumble.

TBH  don't care  tuppence for who wins the contrived "p off final"  Poole are deserved league champions on the league table.

So in summary , 10 points advantage from leg 1 might be enough , on the other hand it might not.

Poole are not deserved League Champions because it's a 'qualifying' league table and that's how it should be viewed to help stop detractors moaning about the play offs so much.

If Glasgow beat us then fair play to em, they will av earnt the right to be applauded as League Champions.

Something that brings added excitement and big crowds to the sport shud be embraced not dismissed.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

We shall see. I'd also be very surprised if cookie didn't win any races or Tom scored 4

We will most certainly see, fascinating end to the season with so many 'who will do wot' discussions.

Wot happens if it's a draw on agg? Dare I ask.

Golden heats? 

1 minute ago, PirateShip said:

We will most certainly see, fascinating end to the season with so many 'who will do wot' discussions.

Wot happens if it's a draw on agg? Dare I ask.

Golden heats? 

Replay :rofl:. Glasgow leg on Xmas Eve, Poole on boxing day

1 minute ago, Jaizer said:

Replay :rofl:. Glasgow leg on Xmas Eve, Poole on boxing day

Could always av the replay on the Gold Coast Oz! :rofl:

1 minute ago, Andrew2021 said:

A coupe of interesting facts about play-offs from Demark & Poland this year...

Holsted finished 5th in the regular league...won the Play Off Final!

Opole finished top of the Polish League 3, only lost 1 match all season. Topped league by a clear 8.  Lost the P/O Final to Landshut (who finished 3rd in regular league) on agg by one engine failure in 2nd leg.   Therefore lost out on Title & Promotion.  I was gutted for them. They had one bad meeting at Landshut in the final.

It's definitely a double edged sword play offs. I see the merit for clubs extra cash boost end of season, but then if you've been top all season then get hammered by injuries last month of season it's all for nothing. 

Sure seen mentioned before what's financial impact on regular season meetings. Example Glasgow Vs Newcastle (no disrespect meant) how many fans were bothered about going knowing probably win and save money for cup/ play offs. Is that loss negated by any profit from a play off semi/ final? I don't know

8 minutes ago, Andrew2021 said:

A coupe of interesting facts about play-offs from Demark & Poland this year...

Holsted finished 5th in the regular league...won the Play Off Final!

Opole finished top of the Polish League 3, only lost 1 match all season. Topped league by a clear 8.  Lost the P/O Final to Landshut (who finished 3rd in regular league) on agg by one engine failure in 2nd leg.   Therefore lost out on Title & Promotion.  I was gutted for them. They had one bad meeting at Landshut in the final.

Yep that's gutting. But how many times av titles been decided by ef. 

My favourite club rider Dave Perks, NLRC Peterborough '84......last bend last lap chain snapped only for Ian Barney to pass & take the title. This after he had won his 2 rides at the original staging at Wimbledon before the rain cancelled it. 

Gutting for all Long Eaton fans.

Edited by PirateShip
  • Like 1

How much does a team get money wise for winning the play offs?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Endeavour said:

Probably nowt off the BSPA

5 minutes ago, PirateShip said:

Yep that's gutting. But how many times av titles been decided by ef. 

My favourite club rider Dave Perks, NLRC Peterborough '84......last bend last lap chain snapped only for Ian Barney to pass & take the title. This after he had won his 2 rides at the original staging at Wimbledon before the rain cancelled it. 

Gutting for all Long Eaton fans.

Shades of Steve Lawson/Jim McMillan in the Pairs which they would have won but for practically the same thing, last bend chain break while leading, so handed the title on a plate to Martin Yeates and I think Simon Cross(?)

34 minutes ago, Endeavour said:

Isnt it just what they bring in for hosting a play off leg?...

Dont think there is an actual monetary prize..

If there is, it certainly isnt advertised or shouted about as far as I can see...

With no major sponsors, I wouldnt think it's a major "winner" for either team, but both teams reaching the final should make a "few quid"...

Obviously how much money they didnt make earlier in the season due to some fans giving the "qualifiers" a miss some weeks is something that isnt quantifiable..

36 minutes ago, PirateShip said:

Probably nowt off the BSPA

Well Peterborough certainly didn’t get anything, they didn’t even supply trophies for either team in the final.