British Speedway Forum
Beowulf

Wolverhampton 2022

7 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

No, Wolves should be lower league (training track), the Premiership should be full throttle racing. 

Would have Glasgow replace Wolves, possibly bring Leicester & Poole back up

Good luck convincing Wolves & Poole to move away from Mondays & Wednesdays then!

1 hour ago, szkocjasid said:

Good luck convincing Wolves & Poole to move away from Mondays & Wednesdays then!

And also Glasgow give up (a minimum), two local derbies against Edinburgh...

And instead have their nearest track Belle Vue, rather than having the likes of Berwick, Newcastle and Redcar within "reasonable" proximity..

Riding on a Monday or a Thursday too, rather than at the weekend...

Bet they couldnt wait to sign up to that...:D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Yes!! Go back up? I know @ray c wants that, but no thanks! Tbh at p+p day Dan Ford said he wasn't too sure about Poole being in the Championship but when asked if we would get moved back up, he said along the lines of not anytime soon. Also not just race nights, I think there was 30% saving when moving down to Championship. So business pov crazy to move back up atm. If we do move back up def want draws back!!! lol

1 hour ago, lisa-colette said:

Yes!! Go back up? I know @ray c wants that, but no thanks! Tbh at p+p day Dan Ford said he wasn't too sure about Poole being in the Championship but when asked if we would get moved back up, he said along the lines of not anytime soon. Also not just race nights, I think there was 30% saving when moving down to Championship. So business pov crazy to move back up atm. If we do move back up def want draws back!!! lol

That's the future of UK speedway sorted then, the rest drop down to save 30% and then half a dozen or more drop down to make the national league  like the old British and National league days 

• Like 2

On 4/18/2022 at 7:02 PM, Daniel Smith said:

No, Wolves should be lower league (training track), the Premiership should be full throttle racing. 

Would have Glasgow replace Wolves, possibly bring Leicester & Poole back up

Idiot!!!   What about Ipswich?

As for Leicester,,, what an awful track that is,, okay its slightly better than it used to be,, but it's still boring as hell

52 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

As for Leicester,,, what an awful track that is,, okay its slightly better than it used to be,, but it's still boring as hell

And Ipswich isn,t?....lol

On 4/18/2022 at 11:25 PM, Falcon1983 said:

That's the future of UK speedway sorted then, the rest drop down to save 30% and then half a dozen or more drop down to make the national league  like the old British and National league days 

Love this.

I'd always thought of it as the likes of Poole and Glasgow moving up but ultimately you're right the current six just drop down, forcing at least six to drop out of the CL. If those six dispense of doubling up and concentrate on developing young riders then the new CL (old PL) won't need fixed race nights. But without doubling up whose going to pay for the extra rider demands?

This won't be popular but I agree that a track like Wolves (Newcastle and Eastbourne likewise) doesn't produce the high speed full throttle style of modern speedway. Like it or not modern speedway a la SGP and Extraliga is all about riders building speed and momentum to create a passing opportunity and the modern bikes are set up to produce that. Tight tracks like Monmore Green  where speed is often scrubbed off looks ungainly in comparison.  Which is different to not producing exciting action. It just produces a different type of action.

Is there a place for different types of action? I loved the action at Brough Park growing up when the bikes weren't so quick and throttle control was key. But as bike speeds increased (or at least handling changed) the action at Newcastle has become a more difficult watch in comparison to the full throttle SGP or action from Belle Vue. 

So whilst it would be a shame to lose such a well run and historically important club as Wolves from the top flight I do agree that these technical types of track are more suited to a lower level where speeds are lower and youngsters can learn throttle control, a skill the best riders still possess even if they don't need to use it as often as before.

I keep banging on about 'the Product' and British speedway needs to decide what they want that product to look like. Especially if they're serious about generating streaming income worldwide. It's a conundrum for sure.

27 minutes ago, Moranboys said:

And Ipswich isn,t?....lol

Trust me,,, you will never find me anywhere saying it is. I'm not blinkered in the slightest,, I know ipswich produces not a lot most of the time 

1 minute ago, Baldyman said:

Trust me,,, you will never find me anywhere saying it is. I'm not blinkered in the slightest,, I know ipswich produces not a lot most of the time 

No reflection on you at all and I see where your,e coming from.in fairness all tacks have their good and bad meetings,iv,e seen some decent racing at Foxhall in the past,it,s just the nature of the sport.

It’s true, the top flight needs to be just on full throttle tracks. I mean how would Fricke, Zagar, Jack Holder etc hold down heat leader spots if they had to learn how  to slide their bikes regularly

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DJWolves said:

It’s true, the top flight needs to be just on full throttle tracks. I mean how would Fricke, Zagar, Jack Holder etc hold down heat leader spots if they had to learn how  to slide their bikes regularly

Zager did at Eastbourne for a season and averaged well over 8, and I remember Nicki Pedersen saying his years at Arlington helped him become a better rider on all tracks, and with the likes of him, Loram etc as our heat leaders certainly had some exciting races on our tight track. Think it says more about the standard of rider and bike tuning today than the tracks really. 

To me a smaller track or one with a different shape presents challenges which skilled riders master.  Wide open full throttle start to finish is quite easy to ride, depending on the surface of course and although that doesn't make winning easier because of course there are still four riders, it does make the performance of the bike and weight of the rider have more significance.

Maybe all tracks should be a figure of 8 like they av in banger racing......pause for thought...:rolleyes:

:rofl:

Maybe tracks that can’t get their floodlights to work should also just be training tracks

• Haha 2