British Speedway Forum
*JJ

Birmingham Brummies 2022

Great news.... Weds Sept 7th....Alan Grahame Memorial Meeting....

I look forward to paying my respect to a true legend of the sport.

Not just a great rider, but a great person too!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

I look forward to paying my respect to a true legend of the sport.

Not just a great rider, but a great person too!

Who is guesting?:rofl:

24 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Everybody.  Its a select side v a select side of who is available. 

59 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

its a bham v Cradley encounter... a fitting tribute!

3 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

That’s a great tribute to a brilliant servant to British speedway.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

That is a Wonderfull and fitting meeting for the man, I'm sure it will be a great turn out for the meeting.

Are the proceeds going to his family?

11 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

I'd like to think that the meeting will generate some funds that can go to the Grahame estate.  That said, with the crowds at the levels that they have been, you have to question if that's likely to happen. Is the Alan Grahame name being used just to boost crowd numbers just to cut losses, or is there a realistic chance of some money being raised that will go to the estate? I guess the answer to that depends on how attractive the teams put out on the night are, how people respond to the event and what the riders get paid for their attendance.

12 hours ago, uk_martin said:

I'd like to think that the meeting will generate some funds that can go to the Grahame estate.  That said, with the crowds at the levels that they have been, you have to question if that's likely to happen. Is the Alan Grahame name being used just to boost crowd numbers just to cut losses, or is there a realistic chance of some money being raised that will go to the estate? I guess the answer to that depends on how attractive the teams put out on the night are, how people respond to the event and what the riders get paid for their attendance.

Why should his estate benefit? I'll happily give money to a benefit for a permanently injured rider, or one who passed away while riding. But Grahame's passing was 20 years after being active in speedway and at an age when I assume* he had no dependents.

* If he had surviving children who were still minors that would change the situation entirely and I would be happy to see money raised go to them.

Edited by arnieg
  • Sad 1

Why not donate any profits to a charity of Alan's family's choice ?

Hodgkins Lymphoma springs to mind....

• Like 5

Hopefully this will become an annual event, when Joe Thurley passed away a few years back now there was one meeting The Joe Thurley memorial, it was never run again despite the promotion at the time saying Joe's name would be honoured annually, we had the Alan Hunt memorial which opened the season when Brummies reopened in 2007, was it ever run again? I am not sure to be honest, other individuals have long since fallen off the Brummies fixture, the second city trophy is no longer run, despite its popularity in its hey day, I would rather Brummies fill free dates in the fixture list with meetings like this, not a stupid competitions like the jubilee league which was dreamed up by the BSPA, Brummies should bring back the individuals in my opinion 

Edited by Gerbat1875

8 hours ago, Gerbat1875 said:

Hopefully this will become an annual event, when Joe Thurley passed away a few years back now there was one meeting The Joe Thurley memorial, it was never run again despite the promotion at the time saying Joe's name would be honoured annually, we had the Alan Hunt memorial which opened the season when Brummies reopened in 2007, was it ever run again? I am not sure to be honest, other individuals have long since fallen off the Brummies fixture, the second city trophy is no longer run, despite its popularity in its hey day, I would rather Brummies fill free dates in the fixture list with meetings like this, not a stupid competitions like the jubilee league which was dreamed up by the BSPA, Brummies should bring back the individuals in my opinion 

Those were the days when you saw the leagues top riders once maybe twice a season in the league or cup. Then your individual brought them together under one meeting. Now we see them guesting for either the home team or the away team quite frequently so the experience gets diluted.

Edited by Deano
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Deano said:

Those were the days when you saw the leagues top riders once maybe twice a season in the league or cup. Then your individual brought them together under one meeting. Now we see them guesting for either the home team or the away team quite frequently so the experience gets diluted.

What happened to things like the test matches which were run as a test series in the 70s, you know like Great Britain v Czechoslovakia, Australasia etc, remember seeing a few of them in the 70s, did we not pick up Phil Herne from matches like that, there is lots of stuff that can be resurrected in my opinion, I know the world final qualifications were brilliant, I used to love the inter-continental final at White City, you had stuff like British qualifiers where you had to qualify for the final, now it's all invitational, which is wrong in my opinion, you will never get a shock world champion anymore like syzackiel in 1973, all because the grand prix is the selected few, throw in a couple of wildcards, but generally unless someone is retired or seriously injured its basically the same field year in year out, people get bored, speedway needs a massive shake up in this country, our BSPA is killing the sport in the UK, it needs to give the fans something to attach to, but unfortunately the rules don't allow it, get rid of the play-offs, why can a team finishing 6th out of 10 have a chance of being league champions, a team finishing 6th is a failure, its finished below half way, champions to me are being Number 1 in the league standings, its bizarre, imagine the out cry if Man C or Liverpool won the PL and then had a shed load of injuries and lost a play off final to West ham/wolves etc by a dodgy decision, it don't make sense.