British Speedway Forum
Marksman

Championship Streaming Channel

On 1/29/2022 at 12:44 PM, pvm said:

Conversely, Suppose for a minute, someone decides to subscribe to an away meeting…and invites a gang of his mates around to have a “watch the speedway party” …. Bring your own food and booze, etc.. a few of whom have never been to a track before…  but after watching decide to join his mate at their local track.  It can work both ways.

You can either sit back and do nothing “out of fear” or try something new. The sit back and do nothing approach hasn’t worked so far, so I applaud this new venture and hope it provides a catalyst to grow the sport.

Spot on...

If it doesn't work then sack it....

But at least try..

5 hours ago, uk_martin said:

They stand no chance of fulfilling that desire. If it's set at £15 people will say it's only worth £10. If it's set at £10, people will complain that it isn't worth more than £5. A no-win situation. 

I think that they are hoping to create a core of viewers who will subscribe to all the meetings being shown and making their money that way, rather than hoping that 10 or 12 people will be interested enough in an away meeting that they will pay-as-they-go. 

How does this postcode recognition work? Do people who are within a given distance get charged the same price for the stream as they would at the gate to deter the lazy stay-at-homes, and those from a distance away get it cheaper? What technology prevents illegal rebroadcasts per what happens with Polish & Swedish TV streams?

price wise , people will always want it cheaper , whatever the product .

i for one would use the stream .the post code thing . that is something the Edinburgh promo did  . ask a monarch/Glasgow fan on here  . allowing away fans and people like myself to follow a meeting where their team or some other teams were involved in . the monarchs promo had a certain  milage from the track to your house .your post code told them your location . i dont see a problem with this stream .

its like workington fans wanting to stream a northside meeting lol .

do you get it now ? DOH 

you know its for the greater good . 

Edited by jenga

On 1/29/2022 at 12:44 PM, pvm said:

Conversely, Suppose for a minute, someone decides to subscribe to an away meeting…and invites a gang of his mates around to have a “watch the speedway party” …. Bring your own food and booze, etc.. a few of whom have never been to a track before…  but after watching decide to join his mate at their local track.  It can work both ways.

You can either sit back and do nothing “out of fear” or try something new. The sit back and do nothing approach hasn’t worked so far, so I applaud this new venture and hope it provides a catalyst to grow the sport.

you have just saved  bo jo s   job @ number 10 . it was a speedway meeting he was streaming !

Edited by jenga

We paid for the Glasgow v Poole 1st leg of the play off final think I paid £11-95 it was well worth the money - we live near Kings Lynn we was never going to attend this meeting but through streaming the Glasgow promotion gained £11-95 from us that has to be a positive and raise more income - now if I lived in Glasgow and normally attended there meetings the promotion lost money on me watching the stream  but I’d have thought swings and roundabouts it work out in the home promotion favour over all .

3 minutes ago, Haza said:

We paid for the Glasgow v Poole 1st leg of the play off final think I paid £11-95 it was well worth the money - we live near Kings Lynn we was never going to attend this meeting but through streaming the Glasgow promotion gained £11-95 from us that has to be a positive and raise more income - now if I lived in Glasgow and normally attended there meetings the promotion lost money on me watching the stream  but I’d have thought swings and roundabouts it work out in the home promotion favour over all .

Think the majority of speedway fans that’s left would probably still go to home meeting even if it was being streamed.I know I would.

9 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Think the majority of speedway fans that’s left would probably still go to home meeting even if it was being streamed.I know I would.

Exactly- the only time it may affect attendances I think if the weather was iffy - fans might stay at home then . 

6 hours ago, uk_martin said:

How does this postcode recognition work? Do people who are within a given distance get charged the same price for the stream as they would at the gate to deter the lazy stay-at-homes, and those from a distance away get it cheaper? What technology prevents illegal rebroadcasts per what happens with Polish & Swedish TV streams?

I'm not sure if there is a PPV option available.  At least the press release referred to a subscription basis but it wouldn't be the first time a press release didn't provide all the information.

If it's solely a subscription basis it doesn't matter where you're located.  It's no different to any other broadcaster you pay to watch, i.e. Discovery Sports.  You pay for their service if you want to watch the content they provide. The broadcaster doesn't mind where you are from because they don't sell tickets to the live event anyway.

Where a club is making all of their matches available to stream either on a subscription or PPV they want to protect their attendance figures to maximise income, on the basis that the streaming price is likely less than the ticket price to attend in person.  Therefore the streams are often restricted to users whose IP address is outside of the region in which the club derives its home crowd. I don't know how the technology works but as I understand it everyone's IP address is attached to a region and the host site will block any attempted connection from any restricted region. Using a VPN cloaks your IP address so that it appears to be from a region which isn't restricted.

In terms of technology to prevent illegal re-broadcasts I think it's down to the broadcaster to monitor and enforce the law to block those streams.  With regard to Polish and Swedish streams being made available to British audiences I don't think it results in any (or minimal) lost income to those broadcasters who have the right to broadcast those fixtures in the UK. In some cases the illegal streams probably aren't being broadcast in the UK anyway. Ultimately it's down to the broadcaster to protect their rights.

I would imagine (and hope) that the BSPL will do exactly that should streams of Championship matches be made available for free illegally.

Edited by enotian

40 minutes ago, Haza said:

Exactly- the only time it may affect attendances I think if the weather was iffy - fans might stay at home then . 

And that could actually be when the stream comes into its own...

Without it, at the moment those type of meetings with iffy weather get zero income from the 'stayaways'...

Maybe with a stream these people will still contribute some money...

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Haza said:

and remember, excluding play offs, it looks like it's only two/three of each clubs home fixtures which will be made available.  And if you've subscribed for the full season they've already had more money out of you than they would have anyway so the risk of missing ticket sales for two/three matches is worth the risk of generating new income from those who physically couldn't attend.

of course making the attending live product much better than the televised version will also help. after the last two years I think we all value shared experiences much more. One of the problems with speedway on TV is that the speed, sound and smell can't be conveyed fully to do it justice.  That's not dissimilar to most stadia based sports.  Attending in person is always a better experience.  But how much better is attending a live speedway meeting? 

1 hour ago, enotian said:

I'm not sure if there is a PPV option available.  At least the press release referred to a subscription basis but it wouldn't be the first time a press release didn't provide all the information.

If it's solely a subscription basis it doesn't matter where you're located.  It's no different to any other broadcaster you pay to watch, i.e. Discovery Sports.  You pay for their service if you want to watch the content they provide. The broadcaster doesn't mind where you are from because they don't sell tickets to the live event anyway.

Where a club is making all of their matches available to stream either on a subscription or PPV they want to protect their attendance figures to maximise income, on the basis that the streaming price is likely less than the ticket price to attend in person.  Therefore the streams are often restricted to users whose IP address is outside of the region in which the club derives its home crowd. I don't know how the technology works but as I understand it everyone's IP address is attached to a region and the host site will block any attempted connection from any restricted region. Using a VPN cloaks your IP address so that it appears to be from a region which isn't restricted.

In terms of technology to prevent illegal re-broadcasts I think it's down to the broadcaster to monitor and enforce the law to block those streams.  With regard to Polish and Swedish streams being made available to British audiences I don't think it results in any (or minimal) lost income to those broadcasters who have the right to broadcast those fixtures in the UK. In some cases the illegal streams probably aren't being broadcast in the UK anyway. Ultimately it's down to the broadcaster to protect their rights.

I would imagine (and hope) that the BSPL will do exactly that should streams of Championship matches be made available for free illegally.

I would imagine there is little chance of any Championship PPV/Subscription match being available on a stream - certainly i didn`t see any notification of Edinburgh or Glasgow streams being available to watch unless purchased. 

As far as Sweden and Poland go- if Premier Sport weren`t such a tin pot organisation, only showing some of the matches and then not all  live maybe more people would be happier to take out a Subscription.

All Polish Speedway streams are available outside Poland) Div 2 on Motowizja was problematic on occasions), although not all streamers make them available   to everyone.

I once again in 2022 will be taking out a Fanseat subscription which allows me to watch every Swedish, Danish and French league match for less than Premier would charge me for a sub standard service. 

Edited by racers and royals
  • Like 1

I think a big thing being missed when discussing "free" illegal streams is the format. Yes you can get illegal streams of Polish, Swedish and even Premiership meetings but these are broadcast on a television service which can be tapped into fairly easily.

An online stream of such a niche audience is highly unlikely to be hacked and companies that provide such services have many things in place to prevent them.

How many free Edinburgh, Glasgow or Redcar streams were available last year?

Whether streams take fans away from the tracks is yet to be determined. Edinburgh clearly feel it doesn't affect their crowd as they continue to stream weekly (I think only Poole have additionally announced their intention to stream each week so far). There is a whole audience of speedway fans that currently do not attend meetings whether that be due to ill health or purely distance to their nearest track (even more apparent with weekday tracks). Whilst we chase the new fan, this will hopefully bring some revenue for the already converted but just can't attend.

• Like 6

38 minutes ago, Marshall07 said:

I think a big thing being missed when discussing "free" illegal streams is the format. Yes you can get illegal streams of Polish, Swedish and even Premiership meetings but these are broadcast on a television service which can be tapped into fairly easily.

An online stream of such a niche audience is highly unlikely to be hacked and companies that provide such services have many things in place to prevent them.

Whether streams take fans away from the tracks is yet to be determined. Edinburgh clearly feel it doesn't affect their crowd as they continue to stream weekly (I think only Poole have additionally announced their intention to stream each week so far). There is a whole audience of speedway fans that currently do not attend meetings whether that be due to ill health or purely distance to their nearest track (even more apparent with weekday tracks). Whilst we chase the new fan, this will hopefully bring some revenue for the already converted but just can't attend.

It will be a niche market given the overall size of the sports following but sometimes that is perfect from a business perspective....

I personally have had no interest in watching any of the streams put out, however, that doesn't mean I won't be interested in the future...

The big challenge for me to make it a success is to make each league have some actually meaning, other than just facilitating a system for riders to earn money, which is basically what the sport in the UK has been allowed to evolve into....

If you could get that "this actually means something" into every meeting then streaming would have a much higher chance of success, simply down to more "neutrals" logging in...

Poland get lots of "neutrals" watching every week from the UK because it has some real relevance and reward...

Get that criteria into UK Speedway and it would make a huge difference to the streaming success I would suggest as circa 25,000 weekly regulars of the sport (with probably even more lapsed who still keep a pretty close interest), being a potential "huge" audience for its small size...

Getting credibility into the sport could be an absolute game changer for the success of the sport as an overall entity, and streaming in particular, as it would open it up to all rather than just mainly be of interest to the fans of the two teams being covered...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikebv said:

It will be a niche market given the overall size of the sports following but sometimes that is perfect from a business perspective....

I personally have had no interest in watching any of the streams put out, however, that doesn't mean I won't be interested in the future...

The big challenge for me to make it a success is to make each league have some actually meaning, other than just facilitating a system for riders to earn money, which is basically what the sport in the UK has been allowed to evolve into....

If you could get that "this actually means something" into every meeting then streaming would have a much higher chance of success, simply down to more "neutrals" logging in...

Poland get lots of "neutrals" watching every week from the UK because it has some real relevance and reward...

Get that criteria into UK Speedway and it would make a huge difference to the streaming success I would suggest as circa 25,000 weekly regulars of the sport (with probably even more lapsed who still keep a pretty close interest), being a potential "huge" audience for its small size...

Getting credibility into the sport could be an absolute game changer for the success of the sport as an overall entity, and streaming in particular, as it would open it up to all rather than just mainly be of interest to the fans of the two teams being covered...

Just what is the ‘ relevance and reward ‘ then ?  How is winning the league in Poland different to winning the league anywhere else ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

Just what is the ‘ relevance and reward ‘ then ?  How is winning the league in Poland different to winning the league anywhere else ?

Good question .  is there an answer to this ?

4 hours ago, Marshall07 said:

I believe due to them having an already good “in house “streaming set-up in place they made a decent amount of money from streaming every match without forking out money to an independent streaming service.Glasgow on the other hand outsourced their streaming service (I believe).