British Speedway Forum
Petecc

Birmingham v Edinburgh 08/06/22

42 minutes ago, Gerbat1875 said:

Can't Pearson pick up a team slot in the lower division?, the kid looks shot to pieces at Birmingham, it's a shame because there is obviously potential but Brum can't tap into it for some reason, Rowe would be an excellent choice but will or can the Brummies afford it, Auty supposed to be back sometime in July, Vissing I don't think will see the season out, very worrying times for Brum and the fan numbers are dwindling, on recent performances we would be hard pressed to beat Newcastle who many say are the weakest team in the league, over to you Laurence Rogers, 

You would have thought since he is actually a Belle Vue asset, protected signing or whatever it's called this week, they would have been giving him some time with the Colts. But obviously the fact he is Australian is going against him there.

33 minutes ago, cinderfella said:

You would have thought since he is actually a Belle Vue asset, protected signing or whatever it's called this week, they would have been giving him some time with the Colts. But obviously the fact he is Australian is going against him there.

Doesn't qualify as no British passport I believe 

It's a vicious circle, poor side gets poor results gets moderate crowds gets no money to strengthen .   I hope my prediction of brum folding is wrong, to an outsider is there enough support for a side in the city ?

3 hours ago, Gerbat1875 said:

Not a chance of the play offs, damage already been done. 

Yeah think many fans saw that team and thought no chance, me for one knew we Morris and shanes in that team we aren’t doing well. Just quoting what the promotes wanted top 6 finish. 

2 hours ago, Brummies23 said:

Yeah think many fans saw that team and thought no chance, me for one knew we Morris and shanes in that team we aren’t doing well. Just quoting what the promotes wanted top 6 finish. 

When Vissing and Ellis were announced i thought we would reach the play offs, unfortunately too many inconsistencies throught out the team, only Stefan Nielsen has been pretty good, Sedgeman come in and done well but the others have been below bang average, losing Ellis was a massive blow, now we will struggle to stay off bottom place, unfortunately this is probably the last season in Birmingham Speedway history, our one chance to build a competitive team and attract fans back as failed miserably, I do feel sorry for the new promotion but at the end of the day as in all sports you need a winning team to attract good support, it just has not worked out and I would say Brummies speedway are done for 

3 hours ago, ruckerroo said:

It's a vicious circle, poor side gets poor results gets moderate crowds gets no money to strengthen .   I hope my prediction of brum folding is wrong, to an outsider is there enough support for a side in the city ?

the answer is NO, speedway in Birmingham is hardly even mentioned these days unless its between the diehards, ask any young kids about speedway they look at you like your from another planet, Birmingham can hardly fill the football stadiums, 55,000 average between Villa and Birmingham is terrible for the size of Birmingham, kids love the T20 cricket in Brum, offers great value and entertainment, unfortunately speedway cant compete 

6 hours ago, Gerbat1875 said:

the answer is NO, speedway in Birmingham is hardly even mentioned these days unless its between the diehards, ask any young kids about speedway they look at you like your from another planet, Birmingham can hardly fill the football stadiums, 55,000 average between Villa and Birmingham is terrible for the size of Birmingham, kids love the T20 cricket in Brum, offers great value and entertainment, unfortunately speedway cant compete 

Sorry I have to disagree with your football comparison, Villa can fill there ground week in week out, Birmingham City are the equivelant of Brummies Speedway poorly run for seasons mainly due to lack of investment build a succesful Team and people will come to watch,  T20 has had money thrown at it and so have the facilities, County cricket has fewer spectators than Speedway, whats the answer  for Speedway ?, That I have no idea except 1 man and his bike for hire (Doubling up) is NOT the answer a bit more in the way of promotion/presentation might help but at the end of the day people pay/want to be entertained and Speedway is obviously failing in that.

• Like 2

No disrespect to Auty, but to hear that he's possibly coming back in July (after such a nasty injury) is only going to make us even weaker than we are now.

We are 'Vissing in the wind' with Claus....waste of money IMO!

Not sure what experience or knowledge the new consortium have/had, but as much as I admire their commitment, I think 'we' are only going in one direction and it's definitely not up!

Off the track, they have got a lot of things right.....no need to make any comments about the team, it's there for all to see.

To counter-act the fact that we were late entering and choices were limited....we should of sat this season out and made plans for next year.

The Adam Ellis saga doesn't sit right with me (I don't know the details) but whatever they were, it appears like we've shot ourselves in the 'hoof'!

I would love to hear the thoughts of Brian Buck.

8 hours ago, Gerbat1875 said:

When Vissing and Ellis were announced i thought we would reach the play offs, unfortunately too many inconsistencies throught out the team, only Stefan Nielsen has been pretty good, Sedgeman come in and done well but the others have been below bang average, losing Ellis was a massive blow, now we will struggle to stay off bottom place, unfortunately this is probably the last season in Birmingham Speedway history, our one chance to build a competitive team and attract fans back as failed miserably, I do feel sorry for the new promotion but at the end of the day as in all sports you need a winning team to attract good support, it just has not worked out and I would say Brummies speedway are done for 

Somebody has to finish bottom and I would gladly accept it if it were us....but 'only' if we went down fighting week in week out....

I'm fed up of guests and inadequate performances.

Not looking to blame anyone, just expressing an opinion.

Would I miss Bham speedway if we folded? 

Only from a 'heritage' point....in the blood an all that. I certainly don't have the same attachment for speedway as I used to have.

Edited by GiveusaB

32 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

Somebody has to finish bottom and I would gladly accept it if it were us....but 'only' if we went down fighting week in week out....

Only from a 'heritage' point....in the blood an all that. I certainly don't have the same attachment for speedway as I used to have.

You won't finish bottom courtesy of that away win at Oxford :D

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, cinderfella said:

You won't finish bottom courtesy of that away win at Oxford :D

Newcastle might beat us at PB ? :D

2 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

Newcastle might beat us at PB ? :D

Depending who hires the best Guests..!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Gerbat1875 said:

Birmingham can hardly fill the football stadiums, 55,000 average between Villa and Birmingham is terrible for the size of Birmingham, 

Ha ha, brilliant. I officially apologise on Villa's behalf for only being to fit 41,000 fans in for a home game with 20,000 fans on the season ticket waiting list.

:rofl:

4 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

Valid opinion and probably shared by fans of every team nowadays, but sadly there isn't enough riders of similar/decent quality to keep people interested. I've just seen the line up for both teams at Edinburgh tonight and it consists of 4 guests and 2 rr. 

4 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Valid opinion and probably shared by fans of every team nowadays, but sadly there isn't enough riders of similar/decent quality to keep people interested. I've just seen the line up for both teams at Edinburgh tonight and it consists of 4 guests and 2 rr. 

I'll get abuse for this but it begs the question that really needs asking: " Do we need a couple of teams to fold and perhaps go to one league (and the NDL) to have enough riders?" or do we cut teams to say 6 with 2 H/Ls, 2 S/Ss and 2 reserves one of whom must be from the NDL.

Whatever the solution is action needs taken now or the sport as we know it will die within the next decade.