British Speedway Forum
Shaleshifter

Oxford Vs Poole Jubilee Cup &Return 2nd-3rd August

Everyone at Poole , management, officials, riders & fans, have always made me feel extremely welcome despite living 192miles away and never having lived in the area.

:t:

Edited by Turnip
  • Like 2

Some background information on Neil Diamond's tune Sweet Caroline please click on the link below :).

It was actually released in my year of birth & I also  share Mr Diamond's first name........now would I go so far as to say I'm a Diamond?.....hell why not?! .....I'm a diamond geezer! :D

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/sweet-caroline-lyrics-neil-diamond-meaning-football-b2137855.html

Edited by Turnip
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Turnip said:

Some background information on Neil Diamond's tune Sweet Caroline please click on the link below :).

It was actually released in my year of birth & I also  share Mr Diamond's first name........now would I go so far as to say I'm a Diamond?.....hell why not?! .....I'm a diamond geezer! :D

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/sweet-caroline-lyrics-neil-diamond-meaning-football-b2137855.html

That has made me feel very old. I was 14 when he released it! 

I agree with you about everyone at Poole too and the same applies to most tracks I have been to. Riders always happy to chat and have photos taken especially with the kids. My daughter even has a shirt that was signed by every rider in the team in that year, I remember Antonio Lindback was very chatty that night. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, auntie doris said:

Batch has really gone downhill. Could be because he has a kiddie now, playing it safer. He rode for Poole before Swindon, and in the Robins double-winning last season in 2019 was top of averages with Doyley. Be lucky if he's in top 20 in either league now. Ex GP rider.

He is still as unreliable as ever but has more poor meetings these days, scored ok  at Kings Lynn yesterday but poorly at Poole the night before. You just never know what he is going to get. 

38 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

He is still as unreliable as ever but has more poor meetings these days, scored ok  at Kings Lynn yesterday but poorly at Poole the night before. You just never know what he is going to get. 

Has been "allegedly" quoted as saying that when he doesn't gate he doesn't bother? Wouldn't have a place in my team with that attitude if true.

17 hours ago, Christine Hawes said:

Some of us are on a pension and with the rising cost of fuel, food heating etc can't afford to travel to away meetings like we used to.  At one time I wouldn't have missed a meeting, home or away, but now have to think  about what meetings I go to.  It doesn't make me any less of a supporter though.  Think yourself lucky that  you can afford it and make the most of it while you stIll can.

I'm afraid it's the usual Steve Shovlar "assumption" without any substamce.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Has been "allegedly" quoted as saying that when he doesn't gate he doesn't bother? Wouldn't have a place in my team with that attitude if true.

Playing the old “riding safely to reduce any risk and injury” system, where riders work out that 10 points a meeting every meeting is better than 12 points and a far higher risk factor for the extra 2 points. Chasing and passing for those extra few points is not worth it if the chance of an injury is 100% higher. They could lose weeks out chasing an extra £50.

Makes sense to those longer in the tooth to keep their careers going into their late 30’s/early 40’s. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

No I wouldn't either but I can see why Ipswich got him as he was on a low average for his ability and he has had a decent season overall. 

Apart from Batch:s heat win it seemed like he cudn't control the bike. Dunno if the bike was misfiring or something. He was all over the place.

He was certainly 'outback'! :rofl:

It's the way I tell em :D

2 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Playing the old “riding safely to reduce any risk and injury” system, where riders work out that 10 points a meeting every meeting is better than 12 points and a far higher risk factor for the extra 2 points. Chasing and passing for those extra few points is not worth it if the chance of an injury is 100% higher. They could lose weeks out chasing an extra £50.

Makes sense to those longer in the tooth to keep their careers going into their late 30’s/early 40’s. 

Glad that the pure racers don't have that attitude otherwise it would be a poor spectacle. Perhaps that explains why the likes of Lars Gunnerstad didn't bother on his visits to Cowley when he missed the gate or perhaps just didn't have the ability to make a passing move?

On that assumption why not declare a race after the first two bends?

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, foreverblue said:

No I wouldn't either but I can see why Ipswich got him as he was on a low average for his ability and he has had a decent season overall. 

We can all quote riders down the years who relied purely on their gating skills and had little apparent interest in attempting to pass but to make a comment publicly is not exactly showing much respect for the public...in my opinion. Unfortunately I was only told second hand about the said comment as it appeared on Facebook which is something I don't participate in. Perhaps someone could confirm?

Edited by steve roberts

35 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

We can all quote riders down the years who relied purely on their gating skills and had little apparent interest in attempting to pass but to make a comment publicly is not exactly showing much respect for the public...in my opinion. Unfortunately I was only told second hand about the said comment as it appeared on Facebook which is something I don't participate in. Perhaps someone could confirm?

I can't confirm but I have heard other people saying Batch said this as well. 

• Thanks 1

Despite his relatively modest return at Sandy Lane on Tuesday, I don't think you can fault Troy Batchelor's effort when he was behind in any of the races. Certainly seemed to give his all in trying to pass (or defend in some cases), especially in chasing Steve Worrall in heat 11. Can't comment on the away fixture, though.

Edited by baiden
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Turnip said:

Is your version, "Swede Caroline".

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Is your version, "Swede Caroline".

Very good :lol:

Being a blonde I av to look after her roots :D

Edited by Turnip